News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #625 on: April 14, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »
Sean,

Did Trump confuse you?

Bernie Bell

« Reply #626 on: April 14, 2020, 04:02:49 PM »
Sean, I think you're missing my point.   Even if one accepted all of what you say about Trump as true, it still fails to explain why NY has suffered at a rate that is orders of magnitude greater than any other US area.  And it is those images from NY that do so much to shape our collective sorrow.  In fact, the "leaders" in NY made a big production in signaling their woke displeasure with the one thing Trump unquestionably did right, which was to ban travel from Wuhan.  We will never know but there's a good chance they would have defied Trump regardless of what he did or said, just because #Resistance!  It's not like they woke up in March 2020 and suddenly realized Trump was Trump.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:21:00 PM by Bernie Bell »

Sean_A

« Reply #627 on: April 14, 2020, 04:39:47 PM »
Sean,

Did Trump confuse you?

Nope. There has never been a time when I admired Trump, trusted Trump nor would have voted for Trump in any capacity.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:35:16 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #628 on: April 14, 2020, 04:48:52 PM »
Putting politics aside, the last few posts have reminded me of the importance of the Boy Scout Motto " BE PREPARED"

In this light I have admired the recent story of P.J. Prasad, who is credited for his brilliant work in preparing the province of Alberta for this crisis. Mr. Prasad runs the Alberta Health Services Procurement System and he and his team were aware of the serious imminent threat of this virus in early December and immediately stockpiled needed supplies before most of the western world paid attention. By mid-December they were still doubling their emergency orders and this early action got Alberta to the front of the line when the viral outbreak accelerated. By being pro-active, the province maintained its position in the production cycle for ongoing deliveries. This was all completed BEFORE the New Year!   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #629 on: April 14, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
Sean,

Did Trump confuse you?

Nope. There has never been a time when admired Trump, trusted Trump nor would have voted for Trump in any capacity.

Ciao

I didn't think that he had confused you, as a matter of fact I've never met anyone who he has.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #630 on: April 14, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
Sean,

Did Trump confuse you?

Nope. There has never been a time when admired Trump, trusted Trump nor would have voted for Trump in any capacity.

Ciao

Who would have guessed?  Shocked!   :o :o :o

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #631 on: April 14, 2020, 05:05:02 PM »
If the main responsibility for fighting the virus rests with the states, then are they allowed to close their borders to the other states? Are they allowed to close their airports and train stations? If yes, then the point can be made that federal intervention is unnecessary - but why then the Corona task force in the White House? I think overall it's reasonable to expect that Trump takes on a leadership role in this battle and, first and foremost, stands in front of his governors and protects them. If he expects them to do the bulk of the work, he could fill any number of supportive roles. From securing and shipping materials to talking to the American public. He does some of that, but spends way too much time taking credit for other people's work and praising his own performance.

Lou,

get over it, it was your turn to play and you didn't get on with it. Happens to all of us, me included. Most of the times when I was told to speed up, it was correct. Maybe in your case it's different and you suffered an injustice on my hands.

However, if my posting offended you, but saved a life somewhere in Michigan, it was worth it. And if not, then I have done you wrong yet again. Can anyone get more unlucky than that? Well, let me put it this way: you need to get over looking at just yourself and the injustices done to you, because they are fairly small in comparison to what others at this time are going through. I still think you're a pretty decent guy, but you have more potential, if you would allow yourself that.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #632 on: April 14, 2020, 05:23:31 PM »
Suppose that any or each of the top 100 corporations in the US had been searching for a new CEO four years ago.  How many of the various BOD's would have decided that Donald Trump was the man to lead them?  I think we all know what the number would be.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #633 on: April 14, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
Ulrich,

