News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

2000 Pete Dye Interview
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »
My all time favorite:

Question: What in particular do you admire about Seth Raynor’s work?

Mr. Dye:  Variety.

I bet I would have liked the man.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:04:58 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

Re: 2000 Pete Dye Interview
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »
It is a shame that we didn't get a good interview with Pete here.  He was so open about sharing his ideas, but only with certain people -- with writers he trusted, or fellow practitioners.  If you didn't speak his language, he wasn't that interested in trying to communicate.

herrstein

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
If any of you guys are interested, I posted some memories of Pete Dye on Medium here:
https://medium.com/@fdstein/pete-dye-d2429fc81c77
I was fortunate to have known him.
Hank Haney, whom I do not know, read the entire thing on his podcast, which was kind of neat.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
Pete was kind enough to do an interview with Forrest and me for our book on Hazards back in 2005.  Excerpts from that interview are included in Chapter 9.  As Tom stated, he was fascinating to talk to and very open and candid.  I learned a lot from him.  It must have been from all his architectural training as an insurance salesman  ;D

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 04:19:32 PM »
Trying to format correctly and repost.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:22:43 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »
Trying to format correctly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:22:02 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:25:39 PM by Kalen Braley »

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
I had the pleasure of interviewing Pete Dye in 2007 while he was building the new course at French Lick. He was in his early 80s and despite the interview being done over the phone (on speaker phone no less) he was charming and engaging. In the late 1980s when I was coming of age as a golfer as a 13, 14, and 15-year-old, I read every Golf Digest cover to cover within a day or two after it arrived. My first impression of him was based on his portrayal in that magazine, which covered him in one way or another in nearly every issue, as if he was the only architect in the game. He seemed to dominate that era's narrative of the PGA Tour and Dean Beman, whether it was the Player's Championship course, or the Skins Games in the desert and most especially, the run-up to the Kiawah Island Ryder Cup. After finally getting the opportunity to play a few of his courses, it was exciting to experience their specific challenges after such a build-up. I really admire his talent and gumption and would rush to play any of the best of his portfolio. I love that he clearly served his courses with spice. You could never accuse them of being boring. Having said that, I have also played some of his works that I never wanted to play a second time--and not because they were difficult. I suppose the downside of playing lots of his courses over the years is that the similarities and motifs become a little too common and predictable in a way that Raynor courses, for example, somehow didn't seem to do (at least to me). It's possible I am biased. 

Here's that 2007 interview.

What was like when you first got started in the business? 
Pete Dye: The new designs at the time were Robert Trent Jones and Dick Wilson. Jones had a definite style with the long tees and the big bunkers. He did a marvelous job. At that time, production was really needed in the United States, and by using a certain pattern, he could get all these courses built. I would say that Jones probably did more for the game of golf than anybody in the world at that time. 

Could you describe some of the courses that have inspired you? PD: I’ve always been influenced by the links courses of Ireland and Scotland, where there are so many great golf courses—I especially admire Lahinch and Cruden Bay. It’s the atmosphere at a links that is so special. Nairn and Dornoch and Ballybunion are wonderful golf courses. I also like Rosses Point and Carne, which has some of the largest dunes I’ve ever seen. They are all so much fun to play.

My appreciation also extends to how the courses are maintained over there. The spectacular courses of the world are built on sand and therefore drain better than others. There are so many things that can be done on sand that can’t be done on clay or organic material like we have in many parts of the United States. I’ve tried to simulate it the best way I possibly can wherever I build.

Are there courses in the US that have had a profound effect on you? PD: It’s always been Pinehurst #2. I would also say Garden City Men’s Club on Long Island, which has the same feeling you’ll find on a Scottish links. Again, it’s on sand. In fact, some of the most wonderful courses in America are located on Long Island, including Shinnecock and, of course, National Golf Links. I’ve always thought Charles Blair Macdonald and Seth Raynor designed wonderful courses. Raynor did a great job carrying out Macdonald’s style. I really like his courses, and the type of holes he built. Raynor did Camargo in Cincinnati which I’ve always loved. One thing I admire about Raynor is that he reproduced a certain style everywhere he went. The minute you step foot onto one of his courses, you can tell it’s a Seth Raynor course.

