News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

Winter Golf and Conditioning
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
See the other thread on conditioning reminded me that I wanted to ask a separate, but related question.

Which courses do you think have better conditioning during the winter than in the summer?  (In their respective hemispheres)

Part of why I ask the question is that I have been reading a lot recently on the origins of golf as a winter game in Scotland and how much this has influence how we think about conditions today. 

Jay Mickle

Re: Winter Golf and Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:09 PM »
My two favorites in the NC Sandhills are #2 and Dormie with dormant Bermuda for outstanding playing conditions. Over seeded local courses play soft and slow, not up to their spring/summer/fall conditions. Additionally, winter means fewer people and faster rounds. My favorite time of year to play.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »
Good question.

Even here in Utah the fall and winter almost always present a better playing surface, especially when its 25 degrees and everything is fast and firm!  ;D   The one downside is ball marks are more difficult to repair, but they're usually a a fair bit smaller.

John Emerson

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 03:29:32 PM »
The best greens I’ve ever played on have been dormant Bermuda.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 05:11:03 PM »
I played an event at Streamsong in January a couple of times and thought that was the perfect course condition - kind of half dormant/half growing.  Akin to what one gets in the north in the late fall.

John Emerson

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »
I played an event at Streamsong in January a couple of times and thought that was the perfect course condition - kind of half dormant/half growing.  Akin to what one gets in the north in the late fall.

Agreed
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »
My two favorites in the NC Sandhills are #2 and Dormie with dormant Bermuda for outstanding playing conditions. Over seeded local courses play soft and slow, not up to their spring/summer/fall conditions. Additionally, winter means fewer people and faster rounds. My favorite time of year to play.

I played #2 and #4 last month. The conditions were amazing. The greens were almost too fast.  As you said, few people and very fast rounds. Here are links to photos. You need to be of the mind that brown is beautiful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157712323763597  Pinehurst #2

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157712279480736 Pinehurst #4

James Brown

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 08:46:30 PM »
I am surprised and intrigued that all the responses so far have been about US courses.  When I wrote this I was thinking about UK courses and how the “Winter Game” started in Scotland. 

And it’s clear dormant Bermuda is awesome. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back