News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Paul Jansen posted
« on: April 02, 2020, 02:04:50 PM »
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-paul-jansen/

Though golf course architect Paul Jansen is now based in Toronto, Canada, golf in North America is about the only thing not covered in this month’s Feature Interview. Instead we go to the "bushveld" golf courses in South Africa, Bagan GC in Myanmar with its centuries old pagodas, Nepal and the course I most want to see in the world (Himalaya Golf Course), Sri Lanka, on and on. This Feature Interview hammers home that the diversity of playing grounds lies at heart of the sport's never ending appeal.

Paul gained his knowledge on golf course architecture mostly first hand through travel. I don't know many people who have been to 60  :o countries but happily, Paul shares some of his amazingly varied experiences with us today. Naturally, the places he has seen have shaped his perceptions on architecture. One matter of great importance to him is the non-playing areas (i.e. everything but the tees, fairways and greens). At course after course, country after country, he sees the input and human hours maintaining the non-golf areas as wasteful and undesired. That's a favorite subject of mine as well as witnessed by my two favorite courses in the Carolinas (Pinehurst No. 2, Yeamans Hall) which excel at the non-playing areas.

Time and again, the word 'unique' appears in Paul's answers. He clearly values variety and idiosyncrasy and finds the desire of some clubs to strive toward a norm to be abhorrent. Seeing pagodas or rail lines or water hogs or pineapple trees are far more appealing than a bunker on the right 275 yards from the tee and one on the left 295 yards. No surprise, he embraces a ‘less is more’ philosophy. When man leaves well enough alone and let's nature take center stage, count Paul as a fan, be it a course beside Kruger National Park or dainty, elegant flowering trees at  Yay Tagon Taung GC in Myanmar. Bottom line: He is after a strong sense of place.

Bushveld golf

To gain additional insight into his taste for adventure, be sure to check out his own list of worthy courses to explore: <http://www.jansengolfdesign.com/blog/top-100-golf-courses-you-may-never-have-heard-of-but-must-visit>

Another of Paul’s special interests lies in short game facilities, which he thinks is an after-thought at too many clubs. He has teamed with Dave and Eddie Pelz to create artificial short game solutions that he hopes will make practicing that part of the game as much fun as playing. As he notes, "Everyone on this forum believes that golf courses need to be fun and similarly Dave sees the need for practice to be fun. It's hard to motivate yourself and get better when a practice area is dull and uninspiring (this applies to golf courses too). Dave wants the golfer to be creative, use his/her imagination and be motivated to hit an extraordinary shot and not dictated to try only one type shot."

When he decided to leave Africa to expand his knowledge, his first visit was - coincidentally - to Tom Clark, last month's Feature Interviewee. Golf architecture is indeed a small world and perhaps those of us in North America will start seeing more of him now that his family is based in Toronto. In the meanwhile, when you are next in Bangladesh. and you see a man in a floppy hat, you might well have bumped into this month’s Feature Interviewee. If he likes Pinotage, then you definitely have!

Best,
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:36:34 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Thomas Dai

Re: Feature Interview with Paul Jansen posted
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
Terrific interview. Informative, educational, insightful, thought provoking. Well done Ran and Paul.
There’s certainly a fair few interesting countries and locations mentioned. Not sure I’d like to meet some of the animals and reptiles and insects etc that reside in those countries and regions though. I expect Paul has some interesting encounter tales to tell.

Some very interesting projects mentioned, for example the sand dunes east of Port Elizabeth are pretty epic. Shame that development hasn’t come off. One aspect I’d be be curious to know more about is dealing with drainage in monsoon areas.
That’s a fine website/blog referenced too. Some very intriguing sounding courses on the listing. Plenty of rural and rustic types with novel approaches to upkeep I expect.
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 09:26:47 PM »
I had the pleasure of traveling with Paul for ten days last year, in Kenya and Zambia.  We toured 17 courses in ten days, which gives you an idea of his passion for what he does; we also spent quite a bit of time with the Kenya Golf Union, pro bono, to try and help steer them in the right direction.  [Honestly, they've done pretty well, with limited resources.] 