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
PD: Well, the man upstairs gave me a spectacular coastline at Teeth of the Dog in the Dominican Republic. It has seven holes hanging right in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. And the water there is very docile most of the time, so I was able put the tees, greens and fairways much closer to the sea than you have at courses with pounding surf like Pebble Beach. You can see the water right below you—it’s pretty dramatic. In the United States, the courses that probably get the most attention are the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, Whistling Straits and the TPC at Sawgrass.

Does it surprise you how much attention the island green at Sawgrass gets? 
PD: I get every reaction—good, bad or indifferent. The hole is a 125 yard shot. It doesn’t take any strength to play the hole. And the ladies tee is off to the side so it’s even shorter. When average golfers come to play, they will hit two or three balls and finally get one on the green. That’s pretty good. But for some reason or another—I don’t know why—here are all these great professionals looking at a green that is about 5000 square feet. And in a practice round they could hit 100 balls right in the middle of the green. But for some reason, in the last round of the Tournament Players Championship, with the title on the line, it becomes an unbelievable challenge. They hit shots you never would have thought they would hit. It’s nothing but a 9-iron, or wedge, or 8-iron shot at the most. The green is not on a polka dot, like the Postage Stamp at Troon. Of course, it does have water around it.

Isn’t that what you have been trying to do your entire career, intimidate the professionals? 
PD: That’s an accomplishment. To built a course that gets 30,000 or 40,000 rounds per year for people of all types of handicaps, and still have the professionals complain about it, I guess that’s like hitting a home run. PGA West gets more play than any course in Palms Springs and yet the professionals were always critical of it. They thought it was too hard. Can you imagine that? 

Do you have a strategy when you design a course? PD: It all starts with a keen knowledge of the game, and the way it is played by the better players and by the higher handicap players. After that, I try to create a major variation in the holes, and I try to get them in a sequence that I feel is going to work best. I try to change the pace constantly—make the 16th hole a long par 4 and the 14th hole a short par 4. For par 5’s, have one coming over the water going south and another one going north. You grade the courses on those factors—having as many different golf shots as possible. That’s one of the greatest things about the game. You really see it in a club player—the 10 or 15 handicap player—who has shots that professional players never experience. He gets himself into problems where all these other shots come into play. I try to keep that shot variation for the professionals as much as I can. But if you watch on television, it’s at the point where they hit a seven iron, a nine iron, a wedge, and they hit a three iron off the tee. Sure, it leads to lower scoring, but it takes the variation away. The same was true when the greens had a lot of undulation. You could see the ball roll and dip and get away, but now they’re all the same speed and it has taken something away from the game.

It seems you always built a par-3 at the 17th hole on your courses. PD: When people play golf, they tend to remember the last three holes, so I try to change the par at the end of both nines, either 5-3-4, or 4-3-5, or whatever it is. I can create more variation and shots on that kind of finish than I could with three par-fours. At Pinehurst #2 for example, the 18th hole is one of the longest, hardest finishing par 4’s of the course. The 17th is a par 3 and the 16th is a par 5. That’s as much variation as you can get in a golf course. There you go—what I’m doing is nothing new.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:16:24 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
Part two.

Tell me more about your affection for Pinehurst #2, and the influence it had upon you. PD: Yes, it’s always been my biggest influence in the United States. Of course they have modified it a lot since I played there, but I really liked the old course when I played it in the 1940s and 50s.  It is all on sandhills. It’s an unusual area for the United States—the sand goes down for 50 or 100 feet. All the little rolls and contours are able to drain. You can shape so much easier with sand and get so many variations. You know, I  have always thought that the great golf courses in the world are built primarily on a sand base.

