News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Winter Tour 2019-20: EAST DEVON GC New
« on: February 06, 2020, 05:44:21 AM »

Situated between the Exe and Sid rivers, Budleigh Salterton is home to East Devon GC.  Reaching a height over 400 feet, this hilly moorland course is unusual in that it enjoys striking views across Devon and Lyme Bay.  It is no surprise the land is designated the East Devon Area of Natural Beauty.  While both Fowler and Braid had a say in the evolution of the course, the club attributes much of the design to Colt’s 1920’s work.  Much the same story as many turn of the 19th century courses, the course was once far more open than is now the case.  The club seems to have recognized there are many views on offer which are now closed off and that the general ambience of the course would be greatly enhanced by tree and gorse clearance.  From this layman’s PoV, it is clear the bunkers could do with some attention.  Frank Pont was engaged a year or so ago and some work has been conducted.  Although, it isn’t clear to me what the long term plan will be, especially since some of the Colt work can’t be restored due to cliff erosion.

The opening two holes strike me as a pleasant way to start a game.  Not overly long, but with heather about anything can happen to one's score.  Many of the fairways are very attractive in the main because heather is allowed to creep unevenly into the short grass.

There is a handful of highly interesting greens of which the second is perhaps the best.

The difficulty jumps a few notches on the severely uphill 3rd.  Many will notice the width of this hole.  There are a handful of holes with similar width.  In the damp conditions of this winter this space may seem like overkill, but a few members stated that the course needs the width in summer conditons. 

This is the first time I have played to some temps in a quite a while!  To be fair, it was only a few greens which needed the rest.  Being a quiet day I suspect the club was in play it safe mode. 

4 through 7 is an inexplicably uninteresting section of the course.  I am likely jaundiced by the wetter conditions in this section of the property, but I did find the holes lacking the enjoyment factor.  However, I did like the heather eating into the fairway on the long downhill 6th.  This feature makes for a tough decision if one can reach the green in two. The 7th would also be better if not for the forboding trees encasing the hole.  Below is a look at the 6th.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 03:34:59 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Winter Tour 2019-20: EAST DEVON GC 1-7
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:55:52 AM »
Looking forward to this.

Played several years ago at Easter and the course was in good nick.  I thought the first two greens in particular had the whiff of Braid about them. The first is simple but with a strong tilt and from memory the second appears to have 4 'quarters' - a feature I've mentioned on here before but only ever seen on courses where Braid worked. e.g Shanklin & Sandown and Hankley.

Overall I though this course fit into the 'hidden gem' cliche, quite nicely.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 08:06:41 AM »
Agreed that the heather eating into the fairways in spots seems attractive. It makes for an interesting hazard if it doesn't get too long. Looking forward to the rest of this tour.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »
I've been wanting to get there. Thanks Sean.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:03:25 PM »

Played several years ago at Easter and the course was in good nick.  I thought the first two greens in particular had the whiff of Braid about them. The first is simple but with a strong tilt and from memory the second appears to have 4 'quarters' - a feature I've mentioned on here before but only ever seen on courses where Braid worked. e.g Shanklin & Sandown and Hankley.

Tony

I have to say I noticed the same thing about the second but what it shouted out to me was Colt. Specifically I thought of what is now the first green on the Eden, and also an old B&W photo of Sunningdale after Colt had done his thing. I'm not sure I've seen it anywhere else quite like that although I suppose the back left quarter of the 1st green at Dornoch is similar in idea if much more pronounced. Was Colt anywhere the three courses you mention ?

Sean - many thanks for another great tour.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:41:29 PM »
Ref EDGC's 2nd green ........ when I looked over the hedge between EDGC's Clubhouse and the 2nd green and spotted the raised rear quartered green I was immediately reminded of this photo, which I've read is of a green (by Simpson not Colt) at Camberley Heath that has subsequently be changed.

atb

PS - here's a now coloured old b&w photo of East Devon taken from what I believe to be the location of the present 16th tee.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:43:42 PM by Thomas Dai »

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 05:18:13 AM »
EAST DEVON TOUR CONT

Eight through eleven is the pudding of East Devon.  The course opens up at this point and actually feels a lot like Broadstone, another Colt course some 75 miles to the east near Bournemouth.  A long, punishing par 3 by the hand of Braid, the eighth could well have played as a bogey 4 back in the day. 

There are four severely downhill and very wide holes which I suspect are all fan favourites.  For my money the 9th is the best of the lot.   

Interesting shaping to tie in a berm with the bunker.  This sort of work doesn't strike me as Colt's.

The back nine opens with a short hole over a shallow valley.  Its fairly obvious the bunkering needs a bit of sprucing up.

One of East Devon's best holes, the 11th plays diagonally over a rugged valley.  I reckon the hole is reachable for big hitters.   Most golfers will not be able to carry the cross bunkers.

Playing over the same serpentine valley as 10 & 11, the 12th is a difficult uphill par 5.  Playing into a winter wind didn't help matters.  Although, the most interesting aspect of the hole is the terrific green whose rear right section has been somewhat altered.  Unfortunately, a few trees hang very close to the front left of the green, I suspect to knock down shots headed for the 13th tee.  In fact, the entire left and rear of the green is surrounded by rather unnecessary trees.

