News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #700 on: April 17, 2020, 03:07:29 PM »
Thanks Sven,

We've tried to keep our non-essential trips to a minimum as well, but its odd living in Utah where its business as usual for so many as one of the few non-lock down states.

P.S. Just found out today, our next door neighbor and his gf who didn't change habits have both tested positive for it.  Can't say i'm surprised...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »
Kalen:

I think our time would be better spent going out and trying to find a way to actually help people.  There are plenty of ways to do so while respecting the safety and concerns of others.

All 28 pages of this thread look like a bunch of old men in the nursing home complaining that Matlock was interrupted for an Amber Alert.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Lou_Duran

« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »
And Sven, what would those (behaviors and practices) be?  I bet that mine are not much different than those of most responsible people (which is a majority, we just notice the bad actors much more easily).

A.G.-

I agree it is not about you and me, and probably not even about our demographic.  It is, IMO, about the political consequences in highly dense cities that have not been prepared for a very long time to deal with much of anything other than the ordinary.  Pictures and film of people in an ER queue or stacked in the morgue making the news are not good for the ruling class.   And, as importantly, after three+ years and numerous failed attempts to overthrow Trump, it is about not letting a crisis go to waste. 

I don't know the direct relevance of the story of your friend with thyroid cancer.  I had the same procedure done while in CA over 10 years ago and there was no hurry to go under the knife (over a month from diagnosis to the deed).  Perhaps mine was not as advanced or critical.  And I am sure that less than urgent surgeries are performed with different frequencies based on the location.  I am aware of two old guys who had non-critical surgeries done in the past four weeks.  I am told that some practices have excess capacity and few patients to care for.

BTW, do you find it odd that there is relatively little information about deaths from other causes?  I heard that deaths attributed to C-19 "earn" a 15% reimbursement bonus to hospitals, prompting a state (maybe more) to retroactively adjust its casualty stats upwards considerably.

Lastly, I take the opposite POV vis-a-vis using a total shutdown universally versus by state and region based on the prevalence of the virus, the demographics of the population, and the availability of medical services.  It is much easier to wield policy like a sledge hammer, the bureaucratic way, everyone does it the same way as opposed to a more nuanced approach based on the individual characteristics of the areas or subparts.

Forcing a regime appropriate for NYC on Frisco, Texas or the State of Montana is absolutely the easiest thing to do administratively, but also the most unfair and counterproductive.  We need production from the areas where it can be done with reasonable risk to help fund the needs of those who aren't as fortunate.  There are many people ready to get on with things responsibly.

JK- In my estimation, the world is a better place as a result of you being here.  Some provocations are amusing; a few flesh out interesting ideas.  I just wish I knew when you were being serious and not just stirring the pot- the enigmatic BarneyF, nearly 20 years running.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
;D

Tim, with all due respect the five you mentioned are close to the most liberal and tainted for as many reasons as is Fox news. But that's your opinion ::)

MSNBC....all day attack machine
Ignorance is bliss.  ???
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
Lou,

How long did it take you to type that post I didn't read?

Quit blowing wind and go do something good.

The more of us that do, the better we'll all be.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

jeffwarne

« Reply #705 on: April 17, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »
Kalen:

All 28 pages of this thread look like a bunch of old men in the nursing home complaining that Matlock was interrupted for an Amber Alert.

Sven

mic drop
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MCirba

« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2020, 07:19:34 PM »
Kalen:

Sven

mic drop

Yep.  Thanks, Sven.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Lou_Duran

« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »
"We all are going to have to live with the decisions we've made over the last few months and during the times to come.
[/size]"I am comfortable with the choices I've made so far.  I hope you all are as well."

Oh, Sven, I am really wounded that you didn't read my posts but still felt compelled to respond with vitriol and ignorance.

I could care less if you read opinions that don't mesh with yours.  I don't post for sycophantic +1s or for invitations to hard to access clubs.  Instead, I think that the record should reflect that there are others who don't reflexively spout Leftist talking points with the gratuitous "Trump sucks" and assorted profanities believing that these add conviction and gravitas.

As to doing "something good", I'll put up my record against yours any time , any day.  I just have never felt the need to advertise my compassion and humanity nor signal my virtue.