I remember after the war, I was stationed back at Fort Bragg, which is just north of Pinehurst.  When I had the time, I would do some work on the golf course. And every day some of the officers wanted to play golf. They thought I could play a little, so we played Pinehurst. I played it just about every day for six months until I was discharged in 1946. We were probably four of the better golfers in the area, so as a buck-private, working at the course, I got to know Donald Ross a little bit. He would follow us around for five or six holes, always accompanied by this old fellow named J.C. Penney. Now, we all knew who J.C. Penney was, but at that time, none of the other three guys had any idea who Mr. Ross was—and that was right at the height of his career. Anyway, his legacy has certainly grown since that time.
  When I played there in the 40s there was nothing subtle about it. We were playing with the old Spalding Dot or Crowflight and the clubs were made before the war. It was a bearcat of a golf course. Well, equipment has changed and they’ve gone on to revamp the thing three or four times now. They’ve gone back and forth from bent to Bermuda. I’ve always maintained that if Donald Ross could crawl out of his grave and watch someone hit a drive and a nine iron to the first green, he would move the tee back into the parking lot. When he finished Pinehurst in the 1930s, he had no thought of building a subtle golf course. So the subtleties have come after his death. Then again, he lived there and there aren’t enough fingers on your hand to count the times he modified the greens himself after watching people play.

How was he able to be so profilic in that era? PD: It is interesting that there were four brothers who worked for him, the Baxter boys. And the youngest brother ended up working for me on the construction of Teeth of the Dog. I’ve never seen it written anyplace—but on every one of the famous courses that Mr. Ross built, one of the Baxters showed up to supervise the construction. It took them a few years to do each course, so they couldn’t do all 600, or however many courses Mr. Ross designed. He did many routings on courses that he never saw—it would have been impossible for him to see all of them from the back of a train. But the courses where the Baxter boys showed up were his best. They were good players, Scottish professionals. They did Oakland Hills, Oak Hill, Salem, and others. You don’t hear about the other 200 or 300 courses.

I’ve got to imagine when they built courses in The Golden Era the issues of playability for average golfers never factored into their discussions. 
PD: Probably not. I recently returned to the Des Moines Golf & Country Club where I built one of their two courses 40 years ago. The club hosted what was probably the most successful U.S. Senior Open Championship ever, in 1999. I believe they had over 150,000 spectators throughout the week. Anyway, these 40-year-old greens were so severe I nearly fainted. Yet, at the time I built them, greens never rolled faster than six or seven on the Stimpmeter. I had no idea that greens would someday evolve to become as quick as they do now. I’m sure those designers had no idea that their greens would someday be cut at one-eighth of an inch.

It's amazing the extent to which the game has changed in your lifetime.
PD: The game of golf has changed dramatically. I understand it has always been changing from the days of the gutta percha ball, but it’s done so more dramatically—or at least I think it has—in the last 10 or 12 years. It hasn’t been just the golf ball or the equipment, but maintenance. Ten years ago, I never heard of a green over nine on the Stimpmeter. Nowadays, at most country clubs, people think the course isn’t in good shape if the greens don’t roll 10 or 11. And now the fairways are cut shorter than ever. I’ve gone back to the Tournament Players Club at Sawgrass to revamp the course three times now and all I do is to keep softening the greens. Where they once pitched two inches every 10 feet, now I’ve reduced it to an inch and-a-half—or more like an inch and-a-quarter. Where I used shape a large contour through a green, which would drop off a foot in 10 feet, now it’s down to five inches in 10 feet. I have to do it, because I know they are going to cut the greens as fast as they do. Otherwise, the ball wouldn’t stay on the green.

