News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric LeFante

Re: Cramming All the Majors Into the Fall
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2020, 01:19:39 PM »
PGA Championship   Aug 3 - 9
Fedex Cup  Aug 10 - Sep 7
US Open   Sep 14 - 20
Ryder Cup   Sep 21 - 27
Masters   Nov 9 - 15

Open Championship cancelled

Did the Open really get cancelled to collect insurance money or does it just not fit in the new schedule? Not a good look for the R&A if it's the former.

Why is the Masters waiting until mid November? Why not mid October? Weather is okay in November but certainly not as warm as October and similar amount of rainfall between the months.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2020, 01:25:03 PM »
The Masters is waiting to see if the other tournaments can pull it off. Genius.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »
From Aug. 3 - Sept. 27 you're looking at a lot of "white knuckled" golf for the top players. The majority of these guys will be burned out by the time the Ryder Cup concludes from too many intense rounds and matches. Perhaps that's why ANGC is pushing their event to Nov. to give the boys time to recharge the batteries and have their "A" games present come the Masters?
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tom_Doak

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
From Aug. 3 - Sept. 27 you're looking at a lot of "white knuckled" golf for the top players. The majority of these guys will be burned out by the time the Ryder Cup concludes from too many intense rounds and matches. Perhaps that's why ANGC is pushing their event to Nov. to give the boys time to recharge the batteries and have their "A" games present come the Masters?

The FedEx Cup is not "white knuckled" golf.  It's "white collar" golf -- playing with other people's money.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2020, 01:33:55 PM »

Did the Open really get cancelled to collect insurance money or does it just not fit in the new schedule? Not a good look for the R&A if it's the former.

My guess is that it's partly that they thought it was the right thing to do, and partly that they thought it would be impossible to get all the best players to get on a plane and come over there just for one event late in the year.

They should really not be vilified or have their motives questioned for falling on their sword, just because others wouldn't.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »
“White knuckled” is fitting. When these tournaments are scheduled millions of black and brown people will be dying in impoverished countries.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2020, 01:37:51 PM »

The FedEx Cup is not "white knuckled" golf.  It's "white collar" golf -- playing with other people's money.
LMAO!!! Very true in many respects. However, many pros take a lot of pride and put a lot of pressure on themselves to advance in the FedEx Cup and hopefully have a shot at the "big purse" and title at East Lake. Granted, the stakes aren't nearly as high as the majors, but they are greater than your average PGA Tour event and become a little more intense with each successive week.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2020, 01:51:55 PM »
The Open starts all players from the first tee. There is not enough time to do that later in the year

Tom_Doak

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »
The Open starts all players from the first tee. There is not enough time to do that later in the year

They could certainly have made an exception for this one year if they'd wanted.

Ironically, Royal St. George's is one of only two courses on the rota that returns to the clubhouse at the ninth!  :D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
Regarding the Ryder Cup, unless a European player is really in contention for the FedEx Cup I would see them bow out of that series to freshen up for Wisconsin.
off topic, I don't expect a lot from the Detroit tour stop.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »
off topic, I don't expect a lot from the Detroit tour stop.
Funny you mention the Detroit stop. I already have tickets for Friday's round of the Rocket Mortgage Classic at DGC. Just waiting for the PGA Tour to announce that it's cancelled so that I can get a refund.

Sean_A

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

Ironically, Royal St. George's is one of only two courses on the rota that returns to the clubhouse at the ninth!  :D

Did Sandwich change the routing?  8)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »

Did Sandwich change the routing?  8)

Ciao

Oh, damn, you're right.  But at least it's kind of close, and not all the way out by Deal.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2020, 02:29:48 PM »
I'm glad most everyone is using social distancing in their posts.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »
The Masters is waiting to see if the other tournaments can pull it off. Genius.

If the others are canceled, does Augusta go ahead as the lone major? (The PGA did in 1944 and 1945, under different circumstances, of course.)
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:28 PM »
Of course not. Before the end of April each of the tournaments will be cancelled and The Fed Ex Cup prize money will be donated towards a program that ships vital medical instruments across the world.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
I’m ashamed that the UK saw it before America. Once we have nothing left to be proud about being golfers those of us who support courses we rarely play will quit. When we stop footing the bill the rest of you will get the boot.

James Brown

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2020, 10:09:13 PM »
Golf will be fine in the late summer and fall.  The majors will go on. The R and A will wish they had not cancelled. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2020, 10:13:58 PM »
And Bobby said Whitney would be fine Mr. Brown.

James Brown

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2020, 10:25:59 PM »
And Bobby said Whitney would be fine Mr. Brown.

We will see. 

MClutterbuck

« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »
At some point when deemed safe by the epidemiologists, scheduling a tournament does a ton of good on many fronts. I applaud efforts by some of the tournaments to schedule later in the year if they believe it is possible. Of course, they might have to cancel at a later date if safety can not be guaranteed.

There was a proposal by an economist to have elite sportsmen quarantined and heavily tested before allowing them to compete at made for TV events. He was thinking soccer, but it can certainly be applied to golf.

That is similar to having artists and athletes tour war zones or put on special performances. Nothing wrong with giving people entertainment and making the economy start working again.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »
There was a proposal by an economist to have elite sportsmen quarantined and heavily tested before allowing them to compete at made for TV events. He was thinking soccer, but it can certainly be applied to golf.
Did you see what MLB was considering doing? Everyone plays in Arizona. Everyone is tested almost daily. Robot strike zone, players sitting 6' apart in the stands, quarantined in their hotels for a few months, no spectators of course… etc.

May 1 start date proposed. I think I got most of that right.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »
Erik: Do you think baseball is thinking about fantasy leagues and betting on games? 

I can imagine it is possible but why would the R & A take out insurance when they haven't cancelled in 150 years except for a World War and they completely control when and under what circumstances the tournament will be held. 

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2020, 06:47:09 PM »
Erik: Do you think baseball is thinking about fantasy leagues and betting on games? 
I don't know. Since the current owner took over the Pirates, my interest in MLB and all it is has reached all-time lows. They've been weirdly stuck on trying to play 162 games or as many games as possible, for some reason, from what I've read.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Kevin Stark

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
The days are too short in October even with split tees, I would think. Less than 11 hours of daylight and dwindling rapidly as the month progresses. Although Kent is dry by British standards, that's still the wettest time of the year there too. They would have to use two courses for the first two rounds to even consider it. Which would be awesome if they used Deal for that, but no such luck.

Speaking of two courses...how great would it be if they used both courses at Winged Foot for the first two rounds? I know it won't happen, but a man can dream...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back