News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Macqueen

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
Jon, I wouldn't advertise yer "truckload of loo rolls" if any Aussies are in close proximity. I have never seen so many rolls in one supermarket trolley in my life. Apparently some idiot was trying to get a refund on their excessive purchase from Woolies after realising they had over-egged their purchase!
Hope your enterprise gets through this and can be sustained.
Cheers Colin 
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 08:08:22 AM »
None touching of surfaces is now important.
Seems like this might be a good opportunity to get rid forever of bunker rakes and probably quite a bit of unnecessary on-course furniture too.
Atb

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
The golf course may be one of the only safe spaces left, of course with proper distancing and hygiene.  In any case, I'm running with that.

I played yesterday walking 18 holes in 55 degree (F) sunny weather and thought about how lucky we are to have this game.

Stay safe, friends.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
The golf course may be one of the only safe spaces left, of course with proper distancing and hygiene.  In any case, I'm running with that.

I played yesterday walking 18 holes in 55 degree (F) sunny weather and thought about how lucky we are to have this game.

Stay safe, friends.

Lucky cart paths, too.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »

Walking is recommended; however, individual carts are suggested. Social distancing should be observed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/can-you-play-golf-amid-coronavirus-concerns-with-proper-precautions-yes
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
Isn't it about time for resorts and private clubs with caddies to address this situation?

jeffwarne

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »
Isn't it about time for resorts and private clubs with caddies to address this situation?

Just sent an email to MET Clubs and leaders re recommendation/precedents.
My guess is they will be obsolete in a week

Also ordered 10 pullcarts
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 11:15:00 AM »
I would suggest you implement some form of an adopt a caddie program as benefits for independent contractors are tougher to define for the government. I would be shocked if your members wouldn't pay the same for a pull cart that they pay for a caddie if they knew the proceeds would help sustain the program.

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
I would suggest you implement some form of an adopt a caddie program as benefits for independent contractors are tougher to define for the government. I would be shocked if your members wouldn't pay the same for a pull cart that they pay for a caddie if they knew the proceeds would help sustain the program.

Way ahead of you..
I'd guess "the govenment" never heard of many "independent contractors"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Policano

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
Spoke to two clubs yesterday about “Adopt the Caddie Program”. Suggested a voluntary member contribution program run by a few members for at least a month.

I am looking for best practices that other clubs are considering/using.

Cheers

Sandy Smith

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
My club will be closing the clubhouse by the end of today. All the other clubs are doing the same. Whistler ski resort has shutdown as well as the local mountains. This must be a huge financial hit with perfect conditions and spring break days away. Tennis and sports clubs in the area closed a couple of days ago. I predict once one golf club closes its course the others will follow.
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »
Langdon Farms (Cupp/Fought), a public course in the Portland metro area, has this on their website, very customer friendly

UPDATE – COVID-19 Coronavirus update

Langdon Farms Golf Club remains committed to being a leader in the community by maintaining a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and helping our customers to do the same. As such we continue monitoring the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak and implementing practices according to the CDC guidelines.
The nature of golf with only a small group playing together in an outdoor activity greatly minimizes exposure. Despite the low chance for exposure, our staff will be wearing gloves when needed and have been instructed to wash and sanitize their hands after every potential encounter. The cart staff are washing down all carts after each use and using disinfectant on steering wheels, dashboards, and switches. Indoor surfaces and all door handles will be wiped with disinfectant regularly throughout the day. Our Servers and Golf Shop staff have been instructed to use sanitizer on commonly touched surfaces between transactions.
We appreciate the trust that you place in the Langdon Farms staff. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and take actions necessary to help keep our employees and customers safe while providing the exemplary services you expect from us.
Sincerely,
David Stead
 General Manager
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:38:38 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2020, 05:15:22 PM »
Jon and Adrian good luck over the next couple of months, I sincerely hope you can keep your heads above the parapet. There will be some good clubs suffering this year.

In East Kent we hope if the Open is cancelled everyone is moved back a year and we host it in 2021 with the 150 going to St Andrews in 2022. The Open is worth around £100m to Kent over 10 years, that’s a serious loss to any economy.
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:14 PM »
My club in the SF area is still open for play (recent heavy rain has put a timely damper on demand), but no carts are allowed (push carts ok) and we have shut down many other club activities/services.

Of course, things are very fluid so the above can change.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Alex Miller

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »
Here in LA my club has shut the locker room, gym, dining, and golf shop with the course remaining open to members only with no formal staff. No gatherings, no shared equipment or carts of any kind - I think this is the right call. Golf where you bring your own equipment and don't go indoors is the only way to responsibly create an environment to facilitate play in this environment, and yes being a private club that doesn't have to handle any physical transactions makes this possible and is a blessing.