Four of the courses we saw made Paul's "alternate top 100" list, which has seen a few changes since he first shared it three years ago -- and my thanks to him for being the one who first put places like Shek O and Ootacamund on my radar.

The niche he has chosen is quite unique and I honestly don't know how he has the energy to pursue it as he does.  He is simultaneously one of the people most affected by the coronavirus epidemic [because of his international spread] and one of the people whose clients are least affected [because most or all of them exist for the locals and not for international visitors].

He did get a little nervous, though, after we'd had one flat tire on the way to Nchanga, and had to navigate some of worst roads I've ever experienced to get back to Ndola without another spare in the boot.

I hope he is somewhere safe right now, and that he can get back to doing what he loves to do as soon as possible.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
Paul did a really great job at Laguna Phuket. Here's my article on the course from 2015.... https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/creating-a-sustainable-resort-course-in-a-tropical-paradise
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David Davis

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 03:57:24 PM »
Nice interview.

I've only seen about 20 of the courses you list in your Top 100. However, I'd be really curious to hear what you liked about The Dunes at Shenzhou Peninsula. It's hard for me to see it in the same line as Arrowtown which I loved. I've always thought of the Dunes as one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever visited so I'm curious what I missed there. Great potential with that property, I guess it would be a dream for most architects, pure sand and sea with some interesting rock features. However, I felt that the course they laid out and claimed as the best of the two was a bit of an average resort course.

While I would share your enthusiasm for some of the other off the beaten tracks to a certain extent from the ones I've seen the Dunes is not one of them.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 09:29:28 PM »
Nice interview.

I've only seen about 20 of the courses you list in your Top 100. However, I'd be really curious to hear what you liked about The Dunes at Shenzhou Peninsula. It's hard for me to see it in the same line as Arrowtown which I loved. I've always thought of the Dunes as one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever visited so I'm curious what I missed there. Great potential with that property, I guess it would be a dream for most architects, pure sand and sea with some interesting rock features. However, I felt that the course they laid out and claimed as the best of the two was a bit of an average resort course.

While I would share your enthusiasm for some of the other off the beaten tracks to a certain extent from the ones I've seen the Dunes is not one of them.

When we were working in China, my crew played The Dunes more than once, and they all thought it was the best thing there.  [Which is very relative, of course, but they didn't think it sucked.]

I did not play it, only toured it just before it opened, but I thought it was reasonably good, too.  Some hole corridors were clearly dictated by real estate which is not there yet.

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 05:20:21 AM »
Nice interview.

When we were working in China, my crew played The Dunes more than once, and they all thought it was the best thing there.  [Which is very relative, of course, but they didn't think it sucked.]

I did not play it, only toured it just before it opened, but I thought it was reasonably good, too.  Some hole corridors were clearly dictated by real estate which is not there yet.

Tom,

Thanks, I'm not sure if you are actually defending it or not. I can't remember if you had seen Shanqin Bay back in the those days but I assume you are not saying it was the best thing on Hainan Island? So if you exclude that you are only left with Mission Hills and perhaps a host of other courses I have never heard of. Take a property that is pretty stellar and place an average course on it then it doesn't take too much to beat out Mission Hills I guess.

What did you give it on the Doak Scale? What did you give Arrowtown? I don't know offhand but I hope Arrowtown was at least a couple points higher. Which would indicate it's exponentially better if we are talking from 4-6 or 4-7 for example.  I mean that could be way off. I'm just guessing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 11:20:36 PM »

Tom,

Thanks, I'm not sure if you are actually defending it or not. I can't remember if you had seen Shanqin Bay back in the those days but I assume you are not saying it was the best thing on Hainan Island? So if you exclude that you are only left with Mission Hills and perhaps a host of other courses I have never heard of. Take a property that is pretty stellar and place an average course on it then it doesn't take too much to beat out Mission Hills I guess.

What did you give it on the Doak Scale? What did you give Arrowtown? I don't know offhand but I hope Arrowtown was at least a couple points higher. Which would indicate it's exponentially better if we are talking from 4-6 or 4-7 for example.  I mean that could be way off. I'm just guessing.

