News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric LeFante

Re: Cramming All the Majors Into the Fall
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
Another reason the Masters should be in mid October: 1.5 more hours of daylight vs mid November. Someone pulled up the weather for Augusta the same week for this past November that this year's masters will be played; Wednesday - Friday the high was below 50 with lots of wind.

Pat Burke

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2020, 09:58:42 PM »
Should just find a way to combine Ryder and Presidents Cup next year to give space and time
Make it a unique event, ideally deebrating the world getting past all this

Tom_Doak

« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »
Should just find a way to combine Ryder and Presidents Cup next year to give space and time

All you'd have to do is get the PGA of America and the European Tour to give up part of their take from their most lucrative event [by far] to the PGA TOUR.  Good luck with that!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2020, 01:08:45 AM »
In light of this last Pres Cup and its relative absence of that jingoistic crap which festoons the Ryder (RMelbourne, Reed and Wood's play/captaincy helped drown out an already lower volume) made me think that it should be a trident of tournaments...

A Ryder Cup for US-Europe...
A Prez Cup for US-Intl...

A "Global" Cup for Europe-Intl...     ??
  • ...whereby every year two of these tourneys are being held and one of three team entities appears only once.
  • ...the teams retain the same captain, a 3 year captaincy for both competitions, 5 total events  in 3 years.
  • ...teams can change up to 4 of their 12 players in between events, when playing two competitions in a year
  • ...maybe do something as a novel prize for any team that sweeps both its two competitions in any year, or any 5x run of a single captain.
I believe this would bring greater common ground/sense of team cohesion to these events, while providing golf fans with a second group of popular match play formats among the world's best. At the same time, it would elevate and cohere the International effort with a second distinct competition and show off a greater variety of courses.  Els made a good case this last event, for how difficult it is to congeal an International team every other year from a great expanse and regional schedules
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2020, 01:54:14 AM »
or one tournament every year. Teams will play two years in a row, then sit out one year.  VK has a good idea, but does it have too many peaks, and would anyone want to be a captain for that long?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2020, 03:12:05 AM »
Anything in 2020 will be played without crowds, possibly even 2021 if there is still no vaccine.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jeff Schley

« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2020, 04:18:12 AM »
Anything in 2020 will be played without crowds, possibly even 2021 if there is still no vaccine.
I don't think this is affects the game that much for the fan who watches on TV.  It even simplifies it as the host club/course doesn't need the army of volunteers to put on the event, the couple months to erect stands and tents aren't needed either.  Events on TV are so good with the shot tracer and distances etc that I much prefer it to attending.  I do love watching them hit balls on the range however as it is pretty special, you don't need to jockey your way around the course walking hoping to catch a glimpse.
Actually most pro sports are better to view at home on the TV IMO for that matter, with some exceptions. In terms of raising money for the event, merchandise, sponsors putting up the big money without any of the pro ams/hospitality tents/ etc. will hurt.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2020, 07:24:00 AM »
I'm intrigued if any of these tournaments checked with the volunteers. I would think a number of people would respect their families enough to not put their lives at risk working for free at a golf tournament. I have lobbied for years that these volunteers organize and get paid. There will never be a better time than now.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
I'm intrigued if any of these tournaments checked with the volunteers. I would think a number of people would respect their families enough to not put their lives at risk working for free at a golf tournament. I have lobbied for years that these volunteers organize and get paid. There will never be a better time than now.
Why take away the joy people get from volunteering, after all you are basically waiving any payment to give back to the event (set up as a charity) being able to donate the hundreds of thousands of dollars to worthy causes in the community?
As the famous line from Pearl Harbor applies, "there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."
Of course you could look at it as subsidizing the payout of the players as well, but the glass it half full for me as without the payout you don't get the players and in turn lose the sponsors who donate the millions..... which in turn leads to the charitable donation.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »
Will the volunteers have to pay for their own PPE? Why take away the joy of anyone who is getting conned?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
With unemployment heading towards 20% the tour can well afford to pay people who need a job $20/hr. I can think of a no more qualified group than people in a now defunct service industry.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
There is not a legitimate argument against employing out of work restaurant workers. A golf tournament isn't any different than a big party where these fine people have been working in the shadows for our entire lives. We are talking Majors here. If Rory won't show up in poor weather for a purse reduced by 10% let him stay home. This would increase charitable contributions if anything.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2020, 05:14:15 PM »
I too have always wondered why there are so many volunteers at these events.  Does any other sport do it like this?

Football, Basketball, Tennis, NASCAR, etc?