Lastly, my question and single sentence addressed to you were not meant to be derogatory. I was just trying to learn what things you were doing and surmised that they were probably similar to what many people including me are as well.  I am no longer interested.  Do have a good life.
[/color]

V. Kmetz

« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2020, 08:38:40 PM »

Three things on this:

1. I mostly agree except that it's more like one old man and the T.V. has been off for an hour.
2. The way things are shaping up in nursing homes, could you blame them for complaining?  It IS the little things, you know?
3. Easy on the Matlock (and by implication Grandpa Simpson)... I've been watching them religiously.  *** I forgot how good Gunsmoke and Wagon Train were!  I had dismissed it as my parent's thing when I was a child...now the perfect post-lunch background for working at home.

I'm very proud of myself for not posting on this thread since March 15, page 2 until now.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2020, 09:00:50 PM »
VK
If you like Andy Griffith in Matlock, and were charmed by him as Sheriff Taylor, treat yourself (as I'm guessing you already have) to the film 'A Face in the Crowd'. What a performance! What a revelation!

I don't think I've posted on this thread too often, but in any event I'm becoming with each passing year more and more of a soft-touch, a sap in old fashioned language. I think 'doing good' begins by treating everyone with a basic human respect, by embracing the reality (and value) of differences and diversity, and by assuming the best we can about each-other (and our motives). We aren't ever going to be of much help to anyone if we're so busy judging them first, or waiting until they prove themselves 'worthy' (in our eyes) before deigning to be kind.
Which is to say: we'd all be better off I think if we left our ratings and rankings and harsh critiques for something as meaningless as golf courses.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:12:44 PM by Peter Pallotta »

archie_struthers

« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2020, 09:12:58 PM »
 8)

Tim, thanks. I'm quite sure you are a visionary!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #711 on: April 17, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
VK
If you like Andy Griffith in Matlock, and were charmed by him as Sheriff Taylor, treat yourself (as I'm guessing you already have) to the film 'A Face in the Crowd'. What a performance! What a revelation!

I re-engaged that movie last Winter and can't believe how underappreciated it has been... just stunning, should be required viewing before voting/working in a media company.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jerry Kluger

Mike Bodo

« Reply #713 on: April 17, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »
On a positive note, the governor of Minnesota is allowing golf courses to reopen this weekend.

https://www.startribune.com/gov-walz-will-allow-minnesota-golf-courses-to-open/569727082/

Progress is being made slowly but surely across parts of the country were courses and  clubs are closed currently. We all just need to cool our jets and hang in there another 2" - 3 weeks and we'll be alright. I promise. ;)  My state of Michigan will probably be one of the last to allow courses to reopen, but I have Ohio down the road from me if I'm really Jonesing to play. It snowed anywhere from 2 - 3" in Southeast, MI today and probably more where TD is in Traverse City. I'm in no immediate rush to play, thankfully and am content on "Ridin' the Storm Out", as the title to the popular REO Speedwagon song goes. Golf will be there for me soon enough.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:12:10 PM by Mike Bodo »
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Peter Flory

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #715 on: April 17, 2020, 11:31:26 PM »
Played Astoria today because single use carts are available there. Two observations.
1) bring your own rake.
2) on a blind or semi-blind shot you cannot see if your shot hit the raised cup or missed it.  Bummer?

In the 7 hours away from home I talked to the check-in person, waited outside twice for take-out orders, played more than 9 holes with a member and never got within 15' of him. Used clorox wipes on the food/drink containers. Oh, told a guy they left a club by the 18th green rather than picking it up.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »

My state of Michigan will probably be one of the last to allow courses to reopen, but I have Ohio down the road from me if I'm really Jonesing to play. It snowed anywhere from 2 - 3" in Southeast, MI today and probably more where TD is in Traverse City.

Actually it started to get nice again here yesterday, after snow on Tuesday and Wednesday nights [just enough to blanket the grass but not stick on the roads].  You would be surprised how often you get snow and we don't.

Most courses up here would not open normally until the last weekend of April, so they have not lost any business [yet].  Crystal Downs does not expect to open on schedule on May 1, but I think they will open [with restrictions as described elsewhere] if the governor relents on deciding which businesses are "essential" and which aren't.

As someone who works interstate and internationally, all these different rules make my life pretty complex.  If we get the go-ahead to start at Sand Valley, I would have no hesitancy to drive over there and work outdoors, and it should be easy to maintain social distance as long as I felt my accommodations were safe.  However, when I get home, our state mandates two weeks of quarantine -- so I would technically have to live above my office for that long every time I get back from a trip -- and I do take my wife's health seriously.