Does that bode well for course architecture?
PD: This trend reflects the championship standards put forth by the governing bodies, particularly the United States Golf Association. When the USGA publicizes that its greens will run at 10, 11 or 12 for their championships, the greens chairman at every country club decides his club must have greens at the same standard. All they have done, as far as I’m concerned, is escalate the maintenance costs dramatically. And the problem manifests itself in other ways. With the greens so fast, pace of play has become slower, since most ordinary golfers can’t putt them. But if a client comes to me with the intention of building a course for a pro tournament, I have to take into consideration the realities on the ground and the demand for green speed from the PGA Tour and the USGA. Even Harbor Town hasn’t gone untouched. I’ve gone back three times to slow them down, and those greens weren’t very severe to start with, so I didn’t need to slow them down much. Now I have to use laser levels to get green contours right. I used to eyeball everything in, but I can’t do that anymore because the difference is so subtle.

What would be your suggestions?
PD: Well, here’s something that the USGA may have never taken into consideration, or perhaps they have forgotten. Ben Hogan won the US Open at Merion in 1950 and they claim those were the fastest greens in the world. But I’ve studied the pictures from that tournament and calculated that they rolled about six. One of my last conversations with Sam Snead was about just that, even though he didn’t believe me. The Open greens in those days only rolled six or seven. They were cut at a quarter of an inch. I know that as a fact because I was always interested in the agronomics of a golf course, even then. After they were cut, the greens were rolled and the blade would fall, so they looked smooth, much like a green today. But it wasn’t an eighth of an inch; it was a quarter. At that length, it’s easier to grow grass and the roots go down better. But after rolling them, downhill putts rolled faster than any green played today. Downhill and down grain, they were very, very fast. But coming back into the grain, and uphill was as slow as molasses. That was a part of the game. Hogan always used to leave the ball on the low side of the hole, so he was always putting into the grain. That was part of his strategy and his ability as a shotmaker. And all the other players would try to do the same because they knew that any putts downhill and downgrain were almost impossible to get close. It required the player to have more ability to putt then than they do today.

Hasn’t an old element of the game been lost when bunkers were unpredictable—why are the pros so concerned with having the venues be identical from week to week?
PD: Anyone who watches golf on television knows these professionals can play out of the bunkers better than they can out of the rough. It has come to the point where every bunker is maintained identically from week to week. The same sand, the same texture, the same feel, and so forth. I think Jack Nicklaus did a good thing by introducing the furrows to the bunkers at the Memorial a few years ago. The experiment lasted only one year, of course. The slight furrowing caused a complete consternation from the tour players, and Nicklaus backed down. The USGA could furrow the bunkers for a professional tournament and the day after the pros leave, return them to normal. The bunkers would then become true hazards. Right now, bunkers are only a hazard to the higher handicap player.

What other changes in courses have you seen over the years?
PD: The main thing is the maintenance of golf courses. I can speak as an expert, because I got into this business from a maintenance point of view. Anyway, the way we cut fairways, the way we cut greens, everything has changed tremendously. The way they cut the fairways now at under a half-inch, you have to contour your fairways and drain them almost like a putting green. And physics says that unless you put linoleum down, there’s no way to make the greens any faster. When we played golf at the country club in Annapolis, it had bluegrass and fescues and buck corn and dandelions out there, and that was an accepted thing for a very high quality club in 1950. Now, the clubs will manicure and maintain the courses to compete with the Muirfields, just to stay alive. That’s the way it is. As a result, I think we’ve lost a great deal of the game—not with the club players but with the great players. You can’t seprate the great players anymore, because the golf shots required on the courses today are too much alike. All of the golf courses they  play today are par 68, because of the ability to reach the par 5’s in two. They’re hitting to the par 5’s the same way Hogan, Nelson and the other great players of the past hit to the par 4’s. I can remember very distinctly when Ben Hogan played an exhibition in Indianapolis in the early 1950s. He was talking about the great par 5’s in golf, and he mentioned the 10th hole at Pinehurst #2. He said he had to hit a drive on a certain side of the fairway and really hit a three wood to be able to hit soft eight or nine iron shot to the green. And that’s what he considered a good par 5. Today, the pros talk about a great par 5 because they can hit a good drive into the fairway and  go for the green with a four or five iron. Now that’s the change of time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:30:13 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »
Part 3.

