News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« on: March 14, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »
I received this from Vail about their ski operations.
  • We are reducing operations at our on-mountain, quick-serve dining facilities to avoid crowding. We will have limited pre-packaged food options available, but we will not be serving hot food. Please plan accordingly.
  • We will ask guests to ride on chairlifts and gondolas with their parties only. We ask for our guests’ patience while we implement this new protocol.

Are any golf courses changing their protocols: ie food and beverage, cart usage?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:24:39 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 11:50:47 AM »
At a Member-Member I'm playing in  early April they are eliminating group lunches and dinners associated with event but planning to play event.
As of now...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:17:13 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »
Not sure about golf courses but ski resorts have just shut-up shop for the season around Europe with immediate effect.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »

Here in south Florida our club has shut down all dining events.  The outdoor tiki bar remains open.  All golf events are cancelled. All activities like poker night are cancelled.  All classes in fitness centre are cancelled. The golf courses are open and carts are in use.  I've seen some people wiping down the carts with sanitary wipes.  They've suspended work on getting Master Plan approved due to financial uncertainty. Many of the members are in the high risk age group.

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 12:51:46 PM »
At our Chicago area club we have temporarily suspended use of our simulator while we consider what steps to take.  Food service and hopefully golf were scheduled to resume in a couple of weeks.  We are considering what to do; likely some delay.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 12:56:19 PM »
I'm currently caught up in a situation where I can't return home so I went to a local club to buy some clothes. They were setting up for a large wedding. What a mess.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »
Here in " The Valley of the Sun," our 2 courses remain open; however, all usual play for men's and women's clubs shotgun starts in mornings and afternoons on Tuesdays and Thursdays will not take place. Tee times only until April 1 . All events in clubhouse will be cancelled. The fitness center will be closed. All restaurants will be closed; however, orders for take out are available.

Everything will be reevaluated April 1.

Our third course is undergoing  renovation and construction will continue unless contractor's employees are not available.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:13:24 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
My course remains open (in PDX) with normal operations, but the restaurant/bar is closed until Monday for a deep clean.
I play in an itinerant Tuesday group which was supposed to play a private club this coming Tuesday. We were cancelled because our group was too large (28) too avoid a large congregation. Our members could have adjusted, but I think it was because some of our players are too slow and they see this as an opportunity to axe us.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 01:56:19 PM »
Least of our problems, but in UK terms this is likely to have significant impact on Clubs.

Winter has been terrible and this has cropped up during the annual renewal period for most.

Combined with likely impact on F&B, not to mention staffing, cash flow is likely to be precarious for the many Clubs running hand to mouth via bank overdrafts.

Lots of SME’s won’t recover from this including plenty of golf clubs.

But, fresh air, exercise, people can’t stay home for ever, the golf club is as safe a place as any to get out of the house.

The UK approach makes perfect sense to me, but is at odds with every other country.

It’s said that Boris most admires the bloke who kept the beaches open in JAWS...

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »
Played today in Waterbury, Connecticut with no restrictions.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 03:58:30 PM »
Nothing out of the ordinary here (as of right now; things seem to change three times a day though). Playing golf might be one of the few activities we can do while we're otherwise "socially distancing" ourselves.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »
I know of courses in Montgomery and Delaware County, PA (where the governor shut down schools, public meeting places, etc. and advised against retail stores staying open (now all schools in PA are closed)) that have kept the course open with walking only but shut down the clubhouse.  Other clubs in those counties and surrounding are business as usual, with some type of modified clubhouse setting, "enhanced" cleaning procedures, etc.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
Duke Univ. has closed their course through the coming week for "maintenance and planning" before they reopen next Friday.
I played this morning at UNC-Finley, with no real restrictions.  We got an email earlier in the week with general, common sense guidelines; the only significant change today was that the credit card terminals for non-members had been moved to the top of the counter so that the staff wasn't handling customer's cards. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jim Lipstate

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 05:57:16 PM »
Our club in Louisiana is open and the tee sheets are very full likely because everything else is pretty much shut down. This might turn out to be a good thing for golf as it is played outdoors and only in small groups. Our club restaurant and bar remain open but with precautions such as no table bar mix, chips or popcorn.

Stay well.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
Last orders, please.

For those who don't know their Hitchhiker: this is the time to play your final rounds. Make it count, too. I played Fontainebleau yesterday.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 06:24:32 PM »

In Melbourne:No guests at Metropolitan. No cash either.
Royal Melbourne and The National - no removing the flagstick.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 06:54:06 PM »
Good or bad golf architecture just became about 0.001% important.

The virus has totally fuc**d anyone thinking of investing in golf.

The virus has shown the fragility of the world....almost everyone wishes they could just cash their chips in.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
Last orders, please.

For those who don't know their Hitchhiker: this is the time to play your final rounds. Make it count, too. I played Fontainebleau yesterday.

Lol!

Last time the apocalypse was going to come I was planning on playing back and forth between NGLA and Shinny until the lights went out. However Sand Hills might be the safest place in the USA these days, at least until a bunch of golf nerds bring the virus to Mullen.

Pat Burke

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 07:37:05 PM »
Curious.  From my anxiety riddled brain, I’m pretty much shutting myself down other than some lessons on the range. At 57yo with some history of bronchial infections I’m likely very over protective of my wife and I. Seriously, my anxiety issues do not help but so be it

Saying that, are the architects, contractors and workers involved comfortable with working their projects given the unknown??

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 07:58:21 PM »
San Francisco GC has supposedly shut down for 30 days.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 08:06:13 PM »
No buffets at our place.

If you want food from the club but don’t want to come inside, they will deliver it to you at the front door .
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »
Back to Vail, they just closed all 37 resorts and stores until March 22 when they will reassess.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 10:24:47 PM »
Good or bad golf architecture just became about 0.001% important.

The virus has totally fuc**d anyone thinking of investing in golf.

The virus has shown the fragility of the world....almost everyone wishes they could just cash their chips in.

The virus appears to be especially dangerous to the over 60s - exactly the demographic which makes up the majority of golf club members.

After the wettest winter on record has left many courses unplayable quagmires for three months, most UK clubs are now sending out their annual membership renewal notices - with hefty subs increases. At exactly the same time a virus threatens to decimate their core market!

It will only take a relatively small number of members deciding against renewal (or dying) to tip many clubs over the edge...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:32:14 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Daryl David

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 11:14:22 PM »
Almost all clubs in the Coachella Valley have restrictions like no guests, no tournaments and no social gatherings. One high end residential club closed yesterday for the next 14 days as a precaution. All employees sent home. All areas of club closed.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2020, 04:28:38 AM »

This is definitely a bad situation for many UK clubs. I am very sceptical of keeping golfing operations going over this spring. It will be an absolute minimum maintenance regime and look for other ways to plug the financial gap though I am not optimistic. Suspect that Italy has already gone over the edge with its economy and if others go into lockdown it won't be the last.

Thank god I bought that truck load of loo roll  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back