Meanwhile, I have several other projects that I can't drive to, and I am pretty reluctant to fly right now.  So I may be implementing my decentralized, associates-empowering business model a bit sooner than expected!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
Actually it started to get nice again here yesterday, after snow on Tuesday and Wednesday nights [just enough to blanket the grass but not stick on the roads].  You would be surprised how often you get snow and we don't.

Most courses up here would not open normally until the last weekend of April, so they have not lost any business [yet].  Crystal Downs does not expect to open on schedule on May 1, but I think they will open [with restrictions as described elsewhere] if the governor relents on deciding which businesses are "essential" and which aren't.

As someone who works interstate and internationally, all these different rules make my life pretty complex.  If we get the go-ahead to start at Sand Valley, I would have no hesitancy to drive over there and work outdoors, and it should be easy to maintain social distance as long as I felt my accommodations were safe.  However, when I get home, our state mandates two weeks of quarantine -- so I would technically have to live above my office for that long every time I get back from a trip -- and I do take my wife's health seriously.

Meanwhile, I have several other projects that I can't drive to, and I am pretty reluctant to fly right now.  So I may be implementing my decentralized, associates-empowering business model a bit sooner than expected!

Very true about the snow patterns in Michigan. There are times I talk to my parents in Harbor Springs and they'll ask if we got any snow from the storm they had and I'll be like "what storm?" and visa versa. LOL! Gotta love our state sometimes. You are also correct that courses north of West Branch (what many consider the dividing line from UP North to the rest of the lower peninsula of Michigan, for those non-Michiganders here) aren't affected by the shutdown and hopefully won't when things do reopen given how limited their season is compared to ours downstate.

You mentioned that you could drive to Sand Valley and work on that project were you given the go ahead from ownership. Just curious about how you'd go about that. Would you go up and around the U.P. and come down through Wisconsin or would you drive to Ludington and take the ferry over? It seems as though they both would take about the same amount of time, though I know the ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc isn't fast like the high-speed ferry I take on occasion from Muskegon to Milwaukee to avoid Chicago traffic.

BTW, best of luck to you and your team on that project and here's hoping its gets green-lighted this year. I'm anxious to see the finished product based on what I've read and perhaps will hold off booking a trip to Sand Valley (the Bandon Dunes of the Midwest) until the course is grown in and is in good playable condition.

Stay healthy and safe! Hopefully our governor allows us to return to some semblance of normal life and one that includes golf once the current shelter-in-place order expires the end of the month. I'm optimistic and confident she will.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ari Techner

« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2020, 03:38:45 PM »
There are atleast a few private courses in SE Michigan that are opening their courses for members only starting tomorrow. 

Mike Bodo

« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
There are atleast a few private courses in SE Michigan that are opening their courses for members only starting tomorrow.
Really? Are they doing so out of protest or do they have legal approval to do so? I can't see where anything with the current shelter-in-place order has changed allowing that, but nothing surprises me at this point. In fact, I can see my former club giving the bird to the governor and allowing play as normal (no social distancing).

Ari Techner

« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »
Really? Are they doing so out of protest or do they have legal approval to do so? I can't see where anything with the current shelter-in-place order has changed allowing that, but nothing surprises me at this point. In fact, I can see my former club giving the bird to the governor and allowing play as normal (no social distancing).

I don't know the specific reasoning behind it but I know of 4 courses for sure that are opening.  I'm sure there are more.  I think there was something said by the AG that has been interpreted to allow members to play on their courses while still having other amenities closed.  But again I don't know for sure. 

Daryl David

« Reply #722 on: April 18, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »

I think we could make a long list of private clubs that have golf going on right now regardless of whether it is legal in all parts of the US through just by polling this discussion group. It’s a don’t ask, don’t tell environment at two of my clubs. Both are in states that have clearly banned golf. Local Public officials are ignoring the golf going on as they have bigger fish to fry and frankly they don’t want to piss off the movers and shakers that are members. Not really giving the bird to the government. More of a “let’s all look the other way”
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:15:32 PM by Daryl David »

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #724 on: April 19, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »
Speaking of Governors, here's what's happening in NY:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/golf/2020/04/17/latest-clarification-allows-golfers-back-inside-gates-private-clubs/5155423002/
That's since been clarified to mean that all publics and private clubs can open. 

Conditions are there are to be no employees on site, no facilities open, and only maintenance and security permitted to be present.  Security would be in charge of letting players out and making sure distancing regulations are followed.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back