News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #975 on: June 23, 2020, 09:03:47 PM »
After three months of closures and restrictions I played atArrowhead GC in Molalla, OR, which is about 25 miles from the protests in Portland AND in a different county.  Power carts were available, and could be shared without restriction.  Flagsticks could be pulled, and the cups had no blocking mechanisms. Rakes were next to bunkers. I got tagged for a 2 stroke penalty when a shot into a bunker ended up in a deep footprint. Took relief under the nonvalid COVID rule.  If I had been alert I could have declared it unplayable for only one shot.

First time my scorecard showed a high school cheer   - -   2,4,6,8 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:18:04 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Daryl David

« Reply #976 on: June 24, 2020, 10:44:02 AM »
Given the resurgence of the virus in many parts of the US, are any courses reinstating any of the earlier restrictions?  Any governments considering closing them again?

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #977 on: June 25, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
Not here in Myrtle Beach-now a "hotspot" for reasons other than golf and (now defunct) strip clubs.Two-three months ago most courses were single rider only in carts. Locals were ecstatic with the 3/3.5 hours we had forgotten were possible.Courses have been very determined to put that genie back in the bottle as of late. When making tee times the last 14 days, each course has made a point of saying, "You will share a cart and be paired with another twosome."
Just an aside FYI: in the ten years I've lived/golfed here, not ONCE have I been asked if I will be walking or riding.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #978 on: June 25, 2020, 12:11:49 PM »
At my home club, one of our employees tested positive for Covid-19. The clubhouse is closed for two days of deep cleaning but golf is available, one person to a cart.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #979 on: June 25, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
Not here in Myrtle Beach-now a "hotspot" for reasons other than golf and (now defunct) strip clubs.Two-three months ago most courses were single rider only in carts. Locals were ecstatic with the 3/3.5 hours we had forgotten were possible.Courses have been very determined to put that genie back in the bottle as of late. When making tee times the last 14 days, each course has made a point of saying, "You will share a cart and be paired with another twosome."
Just an aside FYI: in the ten years I've lived/golfed here, not ONCE have I been asked if I will be walking or riding.

So they were single riders when there very few cases...
and now with the pandemic resurging in the south and South Carolina they go two to a cart...
perfect

There will be some unflattering books and history written about our country regarding the last 5 months and perhaps the near future
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #980 on: June 25, 2020, 03:51:38 PM »
That won’t matter if the generation who reads is dead. Books...hilarious.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #981 on: June 25, 2020, 04:02:43 PM »
Crystal Downs has taken the very conservative approach of outlawing all guest play until further notice. 

Members are allowed to play with other members - which increases the risk to members, but not to staff.

If this stays in effect, I've got a great out for the line of guys who would hit me up to play there before/after the Midwest Mashie   ;)

Tim Martin

« Reply #982 on: June 25, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
Crystal Downs has taken the very conservative approach of outlawing all guest play until further notice. 

Members are allowed to play with other members - which increases the risk to members, but not to staff.

If this stays in effect, I've got a great out for the line of guys who would hit me up to play there before/after the Midwest Mashie   ;)

There are different variations depending on the club. I’ve see guest play get added but no unaccompanied play. Additionally I have seen some clubs go with what Tom described above leaving it as members only. Finally there are a myriad of walking/trolley/cart and caddie restrictions in place and subject to change depending on the area and whether there has been a recent surge in cases. You need to do your due diligence on that front if you want or need a cart.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #983 on: June 25, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »

and now with the pandemic resurging in the south and South Carolina they go two to a cart...
perfect

There will be some unflattering books and history written about our country regarding the last 5 months and perhaps the near future

My son lives in Charlestown as does my sister. No one down there has been wearing masks. My son played at Wild Dunes over a month ago and they were putting two in a cart then. 7 of his friends that live in his complex have the virus. South Carolina never took it serious.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #984 on: June 25, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »
 South Carolina never took it serious.
Correct. The golf course was/is the safest place here. I would venture to say I've never seen more than 20 percent of shoppers masked in any store since this started.
Just read that North Carolina courses will require a mask when entering the clubhouse/pro shop beginning Saturday.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #985 on: June 26, 2020, 07:04:28 AM »

perfect

I'm seeing the same thing in NC, and I am dismayed by it.  A number of courses have returned to two riders that aren't part of the same household, and I don't really understand either side of that equation.  I've played in several local senior tournaments; I see guys riding together instead of paying extra for a solo cart or walking. 