I have lived on the border of a couple of States my entire life. Currently I live in one State that is on Eastern time while working in a State on Central. As a kid the drinking age was 18 in one while 21 in the other. Now marijuana is legal in one and not the other. Labor laws are so different that crossing State lines is impractical. Truck loading limits vary. As a matter of fact just about every damn thing changes when you cross the river. States rights are a vital part of American life. It's an oddly beautiful thing.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #634 on: April 14, 2020, 05:42:19 PM »
On the original subject, there is a wealth of information here.
https://www.thengfq.com/covid-19/

Bernie Bell

« Reply #635 on: April 14, 2020, 06:03:19 PM »
Suppose that any or each of the top 100 corporations in the US had been searching for a new CEO four years ago.  How many of the various BOD's would have decided that Donald Trump was the man to lead them?  I think we all know what the number would be.

Who cares?  How many of them in 2020 would have picked Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, or Bernie Sanders over Mike Bloomberg?  I'm sure you would agree that the executive search firm that presents us as a board of directors with our two choices for CEO every four years doesn't always do such a great job.  Not that Joe Biden and Donald Trump aren't the two most obvious choices among the 150 million or so who are eligible.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #636 on: April 14, 2020, 07:11:14 PM »
Ulrich,

I have lived on the border of a couple of States my entire life. Currently I live in one State that is on Eastern time while working in a State on Central. As a kid the drinking age was 18 in one while 21 in the other. Now marijuana is legal in one and not the other. Labor laws are so different that crossing State lines is impractical. Truck loading limits vary. As a matter of fact just about every damn thing changes when you cross the river. States rights are a vital part of American life. It's an oddly beautiful thing.
John,
Will you now suit up for WWE now that is an essential service in your adopted state :)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #637 on: April 14, 2020, 07:14:45 PM »
I don’t want to fight Gronk.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #638 on: April 14, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
Interestingly enough I have watched Wrestle Mania on pay per view and been ringside for a Summer Slam. I think the WWE can be viewed under multiple safe conditions. It is as vital in some communities as the NFL. Theoretically I can't see a difference.

We don't want to be in a situation where only the entertainment of the rich is essential.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #639 on: April 14, 2020, 07:49:10 PM »
I have an almost unhealthy attraction to robots. One of our greatest needs is the ability for people to go get a haircut. Given the advances of the most delicate robotic surgeries would it be all that difficult to build a helmet like device that a customer would wear as the barber remotely controls a network of scissors. Cutting hair ain't brain surgery after all.

We just may come out of this a better more interesting world.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #640 on: April 14, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
How can you prepare for a pandemic that never happened before without increasing the budget?
How about not dismantling the Pandemic Response team in 2018? How about not spending money on a useless wall and using those funds for PPE? Trump has proven he is not a leader and continues to lie daily and when the media calls him on his lies and moronic actions or inactions he screams "fake news". Trump puts himself in front of America's needs and Republicans back him up like useless lemmings. Hopefully governors like mine in Cali will band together and bring knowledge and common sense to this pandemic while ignoring the rhetoric and lies coming from the White House.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #641 on: April 14, 2020, 09:56:43 PM »
I would suggest finding a leader who isn’t afraid to leave his house.

archie_struthers

« Reply #642 on: April 14, 2020, 11:16:37 PM »
 :P :-X 

If nothing else this discussion shows the polarization of the field here. As one who has abhorred both Republicans and Democrats for most of my adult life it comes as no surprise to me. Since Roman times it has been the body politic that is our biggest enemy but it seems so few realize it. I've seen good friends who agree on most everything from religion to guns almost come to blows or stop talking to one another over who they support in an election.

The best non golf teacher I have had  other than my father was a Kenyan who taught political science at Maryland. His analysis of the malaise wrought by dependency in emerging nations and within our cities was nothing short of brilliant. Note this occurred forty years ago and little has changed! Millennials hear the same cries of inequality that we were exposed to in the early eighties. It's just couched differently.

