News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

JESII

Re: Funny golf stories
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
As a kid, "the wall" was where we waited to get out for a loop. There would be dozens of us on summer weekend mornings.

The wall was just outside the pro shop, from which you could see members show up and walk from the parking lot to the locker room...inevitably to emerge a few minutes later to get ready to play.

One of these guys was brutal to play with and could never get a regular game...or maybe even a game at all. This one day he shows up and heads into the locker room and once inside our top prankster jumped into a trash can that was placed about halfway between the locker room and the shop. This was one of those big steel trash cans with a big high lid and that you push the door/flap open to discard whatever it is you have. The can probably held 50 gallons of crap and a single 20ish year old caddy...

Bob comes out of the locker room and as he's approaching the pro shop and caddy master to ask about filling out a foursome, our guy chirps out...

"Hey Bob, need a fourth!"

Bob naturally spins around excited but sees nobody there. Assumes he must have been hearing things and turns back to the caddy master's direction and our guy chirps out again...

Hey Bob, we need a fourth!

After the third time (and about 30 kids on the wall are dying...just dying), Bob grabs his putter and heads down to the putting green.

I'm still laughing just thinking about it.

JESII

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »
Rocky certainly deserves a book.

The 16th green at PV has a very difficult right edge hole location. The whole green slopes from right to left, other than this 12 or 15 foot section closest to the pond on the right. If you're online with the pin and putting from 10 - 20 feet short of the hole, it's a difficult putt and read, but experience is obviously king.

As mentioned somewhere along the way, Rocky is rather round. About 5'3" and 250. We had another much larger caddy out with us as well (must have been a tournament if three of us were out there)...maybe 325 lbs. On this particular putt, Rocky hadn't given his player much attention but knew the read and was standing on the right apron with the other caddy (nearly 600 lbs of caddy over there). Just before putting, the player says I can't rally tell Rock, what do you think? Straight? Without a blink, Rocky pipes up "Pro, you see where the two of us are standing? Which way do you think it's going?"

Another time, on 17 with it's elevated green and plenty of stuff in the way from the fairway to the green Rocky has Terry Francona who's about 6'4". Francona hits his wedge up towards the green. He hit a good shot so he's naturally very curious how good it is.

Francona: "Where is it Rock? Is it on the green?"
Rocky: "Pro come over here. Now skootch down here a little. No no, skootch lower. Come on, lower! Down here where I am. Now look up at the green. That's what the hell I can see. How would I know if your ball is on the green?"   

JESII

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:56 AM »
After a significant discussion / debate over a 6 or 7 iron on the downhill over water 14th, his player decides he can get there with a 7 iron. Before backing away with the bag, Rocky leans over close to the guys ball and says to it, "take a deep breath buddy!".

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2020, 10:01:05 AM »
After a significant discussion / debate over a 6 or 7 iron on the downhill over water 14th, his player decides he can get there with a 7 iron. Before backing away with the bag, Rocky leans over close to the guys ball and says to it, "take a deep breath buddy!".

What's the over/under on handicap that enjoys this shit from a caddie. 14?

Bernie Bell

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »

What's the over/under on handicap of the player that after 13 holes at Pine Valley doesn't listen to his pro jock?  Vanity 8?

JESII

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »
John,

He does it without an ounce of mean spirit or condescension. It's really quite amazing.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2020, 10:51:39 AM »
John,

He does it without an ounce of mean spirit or condescension. It's really quite amazing.

I'm sure he is a saint. Do members request him for their bags or do they put him on their guests for the entertainment value?

JESII

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »
Yes

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »

What's the over/under on handicap of the player that after 13 holes at Pine Valley doesn't listen to his pro jock?  Vanity 8?

Have you ever seen a vanity 8 hit a soft 6 off a downhill lie over water? A pro jock knows better.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »
Pine Valley just made my list. I prefer to wind the box.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »

Have you ever seen a vanity 8 hit a soft 6 off a downhill lie over water? A pro jock knows better.

The vanity 8's problem is he thinks it's a soft 6.  #17 on my home course is downhill over water, 190 from the back, 175 from the whites.  I have seen many a single-digit player go Luca Brasi and lose the hole to my high cap friend who finds no shame in hitting 3 wood, even driver if there's wind.  A dry ball is a happy ball.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:30:24 PM by Bernie Bell »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
I prefer the term cinco-digit cause if you are over a 5 you're just playing for laughs.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »
I prefer the term cinco-digit cause if you are over a 5 you're just playing for laughs.
This is the thread for funny stories though.  The Lament of the Vanity Cinco belongs with the golf tragedies.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:27:38 PM by Bernie Bell »

Bruce Katona

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
JK:

My cinco-digit plus a bit is invited to play frequently......I play for laughs (even a scratch gets 3 a side against any level of tour level player) and someone has to play in order for the 15's to win and get paid in the Nassau.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
I'd not been a member for long, and was drawn one Saturday with a couple of guys I didn't know. After a very convivial front nine, the conversation turned to what we did for a living. Chris said that he was a GP (family doctor) at a local surgery.

