News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2020, 07:01:14 PM »
One of the things that very mildly peeved irked Richard Zokol at Sagebrush was moi carrying a small rake (8-10" sweep) in my golf bag. It is back in the bag.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2020, 07:41:35 PM »
It's just a few days between the US having the best health care system in the world and people thinking they could be left to die in a hospital. Fast forward another few days... you get the picture. Exponential growth is not human scale, so any human scale argument is moot.

I don't know if lockdowns work. In theory they should. But we're pretty short on options, so might as well try that.

France and Germany had the same number of infections and the same growth rate for quite some time. The development was very parallel. But then Macron shut down the country and it took Germany almost a week longer to do the same. Compare the numbers since and especially going forward.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:43:06 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »
France and Germany had the same number of infections and the same growth rate for quite some time. The development was very parallel. But then Macron shut down the country and it took Germany almost a week longer to do the same. Compare the numbers since and especially going forward.

Note two things:
  • The scale of the y-axis is logarithmic, so it's deceiving.
  • There's no scaling for the populations of the countries shown.
Draw your own conclusions, but pay attention to those two things, too.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Ash Towe

« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
All golf courses in NZ are closed. It is deemed a non essential business.

The country is in a state of lockdown for the next 28 days, minimum. The government has also declared a state of emergency.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2020, 08:35:48 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2020, 08:48:12 PM »
Public & Private Courses Ordered Closed in Palm Beach County, FL
https://www.wpbf.com/article/palm-beach-county-orders-public-private-golf-courses-closed/31933039
that will hurt. Only options are Andrews AFB and Doral

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Mark Pearce

« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2020, 03:40:31 AM »
Going to meet with your regular 4 ball is unnecessary social contact and is a potential transmission point.
This is why it's best you don't make assumptions.
Assumption?  I wasn't making an assumption.  You have stated you went to play with your daughter.  As my previous posts said, fine, so long as you don't come into contact with others.  But some people are still playing in the regular 4 balls, aren't they?  Some, as Ryan's post suggests, are still even thinking of travelling to play golf.  Sometimes not just assuming everything everyone says here is disagreeing with you would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:11:11 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2020, 03:44:24 AM »
The scale of the y-axis is logarithmic, so it's deceiving.
No, the best way of representing something which is, theoretically, growing exponentially is on a logarithmic scale.  Not sure why the size of the country's population changes the rate of growth graphs?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2020, 05:16:52 AM »
Here is a link to the R&A/EGU/Bigga position on essential course maintenance -
https://www.englandgolf.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Essential-Maintenance-Statement-Agronomy-and-BIGGA.pdf
atb

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2020, 07:45:55 AM »
Assumption?  I wasn't making an assumption.  You have stated you went to play with your daughter.  As my previous posts said, fine, so long as you don't come into contact with others.  But some people are still playing in the regular 4 balls, aren't they?
You quoted me and then said things that I hadn’t said. It implies, because you quoted me, that you were responding to me.

And yes a graph like this can and should be logarithmic. It makes sense to a small number of people. To most, that’s misleading, as is not adjusting for population size. I’m just asking people to pay attention to the graphs. They can skew your perception of the data.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:48:21 AM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Mark Pearce

« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »
Assumption?  I wasn't making an assumption.  You have stated you went to play with your daughter.  As my previous posts said, fine, so long as you don't come into contact with others.  But some people are still playing in the regular 4 balls, aren't they?
You quoted me and then said things that I hadn’t said. It implies, because you quoted me, that you were responding to me.

And yes a graph like this can and should be logarithmic. It makes sense to a small number of people. To most, that’s misleading, as is not adjusting for population size. I’m just asking people to pay attention to the graphs. They can skew your perception of the data.
I was responding to you.  Just not disagreeing with you.  Take the time to read the last sentence of my earlier response.  And you said the graph was deceiving but now agree it's the right way to present the data.  Which is it?

jeffwarne

« Reply #262 on: March 26, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »
This... from the new epicenter of this virus, New York, which has 8 percent of the world's cases!

while most of the world's courses are closed with small #'s of cases. (new Zealand has 283 cases and the country is locked down with no golf-we have more deaths than that in NYC alone!)

Golf courses in NY now being told they CAN be open.....

This is no doubt being caused by responses from other courses that New York State owned publics were open (which makes no sense if you're trying to get people to comply and stay home)

And my landscaper worked yesterday, with "landscaping" being deemed essential

I can assure you , such inconsistencies will lead to quick frustration amongst the 3.2 million who filed for unemployment this week because their "non-essential" businesses were closed, particularly amongst the small business owners going out out of business..

I happen to think golf is a fairly safe activity for the players, but a pretty poor example in a hot zone like New York(especially for State run courses)-it certainly will accelerate calls to return to work by others who feel their job is low risk as well.
That said, this will be with us for awhile and probably seasonally, so we're going to have to figure out some common sense solutions to stay safe yet meet the economic needs of people.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:23:11 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
This article says 40,000 golfers a year are injured and require a visit to an emergency room each year.

https://hkinsurance.com/2016/08/golf-ball-injuries-liability/

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
And you said the graph was deceiving but now agree it's the right way to present the data.  Which is it?
It's simple: a scientist or a person with a mathematical or scientific background knows to look at the axes and understands why they might make this graph logarithmic.

