News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Flory

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
Turning the cup insert upside down is being used too. Flag still fits and it only leaves a shallow cup for the ball to reside in prior to being picked carefully out without the players fingers touching the edges.
Atb

That seems more desirable. 

Or maybe we should all get those suction cups to put on our putters. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »
Turning the cup insert upside down is being used too. Flag still fits and it only leaves a shallow cup for the ball to reside in prior to being picked carefully out without the players fingers touching the edges.
Atb
Actually, that's what we're doing.  Playing today on the 12th at Northumberland my son's 4' birdie putt went straight in and, somehow, bounced out, mine just caught the edge and dropped.  I'm very much in favour.  This week at least.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
Until today, many public and semi private courses in Northern New Jersey were open for play with the following conditions. No food and beverage service, club houses and pro shops closed except to collect green fees. No riding carts, no rakes, ball washers or water coolers. No pulling the flags. I played my first round of the year in NJ yesterday with a  a fourball (walking) and keeping our distance. Got home after the round and received this notice from the course.  I received the same basic message from Rock Spring in West Orange.

River Vale Country Club Closing at End of Business Today

At the close of business today, Saturday, March 21, 2020, River Vale Country Club will be closing until further notice by Executive Order by the Governor of New Jersey.

The safety and well being of our guests and staff is the first priority.  We hope that you and your families remain safe during this extremely difficult time. 

As the course is officially closed, no one is permitted at or on the golf course at any time.  We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Again, we hope that all of you and your families stay safe.

New York courses may still be open per the following note I received earlier today

Dear Members,[/size]During this unprecedented time there are many questions as to what is safe to do and what is not.  Many of you may be wondering how this impacts the club and your membership here.  Myself and Joe have been working diligently in finding out what options we have to be able to open while keeping our members and our staff safe.  While following the guidelines set by the New York State Governor and the guidelines provided to us by the  County Executive's office we will be able to open on April 3rd!  There will however be very strict policies and procedures our staff and members must follow.  Please read the following procedures very carefully as we will all need to follow them to ensure our safety when coming to the club.- The club house and locker rooms will be completely off limits.  The only bathrooms available will be the snack shack bathrooms.  The snack shack bathrooms will be sanitized at the beginning of the day, end of the day, and periodically throughout the day.  There will also be a sanitizing spray and towels out side of the bathrooms to be used as needed.  Each bathroom will have antibiotic soap.  Please wash your hands on a regular basis!- The snack shack will be open for drinks and limited food to take out on the course. - Golf carts will be available for single person use only.  Golf carts will be sanitized at the beginning of the day, end of the day, and after every use. We recommend walking the course when ever possible. Players must remove all of their own garbage from golf carts at completion of round.- Golf carts will be staged and parked at least 6 feet from each other at all times.- Members must handle their own equipment at all times.  Loading and unloading your clubs from your car and onto and off of golf carts.  Bag storage will not be available at this time.- Flag sticks must NOT be removed from the cup! All flag sticks and cups will be sanitized daily but there will be no situation where you will have to touch them.  - A pool noodle will be cut down and placed inside each cup so that the only thing you have to touch will be your own golf ball.[/color]

corey miller

« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »

Halfway house and bathrooms open and trust members to not touch the flagstick.....Life goes on!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2020, 03:48:44 PM »
Just went for a hike on Barcelona Neck and crossed Sag Harbor Golf Club.
Packed parking lot, full course(all walkers or pullers)-not sure if clubhouse was open.
Not much riding there anyway and may not be available this time of year.
And though it was beautiful, it was 38 degrees at 2 pm.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bernie Bell

« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
I've heard that some privates in Nassau County are permitting push carts for now.  Heaven forfend!  The end of golf as we know it?  Or just a wartime dalliance?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »
Was still planning to make my trip to Pinehurst to play four courses Thu-Sun, but virtually certain I'm canceling that trip on Monday.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
I did my bit for self-isolation and played today with an imaginary ball. Shot a 59. So I’ve got that going for me.
F.