I was marking his card so I glanced at his surname and the penny dropped immediately.
"We've met before" I said, thrusting out my hand.  "The last time you had my balls in one hand and a scalpel in the other!"

It was true. Chris had a profitable little sideline in minor surgery and had performed my vasectomy some years earlier!

For some reason he hadn't remembered my face nor me his!  ;D 

Greg Holland

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2020, 05:07:34 PM »
Rocky is the best - I have 2 good stories.  First, we were getting ready to tee off, and Rocky and another caddy walk over and start looking at our bags and clubs.  One in our foursome had a tour style bag.  Rocky grabbed a walking bag from the clubhouse and started pulling the clubs out of it, saying we won't be carrying that one today.  Then, he was looking at the clubs -- and my buddy actually carried an Alien wedge (remember the infomercial) in his bag.  Rocky, looks over at us and our host, and says "Yo Pro, what the f@#$ is this - I can't carry for this guy."  He then switched to my bag.

On the 14th hole, he told me what I should hit, and said it needed to go 185.  I told him I hit one club less than he suggested 185 and it was downhill.  He pulled out his wallet, and said "Yo pro, what the f@#% does that say" as he handed me a business card.  It has the PV logo, his name, and "Wind & Yardage Consultant" printed on it.  I hit the club he told me and made par. ;D [size=78%]  [/size]

archie_struthers

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2020, 09:24:34 PM »
 8) ;)

I love Rocky. He certainly wasn't technically great but was incredibly funny. Don't know who unleashed him on Pine Valley but pretty sure his first loop there was with me. Tommy Elder was our boss and really good at the job. Would never let Rocky out with a serious group of golfers and ROCK was smart enough to behave during tournaments> As Jimmy S said he wasn't the smart -alec caddie who we all know. The guy who tells you how to play and can't break an egg himself. Rather he was just a really funny SOB.

Of course he did spend an occasional day or two in the penalty box :-X
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:57:02 PM by archie_struthers »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »
Not a funny story, but 100% true . . . . . wrote this a few years back:

MY MOST MEMORABLE SHOT

Gib Papazian

My Most Memorable Shot in Golf:

Great shots can be miracles or flukes, but sometimes they represent a mental keepsake of a special moment in time. My most memorable shot involves an 87 year-old man named Douglas Graham.

Around 1995 I wrote a piece for the local rag about a wonderful golf course called Deep Cliff (Cupertino, CA). I had come to see it on the recommendation of a friend who ran a club populated by elderly women golfers.

Hidden in a little valley adjacent to a sprawling metropolis, Clark Glasson routed this little par 60 jewel around a tree lined creek, at the base of a cliff where local legend has it that two young lovers leapt to their deaths before the turn of the century.

Suicide pacts aside, I thought it was an ideal destination for juniors, ladies, seniors - and an excellent place to bludgeon low handicappers with more ego than brains.

As part of my research, I erroneously wrote in my column that the course record was 55 - which despite it's length seemed plausible given the cleverly contoured greens and overhanging elm trees.

A week or so later, I received a beautifully composed letter with lyrical penmanship from this elderly gentleman in Sacramento named Doug Graham. Enclosed was an article from the San Jose Mercury in1964 about this man who shot 50 at Deep Cliff.

Someone had noticed my error and sent off a copy of the article to Doug - who was living in assisted care near his daughter after losing his wife of 50 years.

So began this friendship of letters and columns back and forth on all things golf and life. Doug was born in Scotland, but his family emigrated to Michigan when he was nine. His first job? - a caddie at storied Oakland Hills.

He still remembered his first golf lesson on the back lawn behind the clubhouse by a beautifully dressed professional who had taken a liking to his young caddy.

Quite a fuss was made about an exhibition match that day and taking a break from the party for a smoke, Walter Hagen told the boy to fetch a club and a few balls and he would give him some pointers.

Over the next few years, I waited for Doug's letter like a small child peering into the mailbox every day because there was invariably a great story or piece of Michigan golf history waiting for me. Doug and his wife had moved to Santa Clara sometime in the late 1950's, but for him it always seemed like time stopped after the Great War.

I never called him on the phone the first three years - maybe I was afraid to break the magic - so though he was only 90 miles away, we communicated only as pen pals. Doug hand-wrote his letters, always with perfect form and never a misspelling. I typed mine - ashamed of my horrible handwriting and need for a spell checker.

One day the phone rang and the voice on the other end was a creaky sounding man with a hint of Scottish brogue and maybe a dash or two of whiskey.