While all perfectly competent, the par threes as a whole aren't as good as the terrain suggests they could be.  #13.

Working steadily uphill, the legger right 14th seems like a ton of land was used for its purpose.  I wonder if the low ground on the right was better used back in the day.  With large trees blocking the right corner, there is little reason to flirt with this natural feature unless one is a high hitting flat belly, in which case the low ground doesn't come anywhere near into play. 

Once on high ground with fewer trees inhibiting views, the many boozer loops on offer become more apparent. 

1&2
3-11 with a walk back to the house
3-8 then hop to 15
10-18 with a walk to 10th
10 -14 then hop back on 9
12-18 with a walk to the 12th

Also turning right and playing uphill, the 15th is a sub 300 yard par 4 and plays to a tightly guarded green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:54:58 AM by Sean_A »

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Winter Tour 2019-20: EAST DEVON GC 1-15
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
Sean

If I ever open my own golf course, I'm going to call it 'Boozers' Loop', in your honour.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 08:25:11 AM »

Tony

I have to say I noticed the same thing about the second but what it shouted out to me was Colt. Specifically I thought of what is now the first green on the Eden, and also an old B&W photo of Sunningdale after Colt had done his thing. I'm not sure I've seen it anywhere else quite like that although I suppose the back left quarter of the 1st green at Dornoch is similar in idea if much more pronounced. Was Colt anywhere the three courses you mention ?

Sean - many thanks for another great tour.

Niall

Here's the earlier, equally unresolved thread.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44157.msg961237/topicseen.html#msg961237

The only tow where Colt and Braid didnt work at some point are Shanklin and Sandown and Pennard. Both Briad.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 07:27:42 AM »
The bunker in the berm on 9 doesn't seem to be very relevant either. Love the look of the hole otherwise.

The club has a really nice website for anyone craving additional photos. Some terrific long views.

https://www.eastdevongolfclub.co.uk/course/course-tour/hole/9/

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 08:40:44 AM »
Sean

If I ever open my own golf course, I'm going to call it 'Boozers' Loop', in your honour.

Doc

Very fine!

EAST DEVON TOUR CONT

We now must find our way back to the house well below.  16 and 17 provide this downhill push, though I must say with mixed results. On the plus side, the views from the 16th are delicious.

It seems to me the attempt to reduce the effect of the downhill grade at the green has created a drainage issue.

The penultimate hole is a bit wild.  Playing quite downhill to a fairway which is blindly cut off by a large patch of heathery rough before playing over a valley to the green doesn't strike me as a "good use of blindness".  In keen conditions I can imagine this hole is simply about walking down the hill.  Mind you, from the clubhouse, the heathery rough makes for an impressive sight.

The home hole is more conventional and plays somewhat similar to the 11th. I believe this hole is probably Braid's.

For a course I knew next to nothing about, East Devon is impressive...a hilly impressive, but impressive  8)  I can't point to any outstanding holes, but there is a fair mix with some good greens and the fairway width is generally welcome if a bit unusual these days.  The location of the course makes it difficult to include into a trip, but it is doable from the clutch of high quality courses around Bournemouth.   If one is a fan of Colt I suggest it is worth making the effort to visit East Devon.  2020

For those that do make it to East Devon, Exmouth is a town worth some time.  The two main areas of the marina and Strand Gardens centred around the War Memorial are very attractive and offer good options for watering and grazing.  We stayed in the Dolphin Hotel conveniently located between the two areas.  Certainly not plush digs, but the hotel is servicable.   

One of the top 10 great things about Britain are the many historical and cultural societies which mount plaques on the various buildings which highlight the famous and not so famous people who previously lived in the buildings.  This plaque on The Dolphin made me chuckle.

This is either the world's smallest clubroom or perhaps a lookout tower for members on the water.

The marina is fairly large and attractive.

I can recommend a fairly new restaurant of the Italian variety.  The food is quite simple as it should be.

Previous stops on the Winter Tour

Warren
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,68013.0.html

Gullane #3
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67899.0.html

Nefyn
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67656.0.html

Harlech
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33937.0.html

Tadmarton Heath
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,26579.msg497818.html#msg497818

Notts
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33988.msg1137972.html#msg1137972

Alnmouth Village
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65709.0.html

Planned Stops

Burnham & Berrow Channel
Tandridge
Kington
St Germain
Woodhall Spa
Seacroft

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 02:34:47 PM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: Winter Tour 2019-20: EAST DEVON GC
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 01:03:27 PM »
A very fine tour as ever.
Plenty of interest at EDGC but one aspect that intrigued me is the width of many of the fairways.

Much more width than is usual these days, maybe due to the severity of much of the terrain, it’s a pretty hilly walk, and how this effects play when ground conditions get firm and bouncy.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 06:03:25 AM »
ATB

I completely agree that firm, hilly, wind exposed terrain requires more width than normal, sometimes far more width. East Devon seems to understand this far more than the majority of clubs. I think most clubs would be hoping to push back growth just to have what ED does now, yet the club seems interested in pushing the boat out. If this is the case it could become a model club vegetation removal.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:27:12 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 04:30:28 AM »
Bumped for Spangles.

I am not a huge fan of the course, but with improvements who knows. As things stand now, I think I prefer Warren, on the other side of Exmouth.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 04:33:42 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back