My only concern is the flagstick - guess I'm a pin-in guy now. I think for public courses to stay open they'd need limited staff wearing gloves for handling credit cards / cash. At least dues to the private club will continue to largely support staff during this time, but the caddies are out of luck and it's unfortunate that there's no good solution for that.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »

I inquired of a handful of the clubs I've regualrly worked...

Many if not all of courses in the Westchester are standing down for 3 weeks and then re-assessing...this ranges from the spartan (anyone [member or staff] visiting the property without authorization will be treated as a trespasser, subject to discipline) to the regularly cautious (course open, no services).  Indoor/winter/first spring teaching is mostly stopped and one close friend pro told me there won't be a range/practice facility open by the end of this week. (We were actually going to practice together today, but we had/have nowhere to go).

Also, MET/PGA/USGA/manufacturers seminars are/will be suspended.

***In context, the densely-populated area I'm referencing includes New Rochelle, a specfic community under state restriction as of last Monday, which is surrounded by like 10 courses immediately in or on its boundaries (WF, Quaker, Wykagyl, Pelham CC, Pelham Split Rock, Siwanoy, Hampshire, Bonnie Briar, Lake Islve and Leewood)

Most of these are re-assessing the week of April 6, but circumferential talk is not to expect anything fully "open" until week of Mon April 27, subject to events and conditions.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Carl Rogers

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »
Ditto the flagstick comment.  Watch out for the ball washers and the water jugs!
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 07:39:51 PM »
Jon and Adrian good luck over the next couple of months, I sincerely hope you can keep your heads above the parapet. There will be some good clubs suffering this year.
This.  The game (and that's what it is, a game) aside, there are people in the golf "industry" just like every other, whose businesses will have a very hard few months ahead.  To all those here whose businesses will be most directly affected, good luck, my thoughts are with you.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2020, 08:04:35 PM »

In East Kent we hope if the Open is cancelled everyone is moved back a year and we host it in 2021 with the 150 going to St Andrews in 2022. The Open is worth around £100m to Kent over 10 years, that’s a serious loss to any economy.

Noooo-say it ain't so.
4 months ago I miraculously scored a Air bnb perfectly situated in Deal at normal season rates, with eveything around it crazily priced due to the Open (maybe they had a crystal ball...)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2020, 02:23:27 AM »
As you arrive at the course don two gloves ala Tommy Gainey. Keep them on until you leave. Disinfect. Repeat.

The Oregon Golf Association cancelled all their March events, such as tournaments, seminars

David Davis

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2020, 06:45:40 AM »
Gents,

I'm afraid what we experienced in Europe this weekend might be headed your way.

Almost every country passed immediate CV ruling that all Golf Clubs be shut down completely. In The Netherlands, where I live they have apparently also instilled a 10,000 euro fine if you are caught breaking this order. That means, all gates locked, no trespassing period.

I echo the statements from others and even the Golf Digest article that said golf is safe if people practice social distancing. In the big picture it's not important but I'm not talking about the big picture, only the golf aspect of it that's relatively important to us.

Wouldn't you know it, today is beautiful and the sun is out, first day in a while here in NL. No golf, no driving range and I fear the US and the UK are not far behind. Bare down guys...don't shoot the messenger.

Stay safe.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Mark_Fine

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2020, 07:37:09 AM »
A golfing buddy in Austria just told me all golf courses are closed over there.  They are in lockdown mode.  Can only leave your home for limited reasons.  Beyond unprecedented times  :o :(

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2020, 08:32:39 AM »
There is a reason why when we see a long lost friend at a funeral we don't ask them to dance.

David Federman

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2020, 09:20:49 AM »
Played yesterday afternoon at Downingtown (a really nice George Fazio design now owned by Ron Jaworski near Philly). Sunday afternoon round in just under 4 hours. Never got closer than the requisite 6 feet or so to anyone else, even on the greens. Course was in great shape, lots of players, but not crowded. No food or beverage service - which was fine. In my opinion, much better than walking on a crowded trail.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »

Mark C,

thanks for the kind comments. One of the things I am currently doing is putting up just short of 2 miles of perimeter fencing in readiness for grazing sheep on the course. This will bring in some much needed income to help bridge the gap and reduce the need to mow as much. One big positive for an operation like mine is I could reduce the maintenance down to just mowing tees, greens and collar and leave the sheep to do the rest. I am still planning to open over Easter Weekend but suspect it will not happen.

I think for many other clubs it will need the government to help out or the membership to make a massive effort.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back