Martin, 

Did you miss the final putt for a 58?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
Was still planning to make my trip to Pinehurst to play four courses Thu-Sun, but virtually certain I'm canceling that trip on Monday.

Traveling from Pennsylvania to Pinehurst for golf is exactly the type of behavior that may cost people their lives and at the very least the rest of us our liberties.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2020, 04:44:51 PM »
Would it be such a sacrifice for all courses to restrict play to people who are residing no further than 100 miles from the course? Proof of residence required. At the very least go to and from the course without interacting with other innocent people.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
Traveling from Pennsylvania to Pinehurst for golf is exactly the type of behavior that may cost people their lives and at the very least the rest of us our liberties.
That's not remotely accurate. I've been around the other three people the entire time we've been self isolating. We would not have interacted with anyone within ten feet, as all payments were done already. We were going to play golf in our own foursome, not touching the flagsticks or ball washers, etc. And we were going to cook food we brought down in our own condo.

We were going to be at least as isolated as we are here, where it's cooler (the virus seems to like cold and dislike heat, and it will be hot in Pinehurst this week) as we would have been in Pinehurst.

Anyway, since canceling is just an email, we canceled it about 20 minutes after that last post. A month ago, we were only worried about the weather. Stuff is changing daily. Hourly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:20:03 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Mark Pearce

« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »

I disagree with a lot of what you say but this is absolutely spot on.  Even contemplating still making that trip recklessly endangers other people.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »
That's not remotely accurate. I've been around the other three people the entire time we've been self isolating. We would not have interacted with anyone within ten feet, as all payments were done already. We were going to play golf in our own foursome, not touching the flagsticks or ball washers, etc. And we were going to cook food we brought down in our own condo.

We were going to be at least as isolated as we are here, where it's cooler (the virus seems to like cold and dislike heat, and it will be hot in Pinehurst this week) as we would have been in Pinehurst.

Anyway, since canceling is just an email, we canceled it about 20 minutes after that last post. A month ago, we were only worried about the weather. Stuff is changing daily. Hourly.

This is why we can’t be trusted. I had to ask an 80 yr old woman at a walk up ice cream window to exit my space this morning. Poor thing was so offended that I had to explain that it was for her own protection. Eventually over a four day cross country trip you will have a fail. Guaranteed.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2020, 06:02:19 PM »
Even contemplating still making that trip recklessly endangers other people.
Contemplating (thinking about) something endangers people? No. Actually going? Maybe, which is why we canceled.

Eventually over a four day cross country trip you will have a fail. Guaranteed.
No more than we'll have here. We're mostly staying in here, but we have had to get groceries, and we've gone on walks and ridden our bikes. Friday we cleaned out our whole garage. We've gotten mail most every day, too.

PA has been right behind Ohio in how aggressively we've changed our behavior. Much more aggressively than almost every other state. We've been staying in our homes for over a week now. Why are the courses in the Pinehurst area still open? Why are golf courses anywhere still open? Why did Florida allow spring breakers - people who were definitely not practicing "social distancing" as we'd have been - to come to FL and then return to their homes across the country? Why did my friend's course in Durham have an 84-player event today? Why was the Florida Azalea still played?

https://palatkagolfclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/no-e.pdf

At any rate, every golf course around here is closed. I know of a few people who continue to "play" the Kahkwa Club, though they've taken the flagsticks out. They have a sign on the first tee asking people not to play, but members seem to go out anyway.

PA is toward the top of the states restricting things right now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:22:57 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
Courses that are in Pinehurst and Florida have year round residents as well as snowbirds to play their courses. I can’t imagine any are advocating for customers to jump in their cars and drive across a half dozen or more states to stay, play and eat. ::)

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2020, 06:36:54 PM »
Courses that are in Pinehurst and Florida have year round residents as well as snowbirds to play their courses. I can’t imagine any are advocating for customers to jump in their cars and drive across a half dozen or more states to stay, play and eat. ::)
The fact is that courses in Pinehurst are still open and doing nothing to restrict access to those courses based on your home address. Meanwhile here in PA, courses are simply closed as they are "non-life-sustaining" operations. Ohio as well, I believe. Bethpage is still open, last I heard. Pinehurst. Palatka. Etc.