Didn't you buy the book??

Both Arrowtown and The Dunes are in the Gourmet's Choice in the front of Volume 5.  [Arrowtown is the first entry; I get emails about all their club events now.]  I think I gave The Dunes a 6, which made it miles better than most of what I've seen in China; I might have even given it a 7 for that reason.

Shanqin Bay effectively does not exist if you're just a lowly golf course architect or associate working on a construction project.  For that matter, their GM denied my request to visit when I was there on my last trip, because it wasn't looking perfect enough at the time [or just because he didn't feel like getting out of bed and instigating their whole song and dance b.s. show for me].  However one of my associates had met the greenkeeper, and insisted on calling him.  It made his day to show me around [and share some of the stories of David Smith and company] . . . but they fired him when they found out he'd showed me around without the show.

Shanqin Bay was a beautiful course, but if I were ever back on Hainan Island -- which is unlikely -- I'd play The Dunes instead.

David Davis

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 02:46:41 PM »

Tom,

Didn't you buy the book??

Both Arrowtown and The Dunes are in the Gourmet's Choice in the front of Volume 5.  [Arrowtown is the first entry; I get emails about all their club events now.]  I think I gave The Dunes a 6, which made it miles better than most of what I've seen in China; I might have even given it a 7 for that reason.

Shanqin Bay effectively does not exist if you're just a lowly golf course architect or associate working on a construction project.  For that matter, their GM denied my request to visit when I was there on my last trip, because it wasn't looking perfect enough at the time [or just because he didn't feel like getting out of bed and instigating their whole song and dance b.s. show for me].  However one of my associates had met the greenkeeper, and insisted on calling him.  It made his day to show me around [and share some of the stories of David Smith and company] . . . but they fired him when they found out he'd showed me around without the show.

Shanqin Bay was a beautiful course, but if I were ever back on Hainan Island -- which is unlikely -- I'd play The Dunes instead.

Tom,

No I didn't buy it. I like the first version I bought from you back in your young and innocent days.  ;D

Interesting that you gave it a 6 or 7 and seem to hint that you rate it relative to other courses in China. I would of thought the Doak scale was universal and not relative to the other courses in each specific country.

I give it a solid 4 on your scale and see it as a missed opportunity. I would be interested to see what you would make of that property I mean it was a blank sandy canvas what more could you ask for.

It's also interesting you mention real estate. I seriously can't remember any real estate there besides the hotel. Are you sure about that? Maybe they dropped that aspect of the property given it is already about 10 years old I guess. Or maybe you are thinking of another course altogether.  The greens are relatively flat and typically boring as your average resort course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »
There are no houses now, but the routing clearly leaves places for houses in several areas.  That's the reason for some of the right-angle changes of direction on the more inland holes, up through about the 12th.

Also, Darius Oliver liked it just as much as I did, though he had much wider experience with dismal Chinese courses before he got there.

Daryl David

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »

Both Arrowtown and The Dunes are in the Gourmet's Choice in the front of Volume 5.  [Arrowtown is the first entry; I get emails about all their club events now.]

This made me chuckle. Last time I was at Arrowtown and chatting with the GM, he proudly asked if I had seen the Confidential Guide. I said yes and a matter of fact, I know Mr. Doak. From there on it was the royal treatment.  I expect to see a TD statue there next trip!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 02:32:47 AM »
https://www.sport24.co.za/Golf/pictures-lions-roam-freely-on-fairways-of-skukuza-gc-during-lockdown-20200403

Enjoyed the interview, especially the comments on the bushveld courses in SA. They may not match the highest GCA standards but I think better to approach them from the perspective of how they offer a unique sort of golfing experience.

As you can see here, the animals are enjoying the lockdown!

Philip

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 06:41:21 PM »
Paul did a really great job at Laguna Phuket. Here's my article on the course from 2015.... https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/creating-a-sustainable-resort-course-in-a-tropical-paradise

Your picture byline is quite something!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 03:57:02 AM »

Your picture byline is quite something!

There's quite a few of those older stories that have the wrong mugshot. I've never quite worked out why...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »

Did someone mention Skukuza?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back