A month ago, the tournaments were all done via tee times, with either solo carts or walking; on Monday, I'm playing in one where we'll go back to a shotgun start and two in a cart.  I'm walking that one, too; I've made a promise to myself that if I get to a course where I have to ride with somebody to play, I'll pack it up and go home.  I don't understand the thinking of the courses, and I REALLY don't understand the thinking of the golfers.
And I'm skipping my 30 year plus Myrtle Beach week with my wife's family next month, which has always been golf every day for me.  I can't wrap my head around sharing a beach cottage, even with my in-laws, much less showing up at a golf course and riding around with people I don't know.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

« Reply #986 on: June 26, 2020, 07:38:46 AM »
The buzz in and around Connecticut for the Travelers Championship this week is almost nil. The biggest story is the withdrawal of both Koepka brothers, Graeme McDowell, Webb Simpson and Cameron Champ because of coronavirus concerns.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #987 on: June 26, 2020, 07:51:52 AM »
I don't understand the thinking of the courses, and I REALLY don't understand the thinking of the golfers.

A.G., we both know their thinking unfortunately. As an example, on the cusp of (officially/unofficially-who really knows) returning to shared carts, the staff at the Legends asked if my partner and I would like to ride separately. We said yes but were told, "Okay, but we should put you together. We've been running out of carts."

JLahrman

« Reply #988 on: June 26, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »
I don't understand the thinking of the courses, and I REALLY don't understand the thinking of the golfers.

Basic issue is that we are a nation of 300 million little children.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #989 on: June 26, 2020, 09:23:05 AM »
We are installing the remote temperature detectors that reads everyones temperature at different locations across the property. Anyone over 100.4 will be asked to vacate the premises.

Scott Senior

« Reply #990 on: June 26, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »
Temperatures being taken for anyone entering the property.
Rakes have been removed from the bunkers for the remainder of the season. (New Jersey)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #991 on: June 26, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
Temperatures being taken for anyone entering the property.
Rakes have been removed from the bunkers for the remainder of the season. (New Jersey)

At my club in Upstate NY we are back to normal on the course. Rakes in bunkers, two riders to a cart, and you can take the pin out. District tournaments no rakes and you can’t remove the pins.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #992 on: June 26, 2020, 12:00:55 PM »
A couple of Tylenols can beat a thermometer. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #993 on: June 26, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »
I'm curious if after playing 18 holes in 100 deg Florida heat if my temperature will be higher than when I teed off in the morning. Probably not. It's been three hat hot down here for a month.

Michael Blake

« Reply #994 on: June 26, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »

I'm loving the single cart for each golfer rule.  It's impossible to play a faster round of golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #995 on: June 26, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »

I'm loving the single cart for each golfer rule.  It's impossible to play a faster round of golf.

The great unwashed truth.

Tim Martin

« Reply #996 on: June 26, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »

The great unwashed truth.

It really changes the dynamic of looking for balls. When your cart partner hits it three fairways over its most likely you will be taking the ride with him. It’s a new day in your own cart!

SL_Solow

« Reply #997 on: June 26, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »
Illinois reached it phase 4 today.  Caddies allowed with social distancing.  Inconsistently, 2 to a cart was approved.  Our club decided to retain the 1 to a cart rule.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2020, 09:19:14 PM »

I have walked two tournament rounds playing with three guys in individual carts.  It wasn't much fun for me, and I walk fast.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Leahy

« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2020, 11:45:11 PM »

Basic issue is that we are a nation of 300 million little children.
Actually 62,984,828 morons in the USA voted for comrade Trumpsky in the last election and are still acting like little children. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back