News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #925 on: May 10, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »
Can't we all just pull a Nicklaus instead, and keep our glove on while putting?

I thought about that and then I thought why the hell would a golf glove kill the virus. How is pin, hand, face different than pin, glove, face?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #926 on: May 10, 2020, 10:33:08 PM »
I was thinking: if *everyone* pulled a Nicklaus there wouldn't be any virus on the pin or the cup anyway, and our own glove would just give us/others extra protection. But yes, that's based on the assumption that gloved hand is more virus free than bare hand -- which I hope is true. I mean: the employees at every gas station I've gone into and fast food place I've driven through were all wearing those blue gloves -- and I'd like to think it was part of a valid mitigation strategy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:36:12 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #927 on: May 11, 2020, 03:39:57 AM »
I was thinking: if *everyone* pulled a Nicklaus there wouldn't be any virus on the pin or the cup anyway, and our own glove would just give us/others extra protection. But yes, that's based on the assumption that gloved hand is more virus free than bare hand -- which I hope is true. I mean: the employees at every gas station I've gone into and fast food place I've driven through were all wearing those blue gloves -- and I'd like to think it was part of a valid mitigation strategy
Really?  You don't ever put your glove near your face?  The virus doesn't erupt through your skin, it gets on to your hands from your mouth and/or nose and that's how it gets on your glove.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

astavrides

« Reply #928 on: May 11, 2020, 07:00:16 AM »

That strategy is based on changing gloves after every customer.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #929 on: May 11, 2020, 08:09:44 AM »
My club has the normal cups in but the Asst Super has a device he made up that sits in the cup. When the ball is holed you use your putter to pull the lever up and the ball pops out.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #930 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »
Seems like it'd be a good time to invest in one of these for the end of your putter.

Cliff Hamm

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #932 on: May 12, 2020, 10:01:41 AM »
A question on entering scores for handicap purposes.   We haven't opened courses yet in Ontario, but that should happen soon and my club just sent out the protocols for play.

My club has deemed that bunkers are to be played as GUR.  I am not sure if that is due to not having enough staff to maintain them in the short term or due to "fairness" as there will be no rakes.  But it appears that you are still supposed to enter scores.  Doesn't that screw up the handicap system if you get a free drop out of all bunkers?  The slope and/or course rating should be adjusted as all bunkers have been removed.

jeffwarne

« Reply #933 on: May 12, 2020, 10:25:44 AM »
A question on entering scores for handicap purposes.   We haven't opened courses yet in Ontario, but that should happen soon and my club just sent out the protocols for play.

My club has deemed that bunkers are to be played as GUR.  I am not sure if that is due to not having enough staff to maintain them in the short term or due to "fairness" as there will be no rakes.  But it appears that you are still supposed to enter scores.  Doesn't that screw up the handicap system if you get a free drop out of all bunkers?  The slope and/or course rating should be adjusted as all bunkers have been removed.

couldn't you just move the ball IN the bunker?
Doesn't seem like a posting, a CR or a bunker problem, but a "club" problem....i.e.a poorly worded or thought out decision
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #934 on: May 12, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »
I agree.  I have emailed the head pro asking for clarification.  You have the option of playing it in the bunker, or employing what I call the Patrick Reed rule - you can smooth out the lie with your foot.  Or you can take normal GUR relief.

jeffwarne

« Reply #935 on: May 12, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
I agree.  I have emailed the head pro asking for clarification.  You have the option of playing it in the bunker, or employing what I call the Patrick Reed rule - you can smooth out the lie with your foot.  Or you can take normal GUR relief.

The Patrick Reed would be a liberal variation of what we do in winterplay  with "rake" and roll.
i.e. you don't place it, you roll the ball from a few feet away after semi-smoothing area.(in this case with your foot)
Employing the Reed rule would see a lot of driver from bunker shots :)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #936 on: May 12, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »
Courses in Wales are now  able to reopen if they wish - https://www.walesgolf.org/covid-19/
I guess this might help the folks at LLanymyeth GC which is rather unique in having holes in both England and Wales and although it's Clubhouse is in Wales it's a member of the Shropshire GU and thus the EGU.
atb

