News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »
New Zealand?  interesting, it is pretty isolated I suppose...

P.S.  Here is a covid tracker if anyone is interested. https://bing.com/covid

covid tracker ?!

How do they know ? As far as I know the only people being tested are senior politicians, famous actors and actresses and premier league footballers.

FWIW - I spoke to my brother last night who has a committee meeting tonight at his club. The only topic is the virus and the likely response will be to shut the clubhouse but the course will stay open.

Niall

They are very explicit about using the term "Confirmed Cases" to not speculate.  Reality is the number of people who actually have it is far larger, especially here in the States where most are being turned away from being tested.

Kalen

I know of no one who has been tested other than famous people in the papers. The advice here is if you show systems then basically stay indoors and self-isolate. It is only if you are seriously ill then do you go to hospital and get tested but what does that tell you about how many are actually infected but not showing symptoms ?

They are basically working on the herd immunity theory so as I type this I'm working in an open plan office of about 30 people and as yet no one has self-isolated. Statistically one or more of us will be infected I'd have thought. Anyway, time will tell.

Niall

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
Golf club in Southwest Florida. Everything closed – clubhouse, fitness center, restaurants, etc. Starting Sunday golf course is private cart or walking only.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »
My home course (Whispering Woods) shut down until further notice (the end of March at least). We've actually been getting out to play a fair amount for early March. The gates will be locked, too, and so nobody is even supposed to walk the course. It may not stop some, but it will stop me, as I'm not keen on breaking rules let alone laws.

I believe most every other course in the area is officially "closed" too, given Governor Wolf's mandate that non-essential businesses close, but that won't stop some from "taking a walk" on land where they pay membership dues.

I'm encouraged by some news about vaccines and treatment options, but I also think they're over-stated, and even if a vaccine became available today, it might still take many, many months to be widely available.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2020, 02:50:45 PM »
Anyone like to comment on the insurance situation and implications regarding compensation claims etc for when facilities are shut down ..... pay-n-play owners, member owned Clubs, operators, employee's, pro's, franchise workers, members, customers  etc?
atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »
Anyone like to comment on the insurance situation and implications regarding compensation claims etc for when facilities are shut down ..... pay-n-play owners, member owned Clubs, operators, employee's, pro's, franchise workers, members, customers  etc?
atb

Insurance companies are going to have much bigger liabilities on their books shortly than business interruption insurance.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2020, 03:41:15 PM »
atb
Insurance companies are going to have much bigger liabilities on their books shortly than business interruption insurance.
:)
atb

Craig Disher

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2020, 03:51:00 PM »
Chechessee Creek Club just posted a long list of restrictions that will allow the course to remain open - limited clubhouse access, take-out food only, no bag storage or handling by staff, single carts only but walking encouraged, no caddies, several future events cancelled.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2020, 04:10:10 PM »
My son's club in Dallas is closed until further notice.  Mine some 25 miles north is fully open.  Adding to the gloom are dark skies and several inches of rain over the past few days with many more expected over the next week.

We were on a bucket list trip on Friday to NZ and Aus, making it as far as LAX before being turned back shortly before midnight.  At least we remain healthy.  Who knew a month ago where we would be today?

My bet is that when this is all said and done, COVID19 will have a considerably lower impact medically than the swine flu but with a high multiple on the economy.

From Becker's Hospital Review, 3/12/2020:

Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. Globally, an estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from swine flu in the first year of the pandemic.

For reference, the COVID-19 pandemic has sickened 1,323 Americans and killed 38, as of March 12. More than 127,00 cases and 4,700 deaths have been reported globally.

David_Tepper

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2020, 04:13:56 PM »
The French Open tennis, which was scheduled to run May 24 to June 7, has been postponed till September.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/28916435/french-open-postponed-coronavirus-played-sept-20-oct-4

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. Globally, an estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from swine flu in the first year of the pandemic.

For reference, the COVID-19 pandemic has sickened 1,323 Americans and killed 38, as of March 12. More than 127,00 cases and 4,700 deaths have been reported globally.
Problem is, swine flu is done. Covid-19 has not even started.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2020, 05:48:54 PM »
Ulrich- really?  Seems like I read somewhere that a Chinese dr. reported it back in December and the virus had probably infected people even before.  Regardless, let's place a nice bottle of red wine on the U.S. over and under (I am taking the under), conditioned that both parties have to be around for a pay-off (I am in the high risk category).   I remain optimistic.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
Lou, if you are right I would be the happiest person in the world. But they're telling us that two thirds of the population are going to get it, so even with a miniscule mortality rate the death toll would be enormous. Let's hope and pray that either a vaccine or an error in the calculations can be found.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2020, 08:27:57 PM »
The current mortality rate worldwide for Covid-19 is approx 4%.

H1N1 aka Swine Flu death rate was about .02% in the US.

As it stands now that's a 200x differential, but hopefully that gets better sooner than later.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
Lou - I'm sorry to read that such a great/bucket list trip was cancelled for you. You seem to be handling the disappointment and dismay much better than I would be.   

As others have noted on other threads, I'm glad that there's someone of the quality of Dr. Fauci is in charge -- and I'm going to keep listening to him and him alone. The amount of well-meaning but incomplete or out-dated or agenda-driven or flat-out wrong 'information' out there -- and on here -- is proving to be my biggest stumbling black to handling this calmly and responsibly.

