News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

R.I.P. Pete Dye
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »
Passed away today aged 94. Met him once, one of the funniest. Kinda the 'Arnold Palmer' of golf course architects.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

jeffwarne

Re: R.I.P. Pete Dye
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »
Passed away today aged 94. Met him once, one of the funniest. Kinda the 'Arnold Palmer' of golf course architects.

RIP
First architect I knew personally and I was fortunate to work at one of his finest works.

Amazing legacy of outstanding associates
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Wuthrich

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »
RIP
Always enjoy his courses
There will never be another Pete Dye!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 05:39:08 PM »
RIP
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 05:46:15 PM »

Golfweek Obit:

https://golfweek.com/2020/01/09/renowned-golf-course-architect-pete-dye-dead-94/

Spoke to him on the phone once. He picked it and answered my question. Saw him at Desert Forest once.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 06:29:26 PM »

One of my most nerve-wracking moments ever on a golf course was when Pete Dye walked the 18th hole in with my group on the Nicklaus course at Kiawah Island.  Somehow I managed to hit a few decent shots and made par. 

I later got to chat with this legendary gentleman a bit on the clubhouse veranda and he was the consummate role model of midwestern values, human decency, and teasing good humor. 

He revolutionized the game we love by re-introducing the art of the possible with a mischievous twinkle in his eye.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
   Sad day here at Casa De Campo.. Pete sponsored me at La Romana CC. When the course first opened, I finished at dusk and he happened to be hanging around the 18th hole.  There was no clubhouse.  As we walked off the green, he asked four nobodies if we liked the course.  He really cared.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
RIP.   The bridge between ODGs and modern masters.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
R.I.P. to one of the greats.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »

He was always really nice to me and I was lucky enough to talk with him a few times over the years.

One of my favourite memories was a talk he was giving where, right in the middle he stopped and asked Alice if he had a specific details right, she said, "No," then said "but that never stopped you before" He laughed. We laughed. And he continued his talk.

I think what I liked most about him was seeing the way he and Alice interacted. It was beautiful to watch.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
Sad day  :'(  Considered Pete a friend having met and talked to him numerous times.  He was kind enough to write the Foreward for our book on Hazards.  One of my all time favorite architects.  Just an all around good person.

Adam G

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »
NYT obit calls him the "Picasso of Golf Course Design." Quite apt.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »
Pete Dye lived an amazing life and was lucky to love and be loved by an amazing wife.
He was a fine golfer – qualified for some Western Amateurs – but Alice was the golfer in the family. And his rock.
He was witty, brutally honest, and brilliant. Met him a couple of times. Enjoyed every second.
R.I.P.

The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »
I was fortunate to get a slot in a 4some at the first outting Whistling Straits had during the week of first Women's US Open over at Blackwolf Run.  Shotgun start.  We approached the 17th and there was Pete and Alice sitting alongside the teeing ground.  I certainly recognized them and paid my compliments.  I told Alice I went to her GCSAA seminar in Vegas.  Pete proceeded in a quite animated way, waving his arms about and pointing all around the landscape to tell me how they staged the two tier routing out of a flattish beach bombing practice run for torpedo bombers from the old WWII days.  But, we had to keep moving in the outting and so I looked at the scary crazy 17th (I had visited the site during construction and basically knew what was up)  Then from about 195yards with 5 wood, went right at the flag, only about four or five paces from back left next to RR ties embankment down to the abyss.  I landed about one pace on the green between flag and abyss, it took a hop and went down.  I had to do it,  I had to try to stick it close right in front of the master himself.  I sheepishly looked over at him, and he was grinning ear to ear as he pulled his hat down tight and we walked off the tee.  2 of the playing companions were pretty good players and took their shot over the vulcano guarding front right bunker, with plenty of deceptive room behind that bunker to play safe.  I did get my shot up to the green and over off of the far side in 4 attempts and two putted for 7.  Pete came up after we finished and asked how we liked the course, broadly smiling at me.  The two guys who played safe made par and said they loved it. The fourth was a double bogie IIRC.  I got the pic with Pete there on the 17th tee, but don't have a host site.  RIP
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:48:15 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 08:25:38 PM »
Well, for once, I really don't know what to say.

Fortunately I have spent the past 35 years telling stories about Pete Dye, and saying thanks for all that he and Alice taught me.

I can't believe how fortunate I was to spend significant time with him, and I'm sorry for those in our profession who never got that chance.  I do not remember ever having a conversation with Pete Dye where I wasn't learning.

Chris Buie

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 08:38:46 PM »
Thanks to Tom Paul I got to interview him. He was incredibly likable. Amazing sense of humor.
R.I.P.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »

NY Times Obit:  " The Picasso of Golf Course Design"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/sports/golf/pete-dye-dead.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 09:09:52 PM »
To those who knew and loved him, my condolences.
His relationships, with friends and family and Alice, and his mentorship of others -- reading about Mr Dye over the years, and as important as golf and golf architecture were to him, I got the feeling that it was those interpersonal connections that he saw as his most important testaments and most lasting legacy.
He is resting in peace.
Peter   

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 10:30:49 PM »
A real giant.

The game is better for him having been in it. Thank you, Pete.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 03:24:23 AM »
May the Dye legacy for both Pete and his lovely wife Alice live on, as it should, for all golfers to pass on to the next generation.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 03:40:03 AM »
One of the game's true Titans. A sad loss but what a great life.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 09:53:26 AM »
Here is a picture that hangs in the clubhouse at the Ocean Course.
Obviously Pete Dye touched a lot of the people in this industry we all love.
RIP

EDIT: Photo of Pete Dye's family tree didn't post. 
Here is a list of all of the folks on the family tree picture:- Scott Miller- Jim Lipe- Bob Cupp- Jack Nicklaus II- John Robinson- Stephen Kay- William Newcomb- Jack Nicklaus- Lee Schmidt- John Harbottle- Gil Hanse- Tim Liddy- Greg Norman- Tom Doak- David Pfaff- Rick Jacobson- Chris Cochrane- David Heatwole- Scott Miller- Roy Dye- Perry Dye- P.B. Dye- Brian Curley- Scott Pool- Bill Coore-Ben Crenshaw- Jason McCoy- Bobby Weed- Chris Gray- Scott Sherman- Chris Monti
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:47:06 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Scott Sander

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 10:13:57 AM »
Fellow GCA'er Chris Wirthwein was kind enough to greatly improve our television coverage here in Mr. Dye's adopted home state.

Posted for those interested - not for clicks.  Can't do much about the ads...
https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/remembering-golf-course-designer-pete-dye/

(In hindsight, the question about changes was probably just for the sandbox...)

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »

Its hard to imagine where golf architecture would be today without Pete Dye.

RIP.  :'(

Troy Miller

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »

My first brush with golf course architecture came as an 8 year old kid when Pete Dye was building The Ocean Course. Pete took me out for a tour and when we came to the 8 foot deep bunker behind the 11th green I stood in the bottom, looked up, looked at Pete, and then said, as any smart aleck kid would, ‘why don’t you make it deeper? The bucket swung around scooped out another foot.
Over the years, I got to spend priceless moments with Pete, a fountain of knowledge, great stories, and a perpetual example on how to treat people.
No one in the history of golf course architecture has influenced, mentored, and produced more architects.
His history with Landmark Land Company was one of mutual benefit and produced, in my opinion, his finest work. What an incredible career he had, and a life well lived.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back