Peter Flory

« Reply #937 on: May 12, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »
Any reports of people getting infected by playing golf? 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:37:09 PM by Peter Flory »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #938 on: May 12, 2020, 03:12:43 PM »
excellent blog that explains how the virus spreads. Very minimal chance of getting it when one is outside.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #939 on: May 12, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »
Courses in Wales are now  able to reopen if they wish - https://www.walesgolf.org/covid-19/
I guess this might help the folks at LLanymyeth GC which is rather unique in having holes in both England and Wales and although it's Clubhouse is in Wales it's a member of the Shropshire GU and thus the EGU.
atb
Yep
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/anglo-welsh-golf-club-to-reopen-despite-lockdown-puzzle/ar-BB13YOgU?ocid=msedgdhp

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #940 on: May 12, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »
excellent blog that explains how the virus spreads. Very minimal chance of getting it when one is outside.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them
I'm skeptical of any article that says something like this: "We have robust data from the outbreaks in China…". Edit to add: thankfully the China "data" isn't all that relevant to the actual point of the article.

The PA Speaker of the House wrote a letter:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:26:07 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

David_Tepper

« Reply #941 on: May 12, 2020, 06:41:19 PM »
How golf is returning in Ireland:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/52599845

How golf is not returning in Scotland:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/52590668

Bernie Bell

« Reply #943 on: May 13, 2020, 09:32:00 AM »
Bloomberg article seems wide of the mark on several counts for the average golfer.  I'll trust the reporting as to the private jet and helicopter set.  The most jarring quote was this:  “With a limited number of carts, courses can only send out so many players at a time."  I think the more common experience is that tee sheets are limited only by 15-minute spacing, not by cart availability, even where carts are allowed.   Many more people are walking and people are paying more than list price new in some areas in the secondary market for used push carts.  Also I think it is far more common for the courses to be set up for putts to drop, not to hit a barrier.  And the quote that most people are not playing "seriously" -- seriously?  Only change I see is that bets are settled on Venmo or Zelle and not in cash.  And the fetish for getting off the course quickly makes even less sense to me now.  For those who've been forbidden to play for weeks, now you're itching to zoom around in a single cart, be done and go home again as quickly as you can? 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:37:21 AM by Bernie Bell »

Tim Martin

« Reply #944 on: May 13, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
Bloomberg article seems wide of the mark on several counts for the average golfer.  I'll trust the reporting as to the private jet and helicopter set.  The most jarring quote was this:  “With a limited number of carts, courses can only send out so many players at a time."  I think the more common experience is that tee sheets are limited only by 15-minute spacing, not by cart availability, even where carts are allowed.   Many more people are walking and people are paying more than list price new in some areas in the secondary market for used push carts.  Also I think it is far more common for the courses to be set up for putts to drop, not to hit a barrier.  And the quote that most people are not playing "seriously" -- seriously?  Only change I see is that bets are settled on Venmo or Zelle and not in cash.  And the fetish for getting off the course quickly makes even less sense to me now.  For those who've been forbidden to play for weeks, now you're itching to zoom around in a time single cart, be done and go home again as quickly as you can? 

If I have guys that need to get paid in a friendly four ball game via Venmo then I’m playing with the wrong crew.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #945 on: May 13, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »
Also some cash or running tab.  Larger point being matches are being played as before.  For stakes, or for funsies if that's your thing.  Which is why raised cup barriers won't do.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #946 on: May 13, 2020, 01:59:16 PM »
With England opening what jurisdictions are still closed?  What about Scotland and N Ireland?

Aren't all states in the US open now? 

Here in Canada Quebec just announced that they are reopening.  Ontario is expected to announce tomorrow that courses will open.  That leaves Nova Scotia as the only province in Canada still closed.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #947 on: May 13, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »
Riverfront, in Suffolk, VA, has shut down the interior food service and put up a plexiglass sheet at the cash register.
This is not the problem.
The problem, like most things, is the 1 percent of the people who are not distancing.  If inspected, the state could shut it down.

Reminds me of 9th grade homeroom, where the tiniest minority spoils it for everyone else.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #948 on: May 14, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
We got the go-ahead for golf in Canada so I believe that pretty much the only places still closed are Nova Scotia and Vetus Scotia.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #949 on: May 14, 2020, 04:30:03 PM »
Contacted Bandon Dunes Resort regarding their practice of cart usage for medically challenged golfers (caddie drives cart for golfer).  They have ordered plastic dividers, which will hang from the roof, mid-cart.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back