The only thing I'm left to wonder is when this ends. When will sports return (the NBA, etc.)? When will things start to get back to normal? We'll have to wait and see. As for now, it still seems so odd to me that they played the first round of the PLAYERS about ten days ago.

https://www.pineneedleslodge.com/coronavirus-update/
https://www.pinehurst.com/covid-19-updates/
https://www.pinehurst.com/news/stay-safe-but-we-hope-you-can-still-enjoy-golf/
https://twitter.com/PinehurstResort/status/1240747911388020738
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:40:08 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »
The fact is that courses in Pinehurst are still open and doing nothing to restrict access to those courses based on your home address. Meanwhile here in PA, courses are simply closed as they are "non-life-sustaining" operations. Ohio as well, I believe. Bethpage is still open, last I heard. Pinehurst. Palatka. Etc.

The only thing I'm left to wonder is when this ends. When will sports return (the NBA, etc.)? When will things start to get back to normal? We'll have to wait and see. As for now, it still seems so odd to me that they played the first round of the PLAYERS about ten days ago.

https://www.pineneedleslodge.com/coronavirus-update/
https://www.pinehurst.com/covid-19-updates/
https://www.pinehurst.com/news/stay-safe-but-we-hope-you-can-still-enjoy-golf/
https://twitter.com/PinehurstResort/status/1240747911388020738

After reading your series of posts I’m convinced you would have gone if you didn’t get your money back. Are you the decision maker for the group? :o

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2020, 06:53:17 PM »
We are asked to shelter in place to protect others as much as ourselves. This is not Darwinism, the dummies will be fine.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2020, 07:00:15 PM »
After reading your series of posts I’m convinced you would have gone if you didn’t get your money back. Are you the decision maker for the group? :o
That's interesting, seeing as how I didn't "get my money back." You can be "convinced" all you want; you're wrong.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2020, 07:18:01 PM »

Nothing about no refund here!? Mmmm...

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
There's nothing wrong with going out while being careful. In fact, that's a good thing. Theoretically such a trip could be done in a safe manner. However, as JK has said, for such a long trip (several days, many miles) with several people you are bound to run into an unfortunate situation. Maybe through no wrong-doing of yourself, perhaps through a momentary lapse of attention. The likelihood of an "accident" of sorts increases with the complexity of the plan.

Therefore everyone from now on in needs to carefully judge how much control can really be exerted over the situation. There's nothing wrong with contemplation and figuring out if it can be made to work. And, it appears, you did the contemplation and made the right decision.

My wife and I wanted to go for a walk today. There are many beautiful places here in Bavaria, lakes and mountains, where we usually love to go - but so do others. Therefore we decided to go to a less fashionable place in order to not run into so many people. And it worked, we were able to keep the safety distance between us and the other groups.

What we all need to do to flatten the curve is to infect less than one person. Not per day or per week, but throughout the entire 14 days that we could theoretically be contagious. And that one person will usually be your spouse or children living in the same household, so your quota is already exhausted. Don't go near others. Period.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »
Nothing about no refund here!? Mmmm...
Yep: nothing about a refund.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:26:35 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Kalen Braley

« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2020, 07:25:51 PM »
A few days ago, the US wasn't even in the top 10 globally for number of cases, now we're 3rd highest.

Even as much as I'm tempted to do simple things like go to the store, best just to stay home.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
A few days ago, the US wasn't even in the top 10 globally for number of cases, now we're 3rd highest.
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we're just now actually testing people.

One thing I'm curious about: is there a test to see if you once had it, and have recovered?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Mike Hendren

« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2020, 07:33:44 PM »

Bogey
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:35:00 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back