The Senior U.S. Open is coming to Crooked Stick, a course you designed in  the 1960s. How has that course evolved? PD: Crooked Stick has a length of 7,300 yards, but that doesn’t mean anything to someone who hits the ball 300 yards. Most professionals play a 490-yard par-four with a 300-yard drive and a 190-yard six-iron. Or a five-iron at the most. I built those types of holes thinking that a good player from the back tee would hit a drive and a long iron into the green. The golf ball has almost taken that element—that type of strategy—out of the game. While it’s not possible to call a 540 yard hole a par-four, that’s how long it would need to be in order for a top player to hit a 3-iron into a green. Most young players have never been exposed to that part of the game. I’m sure they would be better players if they were challenged to do that more often. And all this length that the pros get from the latest golf balls doesn’t really help the woman who hits the ball 120, or 130 yards long. 

With the benefit of equipment, do today’s professionals stack up to the former players who used more instinct and more feel and had more personalized swings? PD: I’m sure the current crop could match up with those players if they ever had the chance. But now they learn the game with that big block of a club head and off-set irons. They have never been exposed to anything else. I see the high school kids come play Crooked Stick and they have never swung anything other than the modern equipment. They look at me and see my old set of Hogan irons and wonder where did I ever find these? I can’t blame them.

Do you worry about the future of the game?
PD: Sometimes I think that maybe I’m so dog-gone old I’m in the Dark Ages, but I think the game will survive. Maybe things will revert back when people realize they don’t need to cut the greens as fast as they do.  I’m working on a golf course now at French Lick Hotel in Indiana where I’ve had the most fun in my life. The location is the highest point in Indiana with 35-mile views from every tee and fairway. This is beautiful country. The wind comes out of Kansas and there’s nothing there to stop it.  I had a source of sand close by so this will be the first course where I capped the entire course with 18-inches of sand.

Is there anything that you’re trying there for the first time? PD: Well, French Lick Springs Hotel is a historic hotel and golf resort, like the Greenbrier or the Homestead. They already have a Donald Ross course that was built in 1917. It hosted the PGA Championship in 1926 when Walter Hagen beat Jim Barnes. And Mickey Wright won the LPGA there in 1960. Since then, the course and the hotel had fallen into disarray. Now the Ross course has been restored, as well as the hotel. When I got the go-ahead to build a new golf course, I got to thinking about how in the world I could make it different from every golf course that I’ve ever seen in the state? How was I going to make it work for a professional tournament? Here’s what I did. Since I tend to make my fairways pretty wide—even the fairways at TPC at Sawgrass are 100, 120 feet wide—and the rough is grown typically for any major event. The USGA wants the fairways at 90 or 85 feet. At French Lick, I decided to build fairways about 85 feet in width. Well, the average golfer can’t play them, but there is a relatively new grass called Turf Type Fescue that can be cut down to an inch-and-a-half. When I was playing golf in Indianapolis in the 1950s, that was the height fairways were cut. What I thought we could do was keep that rough cut short, which for the average player is as easy as it is from the fairway, until the pros come to town.

What about length?
I also made adjustments to the fairways on the long and short par-fours. What I call a short par-four used to be 320 yards, now it’s anything 399 yards or less. Just long enough so the pros can’t drive it. I left the good player the option to bomb the ball and hit a half-wedge into the green. But on the long par-fours—some of them are 470 to 500 yards—I really tightened the fairways between 300 and 340 yards off the tee. Tiger, or any of the long hitters, will have to think twice and probably hit a three-wood on a long par-four, which should leave them a 210-yard shot into a green. Who knows if it will stop them? But any pro who routinely drives the ball more than 300 yards will be challenged from the back tees. All I’m trying to do is stop that 360 yard drive. There’s no use worrying about it on the short holes, because what’s the difference between them hitting a half-wedge or a full wedge into a green? 