In the winter I can't ride my bike real early as it's cold (and windy) down here by the ocean. Can't play my music too loud as my wife is sleeping and my dog recently died so walks have lost some luster. So what have I been doing. Yep, watching the news shows or what purport to be news. Fox, CNN and MSNBC all appear to be slanted. So slanted that their reports of the days events tend not be be a standard deviation but antithetical. I find this incredibly frustrating as one who so enjoyed reading the newspapers before delivering them on my bike so many years ago. At least then they made a feint at objectivity on occasion. Not so today. :'(

So, if anyone finds an honest broker reporting on news from the pandemic to the FED and free money post it here.  Lord knows there may be one somewhere.

They have now banned us from walking on the beaches and the boardwalk so there is little to do but wait for this to pass. I for one am ok with hoping we have a summer akin to previous ones!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:16:15 AM by archie_struthers »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #643 on: April 15, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »
Archie, I also remember a time when you watched the news or read the paper you learned the facts with no opinion added. Those days are long gone and IMHO the "slanted" news has hurt this country. I'm also sick of the blame game from both sides. They should all shut the fuck up and just deal with problem. What's happened in the past, who's fault it is, are meaningless when it comes to this virus. Let's all work together and end it as painlessly as possible. Learn from it, get stronger from it, and move on.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

archie_struthers

« Reply #644 on: April 15, 2020, 07:19:51 AM »
 :-* 8)

Rob +1

Bernie Bell

« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2020, 08:05:12 AM »
Archie, very sorry about your dog.  Always tough, tougher now I'm sure.  And Jersey shore without the beach, that ain't right.

The WSJ is the least biased US source of independent reporting on national and international news.  Skip the opinions if you don't care for them, they're clearly labelled and not confused with the reporting.  That's a statement of my opinion, but it's a consensus opinion among those who score these things.  Of course even the self-appointed watchdogs aren't straight these days.  Snopes has be
en "fact checking" Babylon Bee, a purely satirical website.  People literally can't take a joke, as many comedians of all stripes have pointed out.  Comedy is "problematic."

Some aggregators like allsides.com and realclearpolitics.com juxtapose different slants side by side which can be interesting.

These days I DVR the 6pm and 7pm slots on Fox News, because they are the only channel that covers the White House press conference end to end.  Then I fast forward past everything but Fauci, Birx and when he's there, Mnuchin.  Straight from the horses' mouths.  Takes some effort but I'm not going anywhere.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:09:31 AM by Bernie Bell »

Tim Martin

« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2020, 09:39:35 AM »
:P :-X 

They have now banned us from walking on the beaches and the boardwalk so there is little to do but wait for this to pass. I for one am ok with hoping we have a summer akin to previous ones!

Archie-I love the Jersey Shore and am looking forward to a trip when the all clear is in place. Daydreaming of a boardwalk sausage and pepper sandwich, a White House Special and a prime rib from Jo Jo’s in Pleasantville. Would like to play Manasquan River GC before descending on Atlantic City.

jeffwarne

« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2020, 09:46:53 AM »
https://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2020/04/14/michigan-private-golf-clubs-open-to-member-play-after-attorney-general-interpretation-forced-closed-the-next-day-1189

lots of interpretations of what "closed" means.

And of course it changes daily, depending upon interpretations, but this is a state that bears watching-hard hit in Detroit yet a lot of remote rural areas.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2020, 09:57:22 AM »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »
Good to see the Weather Channel leading the pack on reliability and unbiased reporting :)

Personally, I have found USA Today to be a decent newspaper. I'm not reading it much, since obviously I'm more interested in German news, but whenever I look I'm fine with their reporting.

But please don't believe that biased news is a US problem exclusively. I am not at all happy with our situation in Germany. True, we don't have anything as bad as Fox News and our newspapers don't endorse politicians (what a horrible idea!), but it is very hard to find a news outlet that resists leaning towards the left or right. Unfortunately this gives rise to extremist media, because their complaint of mainstream news being "fake" and/or "politically correct" is actually justified in many cases.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back