Doug was coming to Colma with his daughter to put flowers on his wife’s grave and wanted to buy me lunch. I told him that I needed a putting lesson and some grandfatherly advice and asked him join me on Olympic Club's 9-hole Cliffs Course, a par-3 layout that clings precariously to the foggy bluffs above the windswept Pacific coastline.

It took Doug a long time to climb the stairs at my office, standing before me all of 5’6” and barely 120 pounds of skin, bone and a red nose. I asked him if he was sure he could walk the nine holes. Though he admitted having not played for several years since taking a fall, he was going to give it a go.

So off we went to Olympic, first for lunch and a dram or two to get the joints oiled. His set of clubs featured a weather beaten Helen Hicks 5-wood and a series of mismatched irons he carried because “they feel right.”

I’ve got to admit to being nervous that my #1 fan was going to take a fall right there on the tee and silently prayed that the flaps on his ancient two-toned Foot Joys would still be upright when we reached the 9th green.

Too proud to play from the front tees, Doug pulled his 5-wood, teed up his Top Flite and without a practice swing or moment of hesitation whacked the ball 75 yards right down the center.

The problem was the hole is 184 yards long and the women’s tees are 80 years down the fairway. Still, I was thrilled he made contact after so many years and pulled my 3-iron hoping it was enough to get there into the teeth of the breeze.

“I’ll tell you what,” said Doug, “since you are going to hit a great shot, how about if I just play from where your ball ends up?”

“Only if you want to play from a buried lie under the lip of the bunker,” I said with my usual confidence.

Doug laughed and gave me this knowing, far off look in his eyes.

“Show me a great shot,” he said firmly.

“You just jinxed me,” I said. “This will probably be a shank.”

“Hit it with confidence like you have done it a thousand times Gib. That is the key to golf.”

Cold stare.

“Now, show me you can do it,” he said.

I nervously addressed the ball, re-gripping it a half dozen times.

My spine shivers writing this because I can still feel the compression of that Titleist flush against the clubface. The ball took off like a shrieking rocket into the wind, right at the flag with a tiny draw.

Oh my God. It went in.

Dead center. Bottom of the cup. Right before my eyes. First swing of the day, first shot I had ever hit in front of him.

“It sounded pretty good, where did it go?” Doug asked.

I later realized that Doug is nearly blind. The flagstick may as well have been cut on the Farallon Islands 25 miles offshore, yet he knew in some metaphysical way what was to come.

Shocked, I fished the ball out of the hole and staggered in a daze to the next tee. It was as if this little man willed my ball into the hole as a gift to me for paying attention to him all those years.

But the gift was not the ace, but the letters of wisdom I still have stacked upstairs in my golf library – right on the shelf next to "Scotland’s Gift" and a signed copy of "The Evangelist of Golf " after our book was finally published.

We never finished the nine holes, Doug started to tire after the fifth and I carried both of our bags back to the clubhouse. After he sat to rest for a while, his daughter showed up to retrieve him. She was nearly 65 with gray hair and a kindly face.

She thanked me several times for taking the time to invite her father out to play golf, commenting that except for singing in the church choir, he rarely gets away from the senior home.

Before she drove away, he gave me a ball marker that had been in his bag for decades as a keepsake. Doug knew he would probably never see me again and I am sorry to say he was right.

I still received letters from time to time for the next couple of years and always wrote back, but we never spoke again. His handwriting started to get noticeably shakier the last year as he alluded to battling a health condition.

One day the letters stopped coming and the lady at the senior home said he had been moved to a convalescent hospital, but did not know where.

I had not the presence of mind to get his daughter’s married name and address that day and Doug disappeared from my life without a trace.

Still, every time I stand on the 1st tee of the Cliffs Course, I silently say to myself “Show me a great shot.”

Maybe if I say it enough times, a letter will reappear in my mailbox.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »
Awesome story Gib

archie_struthers

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
 ;)

Gib maybe not a funny story, but it sure made me smile!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2020, 07:47:56 PM »
Is that a story or a tweet storm?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2020, 07:52:25 PM »
Is that a story or a tweet storm?
\His readers probably had a short attention span. ;)   Teared up, which is getting easier.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2020, 07:54:34 PM »
Barny,

No, 100% true, I swear to God. I've still got all his letters . . . . 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2020, 07:58:22 PM »
Barny,

No, 100% true, I swear to God. I've still got all his letters . . . .

I'm not questioning the truth. I knew it was true when you reminded me of your regrip habit. I imagine this was the start of it.

Played the Cliffs this year with a 5 wood. Loved every second.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2020, 09:51:21 PM »

Barny Gillette,

Thanks for calling me you fuckin' twat. Afraid I'd bring the Huckster along? Next time I'm lost in the Rust Belt at Vic National, I'll forget to ring your cell too.

And I don't regrip anymore - gone back to my walk-up and hit it ethos. The thyroid medicines gave me the shakes.

But, the yipes remain . . . . worse than Shivas.

You must have hated that steak at Broadway Prime . . . .   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back