Is there anything you’ve seen from your early career and done differently?
PD: Oh, everything. It’s like when somebody talks to me about restoring a Donald Ross course. He was a great player and a great designer, but if he saw what was going on today I can’t believe he wouldn’t want to increase the difficulty of what he built 75 years ago. The course he built down there in French Lick, for example, is a fun course to play. But if those greens are sped up to 11 on the Stimpmeter, golfers couldn’t putt the greens, not one. And many of the fairway bunkers are only 200 yards off the tee. No way would Ross place bunkers 200 yards off the tee today. To do a proper restoration to a Ross course, in my opinion, that person would need to interpret his style and recreate it as closely as possible. But the realities of the modern game has to be taken into account.

Take Crooked Stick as an example. I love Crooked Stick. I scouted the land, raised the money, served as president, everything possible to make it happen. Now I see a USGA memo sent to the club explaining that they want the greens at 11. And if the USGA says 11, the membership thinks the greens will roll that fast every day of the week from now till then. I think I’ve been back three times to modify the greens. They were first built  to a 1960 standard, and then they were changed in the 70s and the 80s, and here we are again. I’m out there confronting the fact that the Senior Open will be held there and the course will have lightening quick greens, thick rough and play 7,300 yards for the championship. And this is for golfers over 50! What can I say? How can we challenge all these other great young golfers who hit a hit 5-irons 220 yards.

What would be the reaction of the Golden Age designers if they saw the state of the game today?
PD: I think they would be astonished. I can remember vividly the equipment from the 50s. Hogan may have hit the ball on the screws every shot, but for those who didn’t, the ball wouldn’t fly far. I remember saying, about 1995, when superintendents began using the “groomer” to cut greens, there’s no way these people are going to make greens any faster. And now, here I am in 2007, and I say, there’s no way they can make greens any faster. And yet, turf experts are working on hybrid grasses, and they will probably come up with something else.

Do you think about your legacy?
PD: The one thing I’m proud of is that I’ve probably built more of my golf courses for the same owners. I’m working on my fifth golf course for the tour right now, in San Antonio, and they haven’t fired me yet. When I worked for Landmark, I built eight or nine golf courses for them. I’ve built four courses for Mr Kohler. No use jumping around. They get used to all my mistakes and they put up with it.

You’ve earned the right.
Another thing that happened down at Casa de Campo was a pretty rare: it's the coastline (this will be hard to explain). Like the eighteenth hole at Pebble Beach, the coastline is curves like a half-moon, that’s convex. Stand on the tee, and you can see the green and the hole curves around the water. Typically, when you have a convex area like that, the next stretch of coastline does just the opposite. It’s hard to make a hole that’s concave. But at Teeth of the Dog, when I first walked the property years and years ago, I walked along the edge of the sea, it was all brush and stone, but I discovered three convex coves in a row. And I finally got a piece of rope (or whatever it was) and I measured them out: one was 400 yards, and the next convex stretch was 190 yards and the third one was 450 yards. All in succession, one, two, three. So the man upstairs convexed three holes right in a row. All I had to do was put grass on them. And I did the same thing on the back nine, with four holes in a row. That’s seven holes in all, right on the water. That’s pretty unusual, to see the edge of the sea and have that happen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:43:39 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »
Forgive the formatting issues. In an effort to cut and paste from an old word file, there seem to be some glitches embedded in the transfer of text.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »
Colin:

Thanks for posting that.