C. Sturges

« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
It is because the volunteers pay for the privilege to volunteer. 
chris

Kalen Braley

« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2020, 05:30:08 PM »
As much shit as I've given the Green Jackets in the past.... i'm guessing they probably do the best in paying most people to work the event, but I could be wrong.  They sure have the largest police/trooper detail at thier event.  Those masters patrons must be super rowdy!  ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2020, 05:40:50 PM »
I don't think this is affects the game that much for the fan who watches on TV.  It even simplifies it as the host club/course doesn't need the army of volunteers to put on the event, the couple months to erect stands and tents aren't needed either.  Events on TV are so good with the shot tracer and distances etc that I much prefer it to attending.  I do love watching them hit balls on the range however as it is pretty special, you don't need to jockey your way around the course walking hoping to catch a glimpse.
Actually most pro sports are better to view at home on the TV IMO for that matter, with some exceptions. In terms of raising money for the event, merchandise, sponsors putting up the big money without any of the pro ams/hospitality tents/ etc. will hurt.
Some players, for instance Jack Nicklaus in the 1975 Masters said that he fed off the appreciations of the crowd. Doubtless, he is no the only one.  It is a totally different game without spectators.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
As much shit as I've given the Green Jackets in the past.... i'm guessing they probably do the best in paying most people to work the event, but I could be wrong.  They sure have the largest police/trooper detail at thier event.  Those masters patrons must be super rowdy!  ;D
They have a drawing of volunteers' names to see who gets to play on Monday.  People come from all over to volunteer, and renew a lot of friendships. Guessing there is a background check :(

Mike Bodo

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »
Some players, for instance Jack Nicklaus in the 1975 Masters said that he fed off the appreciations of the crowd. Doubtless, he is no the only one.  It is a totally different game without spectators.
Totally agree with your take. Tiger is cut from the same cloth as Jack. He feeds off the energy of the crowd. I'd argue it was that energy that carried him to last year's Masters win. When Jack or Tiger did something special on the course you knew it as a player, as their roars and cheers were different from everyone else's - especially in the majors. Those roars often put fear in their competitors, enabling them to win the number of majors they did or, in Tiger's case, have.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2020, 07:06:53 PM »
Totally agree with your take. Tiger is cut from the same cloth as Jack. He feeds off the energy of the crowd. I'd argue it was that energy that carried him to last year's Masters win. When Jack or Tiger did something special on the course you knew it as a player, as their roars and cheers were different from everyone else's - especially in the majors. Those roars often put fear in their competitors, enabling them to win the number of majors they did or, in Tiger's case, have.

Pure myth. Nicklaus beat Palmer at Oakmont with quite the opposite.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
I don't know if anyone has posted this but the new Masters dates overlap with Georgia deer hunting season.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2020, 08:47:18 PM »

Pure myth. Nicklaus beat Palmer at Oakmont with quite the opposite.
If you can catch the replay of the 1975 Masters Jack was quite direct in his comments.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »
Michael Whitaker pointed out to me that CBS is broadcasting the 2019 Masters today and Jim Nantz had been Zoom conferencing with Tiger and Phil during the week and they will be splicing in their comments during the broadcast.  Hopefully, we will get some real insights of how Tiger goes about winning a tournament.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2020, 08:01:16 AM »
Michael Whitaker pointed out to me that CBS is broadcasting the 2019 Masters today and Jim Nantz had been Zoom conferencing with Tiger and Phil during the week and they will be splicing in their comments during the broadcast.  Hopefully, we will get some real insights of how Tiger goes about winning a tournament.

I was enjoying one of these past Masters and couldn't remember who won. Nantz breaks in spoiling it for me with an interview with the winner. I turned the channel.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »
Jerry, I was watching Nantz do this with Phil for the 2004 yesterday.  It was very interesting, what was going through Phil's mind as he tells it . . . although human memory is a funny thing.  I got to wondering whether the concept would liven up the rebroadcasts of other sports that are on 24/7 but concluded it may be particularly well suited for golf.  Although it might be fun to see the Houston Astros interviewed.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2020, 08:07:54 AM »
Jerry, I was watching Nantz do this with Phil for the 2004 yesterday.  It was very interesting, what was going through Phil's mind as he tells it . . . although human memory is a funny thing.  I got to wondering whether the concept would liven up the rebroadcasts of other sports that are on 24/7 but concluded it may be particularly well suited for golf.  Although it might be fun to see the Houston Astros interviewed.

That is the one Nantz ruined for me. The Masters stands up without his mug.

I have also been enjoying watching old boxing matches. I don't need to be told who won in what round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back