News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #525 on: April 10, 2020, 10:04:39 AM »
My village actually uninstalled the free disc golf course in the park next to me.  It was quite a job to do so as the metal poles were cemented in the ground and the chain baskets were fixed upon them.  Now, instead of a dozen or so disc golfers per day playing to the baskets, they are playing to the trees that are near where the baskets were.
Yup. Sounds about right.

P.S. They did a bad job of installing those. Most disc golf baskets have a locking pole, which you put a lock on, and are (re)movable. The cemented base pole stays in the ground.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #526 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »
Back to Nevada. Since the Governor's Order was poorly worded, some private clubs remain open claiming that the Order only applied to public recreational facilities:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/?p=2003059
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »
Back to Nevada. Since the Governor's Order was poorly worded, some private clubs remain open claiming that the Order only applied to public recreational facilities:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/?p=2003059

Very Scalia of them.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bernie Bell

« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #529 on: April 10, 2020, 12:50:56 PM »

Ginsburg would be much more concerned with the spirit of the law, that all courses should be closed even though the language doesn't expressly say so.

Scalia would have said if that was what the writers of the law meant, they should have written it that way.  Strict constructionalism.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #530 on: April 10, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »
I would say it's more Bader Ginsburg of them.  "The rules don't apply to me, because reasons."

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-ruth-bader-ginsburg-gym-rbg-workout-social-distancing-20200401-4uxnmonqxbgzjkdt6xzcsqe5hq-story.html
Help me out, Bernie.  Given that it isn't a public facility, or even the main space of a private facility, that her doctors deem the workouts essential to her health, and in light of what is below, what rules is RBG "saying" don't apply to her?  What part of DC's Covid rules is she violating in either letter or spirit?

"Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said Ginsburg has her own exercise spot."

"At Justice Ginsburg's request, the Court has set aside the limited private space next to its health facility for Justice Ginsburg to exercise. Her doctors share her view that the training sessions are essential to her well-being,"...
"The space is being used exclusively by the justice," Arberg added. "No other justices are using the space, and the employee gym is closed to all users."

"Johnson (RBG's personal trainer) said he is taking extra precautions and keeping a safe distance between him and Ginsburg during their sessions.  He said he wipes "every piece of equipment" he thinks Ginsburg will come in contact with and washes his hands after."
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bernie Bell

« Reply #531 on: April 10, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »
AG - Every other public, private or government gym in DC is closed by government order.  Every other trainer in DC is scrambling to stay as busy as they can with clients who are willing to work on Facetime, Zoom, etc., using whatever equipment or household objects the clients have at hand.  You think RBG is the only resident of DC whose workouts are "essential to her health", or who could get a doctor's note saying so?  Gimme a break.  The spokesperson's statement is a total back-fill after the "badass" PR stunt backfired.  The "spirit of the law" my ass. 

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #533 on: April 10, 2020, 02:53:30 PM »
Pay attention to who is running for national office.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:35:36 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Tommy Williamsen

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »

An update from the corporate entity that manages my home course and more than 30 others here in Canada.  It seems a little on the optimistic side of when they might open.  On the positive side the course should grow in nicely without the early season idiots driving carts through rough, wet areas and around greens.

"    ..........................

Our focus right now is the health and safety of our employees, Members and guests, while performing only essential work (as regulated by the Province) to maintain the golf course and other assets in preparation for the season.

It has come to our attention that some Clubs have received visits from Municipal Law Enforcement Officers. The Officers have been making sure that the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act orders are being followed. This includes making sure the Clubs are in fact closed, that only essential maintenance work continues and that a skeleton staff of employees are practicing social distancing. To be in compliance with this provincial order, we must remain completely closed to Members, guests and general public. Even going for a walk on the golf course is not permitted at this time.

Over the last few weeks, we’ve been collaborating with industry associations, advisory groups and our local teams to develop a comprehensive set of standard operating procedures (SOP) that will allow us to keep our Members, guests and employees as safe as possible at all locations when we open.

Our expectation is that strict physical distancing and other safety precautions will be required for an unspecified timeframe. As a result, very limited services will be available initially. The SOP offers three phases of precautionary protocols that allow services to be ramped up on a graduated basis, as appropriate. Once the SOP are completed, and an opening timeframe is known, we will share all the details of the SOP and expectations for Members and guests when visiting the Clubs.

The fluidity of this crisis represents a great challenge for all of us. We will continue to follow the guidance of government and health officials with respect to the precautionary protocols deemed necessary.

We are grateful for the support, feedback and questions from our community of Members. The original list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) has been updated below. The FAQ can also be found on your Club website by clicking on the “My News” icon.

The answers to questions below are subject to change at any time based upon new information made available.

Q. What is going on at the Club right now?

A. All Clubs are closed and employees are working remotely. A very limited number of employees are on site daily to perform only essential maintenance work. We ask that Member and guests refrain from visiting our Clubs for any reason, including walking the golf course.

Q. When do you anticipate opening and would my Club consider opening just the golf course even if the clubhouse remains closed?

A. At this stage we are still hopeful that we will be able to open courses within our historical timeframes. It is a fluid situation with the weather, course conditions and COVID-19 virus suppression regulations. By the time our golf courses are ready to be open, it may be possible to open for just golf. We will learn more in the next ten days or so as to a realistic timeline and what is possible. Our top priority is to keep employees, Members and guests safe in all situations.

Q. What will happen with my fees if the season is delayed by months or if there is no season at all?

A. The opening timeline for our Member Clubs the last two seasons has fallen between April 26 and May 16, depending upon geographical location. We are still hopeful that opening dates will fall into this window of time. If there is an inordinate delay to the start of the golf season, we will revisit our policies and do what makes sense under the circumstances.