The longest and best interview / article I've ever read about Mr. Dye is in a book titled Golf: The Passion and the Challenge, written by Mark Mulvoy and Art Spander in 1977.  Mulvoy spent time with Pete while he was building John's Island Club in Vero Beach, and got him to expound on his ideas for the ideal golf course, and how he worked.  When Pete sat me down in 1984 to talk through the design of PGA West, he pretty much told me the exact same things!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:41 PM »

My thanks too, Colin.
There is so much there, in every line, but for me one of the most telling was the point he made about Mr. Raynor (mostly because of what I think it says about Mr Dye himself). With my bolding: 
"One thing I admire about Raynor is that he reproduced a certain style everywhere he went. The minute you step foot onto one of his courses, you can tell it’s a Seth Raynor course."
The reason it struck me is that it pegs Mr. Dye as coming from another/different generation of architects & creative professionals. What I mean: I wrote a documentary once on musicians/bands from the 1920s-40s. And the thing is, it didn't matter if you were talking about (such very diverse musicians/bands as) Paul Whitman or Fletcher Henderson or Guy Lombardo or Benny Goodman or Count Basie or Glenn Miller or the Louis Armstrong All Stars -- they all had, and they all thought it vitally important to have, an immediately distinct & identifiable 'sound', a 'style' all their own. And they all stuck with that style as closely and for as long as they possibly could.
I think as an architect Mr. Dye (like Mr. Jones) came from the same place/same generation: ie 'creativity' and 'talent' (and 'success) wasn't for them doing something *different* every time out but doing something that -- as he says about Raynor -- would tell you who designed the course the minute you stepped foot on it.
In other words: not only weren't they afraid of being 'pigeonholed', they actually *wanted* to be. For them in didn't hamper their talent in any way; it simply helped ensure that they'd keep getting work.
PS - I'm not making a value judgement here, ie I'm not saying that approach is better/worse than another one. And maybe today's architects are just as concerned with being 'identifiable' as Mr. Dye was. But I've never read one of them say: 'No matter how many courses I build, I want you to know that you're playing one of *my* courses the moment you step foot on it'.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:34:56 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »

My thanks too, Colin.
There is so much there, in every line, but for me one of the most telling was the point he made about Mr. Raynor (mostly because of what I think it says about Mr Dye himself). With my bolding: 
"One thing I admire about Raynor is that he reproduced a certain style everywhere he went. The minute you step foot onto one of his courses, you can tell it’s a Seth Raynor course."
The reason it struck me is that it pegs Mr. Dye as coming from another/different generation of architects & creative professionals. What I mean: I wrote a documentary once on musicians/bands from the 1920s-40s. And the thing is, it didn't matter if you were talking about (such very diverse musicians/bands as) Paul Whitman or Fletcher Henderson or Guy Lombardo or Benny Goodman or Count Basie or Glenn Miller or the Louis Armstrong All Stars -- they all had, and they all thought it vitally important to have, an immediately distinct & identifiable 'sound', a 'style' all their own. And they all stuck with that style as closely and for as long as they possibly could.
I think as an architect Mr. Dye (like Mr. Jones) came from the same place/same generation: ie 'creativity' and 'talent' (and 'success) wasn't for them doing something *different* every time out but doing something that -- as he says about Raynor -- would tell you who designed the course the minute you stepped foot on it.
In other words: not only weren't they afraid of being 'pigeonholed', they actually *wanted* to be. For them in didn't hamper their talent in any way; it simply helped ensure that they'd keep getting work.
PS - I'm not making a value judgement here, ie I'm not saying that approach is better/worse than another one. And maybe today's architects are just as concerned with being 'identifiable' as Mr. Dye was. But I've never read one of them say: 'No matter how many courses I build, I want you to know that you're playing one of *my* courses the moment you step foot on it'.

I did find that quote interesting, because Mr. Dye did have a style of his own, and mostly his courses are easily recognizable.

And yet, his style evolved considerably over the years, and I heard it straight from the horse's mouth that he did not like to repeat himself.

I guess he proved that it's possible to do both.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 12:38:07 AM »
Colin,
Thanks so much for sharing this interview which is a nice time capsule into what he thought of GCA and topics in golf at a late stage of his career. Funny to think of his thought on modern equipment which was just at the beginning stages in 06 for distance gains. Off set irons and big club heads.  Prov1 balls and driver/shaft tech has come a long way since even his interview.