James Brown

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2020, 10:36:57 PM »
Lou, if you are right I would be the happiest person in the world. But they're telling us that two thirds of the population are going to get it, so even with a miniscule mortality rate the death toll would be enormous. Let's hope and pray that either a vaccine or an error in the calculations can be found.

Ulrich

The infection rate on the cruise ships was 20 percent and that is the worst possible environment for spreading this disease.

The current infection rate in the USA is 20 per million people.  In Italy, it is 521 per million.  Across the whole planet, the infection rate is 25.5 per million.  All these numbers are still rising. 

We are some unknown distance from the peak, but today’s reported infection were initiated 7-10 days ago before all of our social distancing really began.  And the most recent measures with school closings and business shutdowns are only in place this week.   So, if those measures are working, we will see a flattening of the infection rate in the US starting in the next week to 10 days.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2020, 10:41:09 PM »
We are some unknown distance from the peak, but today’s reported infection were initiated 7-10 days ago before all of our social distancing really began.  And the most recent measures with school closings and business shutdowns are only in place this week.   So, if those measures are working, we will see a flattening of the infection rate in the US starting in the next week to 10 days.
I think it's going to take more than the somewhat light measures we've taken to really see much against an exponential increase. Plus, we still don't have a lot of test kits, as I understand things, so as testing increases, the number of confirmed cases will continue to increase, too.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

MCirba

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »
Lou - I'm sorry to read that such a great/bucket list trip was cancelled for you. You seem to be handling the disappointment and dismay much better than I would be.   

As others have noted on other threads, I'm glad that there's someone of the quality of Dr. Fauci is in charge -- and I'm going to keep listening to him and him alone. The amount of well-meaning but incomplete or out-dated or agenda-driven or flat-out wrong 'information' out there -- and on here -- is proving to be my biggest stumbling black to handling this calmly and responsibly.

Yep.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

James Brown

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2020, 11:39:14 PM »
I think it's going to take more than the somewhat light measures we've taken to really see much against an exponential increase. Plus, we still don't have a lot of test kits, as I understand things, so as testing increases, the number of confirmed cases will continue to increase, too.

The most important factor influencing the spread is the self-quarantine.  Anyone with any kind of cold symptoms needs to self-quarantine, along with anyone in their house hold.  In the early days in China, they went door to door and administered a 10-second test to see if people could hold their breath for ten seconds without coughing.  If you passed fine, if not you were quarantined. 

And luckily, our club’s clubhouse is closed but the golf course is still open for walking.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »
The most important factor influencing the spread is the self-quarantine.  Anyone with any kind of cold symptoms needs to self-quarantine, along with anyone in their house hold.  In the early days in China, they went door to door and administered a 10-second test to see if people could hold their breath for ten seconds without coughing.  If you passed fine, if not you were quarantined.
Not everyone with the virus has symptoms, and more that do are incredibly mild. I'm simply saying that the relatively light measures we've taken won't do much to fight against exponential increases.

One thing the U.S. has going for it is that we're often not quite as densely packed as parts of China, Italy, etc. from what I've read, except in some places (NYC, San Francisco, etc.). One thing we have going against us in the U.S. is that we aren't used to and won't stand for some of the more extreme measures like those taken by China.

More testing, too, will result in many more positive confirmed tests. WV currently has no confirmed cases, but I believe that's because they haven't really had many tests. Someone in the state (probably many) almost surely have the virus.

P.S. The best map I've found: https://www.healthmap.org/covid-19/
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Pat Burke

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:11 AM »
Ten+ years ago I had a lot of faith in
A) American people don’t want to give up their own interests
And
B) when it comes to crunch time, we tend to come together and get shit done for each other

I hope this day and age we can do the same

I pray everyone , friends and family do well in this whether it’s health related or work/job

Lets do this right!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2020, 02:51:15 AM »
All Denver city courses are shut as well as Pinehurst CC. My brother is the assistant pro there and is currently furloughed.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2020, 03:24:49 AM »
One more indicator...it has been about 65 hours since Tom first posted te comment starting this one...and tis comment of mine is #96!!!!!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2020, 04:19:36 AM »
Ulrich- really?  Seems like I read somewhere that a Chinese dr. reported it back in December and the virus had probably infected people even before.  Regardless, let's place a nice bottle of red wine on the U.S. over and under (I am taking the under), conditioned that both parties have to be around for a pay-off (I am in the high risk category).   I remain optimistic.

Lou,

there were doctors in China reporting it as far back as last summer. They were hushed up and one was even taken in to custody for not stopping. This is why I am very sceptical about the infection rates/numbers now coming out of China.

All in all too little pro-active action and to much waiting to react. We need our politicians to get ahead of the game.

Jon

Joe Bausch

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2020, 04:55:39 AM »

Peter, in 2016 my university awarded Dr. Fauci the Mendel Medal.  Here is his presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl60irlQFGk
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kalen Braley

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2020, 11:20:47 AM »
Just had a big quake here in Utah.  I guess the big man isn't happy about something between that and the Covid stuff going on..  ;D

P.S.  I was in the big quake in Cali in 89 near San Fran, and this one felt similar, it really shook the house.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back