Q. If there is substantial delay that results in financial shortfall, will you reconsider your policy about assessments to Members?

A. No. It has always been our policy to not levy assessments to our Members.

Q. What will happen to my minimum during the Club closure?

A. Similar to other fees, no decision will be made until such time that the Clubs have firm opening dates. If at some point it is apparent that there will be an inordinate delay to the start of the golf season, we will revisit our policies and do what makes sense under the circumstances.

Q. Why doesn’t my Club open the kitchen and offer take-out food service to Members?

A. This service has been considered for our Clubs located in urban areas, but for now we have decided not to pursue this under current circumstances.

Q. Can I visit the Club to get something from my locker or to go for a walk on the course?

A. No. The Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act orders the Club to be completely closed out of an abundance of caution, and concern for the health and safety of our employees, Members and guests. At this time we ask our Members and guests to not visit our Clubs for any reason.

"

David_Tepper

« Reply #537 on: April 10, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
The Scottish Golf Union has cancelled their entire schedule of tournaments, events and programs for the balance of the year.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #538 on: April 10, 2020, 04:09:58 PM »
Looks like I owe you guys one. All the whining about fees and such caused me to google if I can get a refund on my Disney season passes. Turns out I can either extend my ticket for the number of days the parks are closed or they will cut me a check. Woo the F hoo. Thank you.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #539 on: April 10, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
His explanation shows how little he knows about either fishing or golf.
Uh huh. Terrible answer.

Edit: I say that as a fisherman, too:

Damn them, couldn't even get my name right when it was typed up for them.  :P

Interesting article: https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid19-runners-6-feet-slipstream-bikers-20200409.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:18:04 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #540 on: April 11, 2020, 10:45:59 AM »
Here you go...

https://nypost.com/2020/04/11/nyc-golfers-sneaking-onto-courses-despite-coronavirus-closures/

Why aren't the police confiscating their clubs? The guy who gave his name needs to be banned for life from golf. Build a black book just like Vegas.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #541 on: April 11, 2020, 11:50:46 AM »

As Illinois golfers flock to Indiana courses amid a coronavirus shutdown in their own state, some Hoosiers are concerned the players could be contributing to the disease's spread.
Police in several communities have responded to reports of golfers not practicing proper social distancing, and some course operators have shut down amid mounting safety concerns.
After closing early and reopening the next day following a complaint and visit from police in late March, Scherwood Golf closed April 6 and won't reopen until conditions allow, according to its website.

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/illinois/recreation-or-risk-golf-courses-face-mounting-pressure-as-coronavirus-fears-rise/article_5b170b15-1b08-56dd-be0f-b5c88cd1e948.html

MCirba

« Reply #542 on: April 11, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »
Like I told a friend yesterday, Governor Wolf's exception for fishing is asinine and arbitrary.   

As much as I'd like to play golf, I support the decision because in my one and only attempt to play I can tell you that social distancing wasn't being observed on the golf course.

In either case, I hope I'm wrong but I'll be shocked if the Majors are actually played in the fall of this year.   I believe that's just bowing down to government pressure to pretend things will be normal again soon.   Ditto the NFL season.   Just my opinion...I'd be very happy to be wrong.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2020, 02:36:29 PM »
Nice Social Distancing on the front page of the article Steve Shaffer posted.   

Anyone want to caption this?   

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #544 on: April 11, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »
What if the caption is "These two family members who live together are happy to get out to play a round of golf together for a little exercise."?  :)

(Note: not all that serious. I've supported walking only - no carts at all - for states that want to allow golf.)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #545 on: April 11, 2020, 07:07:45 PM »
The terrible thing is that the US is going to pay so badly for all those infractions, unclear rules, different standards by state, idiots in a bubble of their own, self-indulgent leaders, irresponsible TV stations etc.

And the extremely unfair aspect is that it's not just the chaff that perishes. There's a large number of responsible and caring medical personnel that are, unbeknownst to them, already sentenced to death.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

archie_struthers

« Reply #546 on: April 11, 2020, 08:53:05 PM »
 :P

It's so tough as to when it will really be safe. If it gets where you can't put anyone in jeopardy before we unlock the gates it could be an interminable amount of time. This doesn't mean I'm for cutting everyone loose but it's going to be an uneasy call whenever.

Having to care for an 89 and 91 year old daily I have to be really careful and it's tough to follow all safety rules that's for sure. YOu don't want to put anyone else in harms way! God bless those toiling away in hospitals saving lives. Let's all say a prayer for their well being  :-*

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #547 on: April 12, 2020, 03:22:39 AM »
What if the caption is "These two family members who live together are happy to get out to play a round of golf together for a little exercise."?  :)

(Note: not all that serious. I've supported walking only - no carts at all - for states that want to allow golf.)

2000 deaths yesterday Erik. Riding a cart or walking. REALLY!!!!!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #548 on: April 12, 2020, 04:26:53 AM »
Not sure where the shortage of beds and ventilator figures come from, the exclude the new Nightingale hospitals being built in the UK. I spoke yesterday with a senior NHS manager in London and they aren’t overwhelmed and have spare capacity.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #549 on: April 12, 2020, 06:12:46 AM »
Not sure where the shortage of beds and ventilator figures come from, the exclude the new Nightingale hospitals being built in the UK. I spoke yesterday with a senior NHS manager in London and they aren’t overwhelmed and have spare capacity.

Hey Mark,

the bed shortage is stats from a website so it must be true. Add to that the fact it comes from a guy who is ALWAYS right I am surprised you have the barefaced cheek to even think about contradicting it.  ??? ::) Clearly if someone's dilemma is whether it is ethical to walk or ride a cart whilst thousands of his fellow citizens are dying he moves on a completely plain to the rest of us.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back