With the benefit of equipment, do today’s professionals stack up to the former players who used more instinct and more feel and had more personalized swings? PD: I’m sure the current crop could match up with those players if they ever had the chance. But now they learn the game with that big block of a club head and off-set irons. They have never been exposed to anything else. I see the high school kids come play Crooked Stick and they have never swung anything other than the modern equipment. They look at me and see my old set of Hogan irons and wonder where did I ever find these? I can’t blame them.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »

I did find that quote interesting, because Mr. Dye did have a style of his own, and mostly his courses are easily recognizable.

And yet, his style evolved considerably over the years, and I heard it straight from the horse's mouth that he did not like to repeat himself.

Tom,

Is this to say when he did a few similar holes for TPC Sawgrass and PGA West that he did not "like" putting them in the exact same place of the routing like 13, 17, and 18?

Matt Kardash

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »

Tom,

Is this to say when he did a few similar holes for TPC Sawgrass and PGA West that he did not "like" putting them in the exact same place of the routing like 13, 17, and 18?
I know you asked Tom this, but I feel like PGA West was perhaps the first design where Dye started to repeat himself, although some of the repeating (island green for example) wasn't his call, from what I have read.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »

Tom,

I know you asked Tom this, but I feel like PGA West was perhaps the first design where Dye started to repeat himself, although some of the repeating (island green for example) wasn't his call, from what I have read.

One of the things Pete did have was a very precise idea of the "ideal tournament finish".  You can read it in Colin's interview above, or even go back to that Mark Mulvoy article from 1977 that I referenced, it is the same there.  So, 16 at PGA West is different because of the deep bunker, but otherwise 16-17-18 is very similar to the TPC at Sawgrass, and to most of the other tournament courses that Pete built.

Neither of those courses had any natural features to suggest he do something else.

That is exactly the reason why I have tried NOT to decide what I think is the ideal way of doing something, because it leads to repetition.  But, when I suddenly had to design for a tournament site in Houston, you will see that I still had Mr. Dye's voice in my ear.  Luckily the natural site for the pond was on the 16th and 17th holes, and I made the latter of those a short par-4, to go along with a diabolical short par-3 [15], a dangerous reachable par-5 [16], and a very long par-4 finisher, so it isn't quite so obvious how similar my finish is to his ideal.

Mrs. Dye would not have approved of the water in front of the green at the 16th, but Pete might have, if he had watched Brooks Koepka much in his last two years.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
   Great interview!  Pete and I seem to agree on at least one thing.  No way Ross or other golden ager would put a fairway bunker 200 yards off a tee today.  They would “increase the difficulty” to adjust for the modern game.  That is how Pete would do a restoration.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »
   Great interview!  Pete and I seem to agree on at least one thing.  No way Ross or other golden ager would put a fairway bunker 200 yards off a tee today.  They would “increase the difficulty” to adjust for the modern game.  That is how Pete would do a restoration.

Pete would not do a restoration at all.  He didn't believe in them.  Although he did send me to Camargo to do one   ;)

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 02:47:52 PM »
  “To do a proper restoration” -  his words, not mine.

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:08 PM »
Thanks for this.

It seemed to me that Dye tended to loosely pay homage the Raynor/Macdonald templates with his par 3s.  At TPC Sawgrass if you squint a bit the 3rd is an eden, the 8th a Biarritz, the 13th a redan and the 17th a short.  I recall having the impression that others followed a similar pattern. 

Did he ever indicate that the templates inspired his par 3s?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 05:37:12 PM »

Did he ever indicate that the templates inspired his par 3s?

Not to me, anyway.  And he knew I knew them, so if he had wanted to make those comparisons, he would have.

He did cite the Redan sometimes, although more on Perry's courses than on his own.  (The ASU course had a Redan; also Brickyard Crosding in Indy.)  I can see a similarity between the par-5 11th green at TPC Sawgrass and the Biarritz, but he didn't call it out by name.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back