However, most people do not. Most people will be deceived by this graph and draw conclusions not supported by the data for the two reasons listed above. It's not an either/or situation: those two things can be true at the same time.

And my landscaper worked yesterday, with "landscaping" being deemed essential
I went and mowed some greens at my home course today, and when I got home, my landscaper was putting down the first application of fertilizer/weed control/whatever-he-does on my yard. :P  Golf course maintenance is important… my own yard? Not so much. But he's allowed to work, because as you said, landscaping is "essential" or "life supporting."

People are going to get restless. In some parts of the country, I agree that golf can be pretty darn safe given the proper precautions. In some others, not so much.

One of the private clubs here is looking the other way while members walk the course. Others are officially "closed" but the head pro and none of the staff (except maintenance) are on the property. I'm not sure if the super is going to chase anyone away. I've heard from some golfers who are going to Ohio today to play golf (it's warm today), because Ohio's courses are open.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:14:23 AM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
This article says 40,000 golfers a year are injured and require a visit to an emergency room each year.

Do you actually believe this?

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »

Tommy,

I was thinking same.  Works out to 100+ visits per day.

I've been playing golf for 20+ years and only saw one incident where it was like you better get that checked out. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:58 PM »

The number doesn't feel right but when you consider the millions of drunks that are at golf clubs day in and day out it doesn't surprise me. I do know that if I owned a golf course I would not self insure.

I was injured by a golf ball this year while playing 7 man wolf. I should have gone to the emergency room but if I had it would have been our last day of 7 man wolf. Even ole Kalen flipped a golf cart during a GCA outing.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »

The number doesn't feel right but when you consider the millions of drunks that are at golf clubs day in and day out it doesn't surprise me. I do know that if I owned a golf course I would not self insure.

I was injured by a golf ball this year while playing 7 man wolf. I should have gone to the emergency room but if I had it would have been our last day of 7 man wolf. Even ole Kalen flipped a golf cart during a GCA outing.

JK,

Only half right.  I have flipped a golf cart before, but not on a GCA outing.  Although I was on said outing when another GCA member flipped his cart!  ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2020, 01:24:25 PM »
Probably driving or riding in a golf cart, possibly not sober. I've seen people hit with golf clubs, and golf balls that had to be 911ed
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:27:48 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2020, 02:03:48 PM »
It is becoming more clear to me every day that my generation could not have carried my father's generation's jock-strap.   He often lamented that the world was going to hell in a hand-basket and that what we needed was a good war.   I think he was right.  At least my boy won't get drafted in this one. 

I trust there will be something redemptive in this crisis. 

Please guys, don't take any chances.

Mike 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »
Just got done "playing" nine holes with my daughter. We "loaded" up the Sunday bag (each) with four or five clubs, and played from the tees to the greens, often with two or three balls, and walked. The cups (the holes where the cups go, anyway) are filled with sand right now, so no putting, but now and then we hit a few chips. It's quite windy, and a bit soggy.

We were the only people on the entire course besides the superintendent (mowing fairways) and the head pro (finishing up the greens mowing I helped with this morning).

My wife walked 5 miles around our neighborhood and passed 79 other people by her count.

PA remains "closed" to all golf courses, whether you're in Philly or not. Erie had five cases of COVID-19, but four of those five trace back to one person who got back from a cruise in early March. Soon if no other cases pop up we should have zero active cases.

I've heard, unfortunately, of golfers driving to Ohio to play golf. Little Mountain is definitely open.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Buck Wolter

« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »
Just got done "playing" nine holes with my daughter. We "loaded" up the Sunday bag (each) with four or five clubs, and played from the tees to the greens, often with two or three balls, and walked. The cups (the holes where the cups go, anyway) are filled with sand right now, so no putting, but now and then we hit a few chips. It's quite windy, and a bit soggy.

We were the only people on the entire course besides the superintendent (mowing fairways) and the head pro (finishing up the greens mowing I helped with this morning).

My wife walked 5 miles around our neighborhood and passed 79 other people by her count.

PA remains "closed" to all golf courses, whether you're in Philly or not. Erie had five cases of COVID-19, but four of those five trace back to one person who got back from a cruise in early March. Soon if no other cases pop up we should have zero active cases.

I've heard, unfortunately, of golfers driving to Ohio to play golf. Little Mountain is definitely open.

Minnesota has closed courses so my Son and I are headed to Iowa this weekend. If they were serious about stopping this they'd blockade NYC not keep people from playing golf with proper precautions.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2020, 02:33:08 PM »
Here's a state by state list:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/heres-a-state-by-state-breakdown-of-where-golfs-allowed-and-where-it-isnt[

FL has to be updated as Palm Beach County courses are now closed.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2020, 02:46:28 PM »

Minnesota has closed courses so my Son and I are headed to Iowa this weekend. If they were serious about stopping this they'd blockade NYC not keep people from playing golf with proper precautions.

Buck,

If you choose to take your beautiful innocent son across state lines this weekend to play golf just because you can please don’t call me to play again. Do me a favor and read him what I said. It’s always nice to know that some guy you met if only for a short time is concerned about your safety.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back