News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Jones

Re: UK GCA Knock-Out 2020
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
Sorry Mark, I forgot to say Northern section please. Cheers

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
I have 17 entrants so far.  In no particular order: David McIntosh, Mike Whitaker, Ian Galbraith, Jon Wiggett, Michael Graham, Niall Carlton, Ari Techner (all Scotland), Tony Muldoon, Sam Krume, Adam Uttley and Robin Hiseman (South East), James Boon and Ben Stephens (Midlands), Duncan Cheslett, James Reader, David Jones and me (North).  I'm going to do the draw tomorrow, so if anyone else still wants in, today's your last chance.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 11:22:34 AM »
I have 17 entrants so far.  In no particular order: David McIntosh, Mike Whitaker, Ian Galbraith, Jon Wiggett, Michael Graham, Niall Carlton, Ari Techner (all Scotland), Tony Muldoon, Sam Krume, Adam Uttley and Robin Hiseman (South East), James Boon and Ben Stephens (Midlands), Duncan Cheslett, James Reader, David Jones and me (North).  I'm going to do the draw tomorrow, so if anyone else still wants in, today's your last chance.

The way I’ve played here at Slaley the last two days, I’m glad I haven’t entered for this year. My golf game is truly parlous and should not be subjected upon any innocent bystanders. Good luck all!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

Re: UK GCA Knock-Out 2020 - Draw at reply 28
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 04:22:09 AM »
OK, my random number generator and I have split the draw into a Scottish and an English half, and the latter into the South and the rest and produced the following draw.  There will be one preliminary ound game, in Northern England and the Midlands, which will see James Boon play Duncan Cheslett.  Then the main draw:

Jones vs Whitaker
Graham vs Wiggett
Techner vs Carlton
Galbraith vs McIntosh
Muldoon vs Hiseman
Uttley vs Krume
Pearce vs Reader
Stephens vs Boon/Cheslett

Given that most of Northern England is still under water and the smaller number of games to play this year, let's set a later deadline for those first round games (shall we say end of June) and then look to get the final played by the end of October.  So aiming for end June, end July, mid September, end October deadlines, roughly.  James/Duncan, I suspect that arranging a first round match against Ben for the winner won't be a problem, so can you aim to play that prliminary by mid May?

I promise, by the way, that this was random.  The fact we have two all East Lothian matches and both residents of God's own county are drawn together is entirely coincidental but welcome!

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: UK GCA Knock-Out 2020 - Draw at Reply 28
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 05:14:22 AM »
Muldoon benefitted from a w/o against me in the Preliminary Round last year due to my knee op, but this year i'm back...and he's going to have to play at least 10 holes of matchplay before his inevitable progression to Round 2.

Tony, I suggest Piltdown in May. What do you think?
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ben Stephens

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 06:23:08 AM »
Muldoon benefitted from a w/o against me in the Preliminary Round last year due to my knee op, but this year i'm back...and he's going to have to play at least 10 holes of matchplay before his inevitable progression to Round 2.

Spangles - BEWARE OF THE INJURED GOLFER!  8) 8)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 09:00:23 AM »

Yes indeed. 

(Thanks Ben.  PS his nickname is 'Doc'!)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2020, 02:09:26 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  And welcome aboard!

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 02:50:56 AM »
The news that I am to play James in a preliminary brought home to me just how little golf I’ve played this winter. I’m sure I’m not alone!

My training regime is now in place and I am gearing to peak for a mid May meeting with the Boonster somewhere in northern England.

Have you played Abbeydale in Sheffield, James? It’s a Fowler course that seems to fly under the radar completely. Our new course manager at Cavendish was there for years and speaks very highly of the place.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:58:30 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Niall C

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 05:00:14 AM »
To paraphrase Churchill a wee bit - never in the field of golfing conflict has google maps been used so much to pick a venue !

Ari - any thoughts as to where we could play ? There's a few 9 holers roughly mid way between us and then there is Glencruitten up in Oban that I've never played. Thoughts ?

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 05:25:14 AM »
Glencruitten is an interesting course but quite hilly.

Niall C

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 07:20:18 AM »
Jon

Shhhh, don't tell Ari any secrets. I was hoping he was going to show up with a tour bag and a full set of clubs  ;)

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »
Putting this out there to Adam and Sam.

Join Tony and I at Piltdown for your match.  We're homing in on a date between May 15 and 18 inclusive.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »

Join Tony and I at Piltdown for your match.  We're homing in on a date between May 15 and 18 inclusive.
Now this is properly in the spirit.  Interesting venue and getting GCAers together!

James,

An evening in Yorkshire some time in the late Spring?  You're far more knowledgeable than me on suitable venues, so throw some ideas into the mix.

Mark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 03:09:43 PM »

Now this is properly in the spirit.  Interesting venue and getting GCAers together!

James,

An evening in Yorkshire some time in the late Spring?  You're far more knowledgeable than me on suitable venues, so throw some ideas into the mix.

Mark

Can’t wait to see who is the Piltdown Man.

Sorry, I’ll get my coat.

8)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sam Krume

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2020, 02:28:13 AM »

Sounds good to me....

Adam Uttley

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2020, 03:52:06 AM »

Sounds good to me....

Great idea, I hope we can make that work.  I can do 15th or 17th of those dates but not the others.  Adam

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2020, 05:11:51 AM »
Tony and I have blocked out those dates, so if you (Adam & Sam) can agree between the 15th (Friday) and 17th (Sunday) we'll go with that. As i mentioned, their weekend afternoon rates are the same as weekdays, if you don't want to take time off work.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2020, 05:15:54 AM »
I am always up for 36 holes which would really make for an interesting day!

Let's make GCA grate again!

Sam Krume

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2020, 05:25:38 AM »

Sounds good to me....

Great idea, I hope we can make that work.  I can do 15th or 17th of those dates but not the others.  Adam

Take your pick on the days Adam, I'm easy, can do either 
Sam

Adam Uttley

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »

Sounds good to me....

Sam

Let’s go for Friday then.  I’m also happy for 36 holes.

Sam Krume

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 06:18:32 AM »

Sounds good to me....

Sam

Let’s go for Friday then.  I’m also happy for 36 holes.
Bingo...Friday it is then...LETS PLAY GOLF (said in the tone of a boxing announcer!!)

Ari Techner

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
To paraphrase Churchill a wee bit - never in the field of golfing conflict has google maps been used so much to pick a venue !

Ari - any thoughts as to where we could play ? There's a few 9 holers roughly mid way between us and then there is Glencruitten up in Oban that I've never played. Thoughts ?

Niall

Niall

I'm up for anything really.  You pick the venue. I don't know much about the 9 holes between us and all I know about Glencruitten is that it's an interesting course that's quite hilly and one shouldn't show up there with a Tour Bag and a full set of clubs.....

Niall C

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »
Damn and blast, see that Jon Wiggett and his big mouth..........

Ari,

Here's another thought, shall we see if we can get a four ball with another couple of contestants, and we can play both games at the same time ? Anyone else from the Scottish section interested ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back