News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Season greetings from Ben, Joe and Ran New
« on: January 06, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »
Another year passes in the rearview mirror and GolfClubAtlas chugs into its fourth (!) decade as a non-commercial venture. Who would have thunk it?!

In 2019 the importance of golf course architecture was reinforced to me during two playing experiences with the same man, our own Neil Regan. First, we played Ballybunion, which is so outrageously well-suited for golf that it makes your head spin and 60 days later at Winged Foot West, restricted to 8 clubs per man.  For fans of golf course architecture, the unsurprising thing is that both rounds were equally engrossing. For others, it may be hard to imagine that a clay-based course on Winged Foot's raw property could compete with the sandy loam across Ballybunion’s heaving landforms but that's great architecture. These experiences highlight the importance of the subject matter that we have engrossed ourselves in since June, 1999.

The metrics of how people look at courses will ever shift with the times. Personally, I have recently become fixated on evaluating courses by the parameters of how quickly I wish to return and how frequently I would I like to play there. One course that I saw this year that does well on both counts is Rhode Island Country Club - its members are truly fortunate to have a course that strikes that elusive balance between fun and challenge. Similarly, I was thrilled to return to Gamble Sands in late May, noting to Derek Duncan and Carr Harris what a delight to be back after four years. Upon leaving the property two days later, we all agreed a return trip was in order. The desire to play somewhere is a simple but worthy litmus test.

In a hilarious article on raters for the December issue of GOLF, Evan Rothman penned: 'For the most interesting golf architecture discussions on the Internet, with the least profanity, visit the granddaddy of such sites, Golf Club Atlas.' Always wonderful to receive a compliment, especially since I also receive the 'report to moderator'  :-X emails. Two points piqued my interest, 1) GCA is actually known for exemplary behavior relative to other websites and 2) the term, 'granddaddy.'  The second point, first. That word makes me think of the Rose Bowl and Keith Jackson; no matter how you slice it, The Rose Bowl has lost significance.  Has the same occurred to GolfClubAtlas? You tell us. As always, we rely on people to contribute thoughtful prose, be it in the Discussion Group or In My Opinion pieces. For several years running, only a few people have contributed IMO pieces. Meanwhile, knowledgeable people bustle away furthering their own brand on Instagram, Twitter etc.. What are the ramifications long haul for GolfClubAtlas? I am biased but I don't think we are missing a beat, but you tell me. We can adjust and embrace good ideas post-haste and I realize that I am a dinosaur in that I enjoy/prefer long form writing over ‘tweets.’

Regarding the first part of Evan's sentence, we are the generators and custodians of quality content. I - foolishly - tried to read up on Punta Espada elsewhere online and the first review I came across said, 'This gym of a design ...'. Well, evidently, a bunch of fit people play there!  8) Back to GCA I went and fortunately, 95%+ of the posts on GCA enjoy a fine tenor and Evan was gracious to say so. Still, we need to be vigilant. I get that people have a perverse thrill when there is a 'pile-up' on GCA. That's human nature. As we grow older together, people may travel/see less and spend more time at their keyboard. That is a double edge sword as it can be beneficial (we love on-topic, good content) and detrimental (lazy behavior kicks in and you post to show how clever you are). There is no room at the GCA table for poor and/or belittling behavior. There is, however, room at the table for me to be a more active participant in various DG threads in 2020.

Off-topic threads are a blight as they dilute the quality content that the DG otherwise enjoys. It is easy to discern who enjoys furthering the topic of golf course architecture versus promoting a personal agenda. People contend that a laissez-faire management style has been employed to run GCA for 20 years and I am happy to alter that in 2020 if people think that would be best. After two decades of organic growth, GCA’s voice is now heard around the world and we are in a great position to do good by disseminating useful information. Let’s not blow it. As always, I will be deleting threads in January, this time about 1,000 or so, that add minimal value going forward. Again, the DG is run with a view of maintaining a capped number of 50,000 threads, meaning we annually delete the weaker ones while preserving the best.

Speaking of poor form, there is my golf game. Doug Smith, local swing guru, has pinpointed the problem to … my swing. Yet, happily, for 20 years running I haven’t lost an 'official' match, meaning that my only real competition resides in North Korea. Shall we ever meet? I don't know but it would need to be on neutral ground (or is it common ground like Old Minchinhampton?!). However, there is someone in Cary, a loathsome creature void of redeeming qualities, with whom I was embroiled in seven 'unofficial’ matches  >:( that warrant no elaboration.  Rather, let's dwell on happy thoughts in this new year like the conquest below.

Was it my steely glare or the ruckus from the vessel ~2000 yards away that made this worthy opponent wilt?

On the local front, the conversation has increasingly become, 'What kind of match today?' What is meant is "Will we play with 8 or 9 or 10 clubs?” There is no doubt that such a set leaves gaps and necessitate some intermediate shots. Seven clubs are a bit draconian but limited sets herald more fun and interest than knowing you have a club for every shot. The Mid Pines Mafia along with many other kindred spirits like Chris Buie and myself seem to agree and our numbers are growing.

Another playing aspect that seems to be gaining momentum is the glory of dormant Bermuda grass. To play at Congaree, Ohoopee, Pinehurst No. 2, Dormie or Streamsong during the cold season is a supreme treat. Nothing screams 'this is a place run by golfers for golfers' louder than faded Bermuda. Winter has become a spectacular time of year to live and/or visit the southeast of the United States and its sand-based sites.

An impeccable playing surface: dormant Bermuda. Looking across the 7th green and down the ½ par 8th at Congaree.

As always, Joe, Ben and I beg people to share in-depth pieces. Fawning over the same few architects is wearisome when other architects offer a diversity greater than people realize. Avoiding the trap of stereotyping is a must. I recently played The Dunes in Myrtle Beach for the first time since they re-grassed their greens with Champion in 2013. The greens were as fast and as firm as any I saw all year and RTJ Sr's green contours shined. I was stunned to see how many balls hit ~20 feet into the green, only to depart the putting surface such as off the back right side of the 1st, the front to back contour at the 3rd or the soft sides that doomed one of us left off the 6th and right at the 7th. Add in several false fronts and these greens were both exacting and exciting. I have always been a huge admirer of RTJ Sr's early work and wish someone with more knowledge than me would contribute an IMO on the man who touched over 500 courses.

On the educational front, I remain enthralled by Peter Lewis's book, Why Are There Eighteen Holes?. In the early days, the Scots found ground that had interesting hazards and soil conducive to good golf. Whether there was enough room for 6, 8, 12, or 18 holes was immaterial. People routinely ask, 'Do you think 9-holers will gain acceptance in North America?' I don't know but I hope (!) that non-18 courses proliferate. The notion of building great holes on land well-suited for golf is hugely appealing, even if that means it becomes the world's greatest 5-hole course.

Where to this year? We just kicked off with a Feature Interview about Donald Ross and will soon add an IMO piece on William Flynn. The next two course profiles will be on Ballybunion and The Dormie Club. Then we head overseas for a Feature Interview in England for February. Restoration projects will play a major theme, and this year I am most keen to see the completion of the work started 20 years ago at Beverly CC.

Our journey continues, at least for most of us but sadly not for Rich Goodale and that's how I will remember 2019. For over 20 years, he provided great insight while simultaneously giving me grief about the 'cracking GCA search engine.'  I just instructed our hosting company to enhance our woeful search engine for a third time. Thank you to everyone who has made donations so that we can perform such upgrades. One donor asked to remain anonymous but suggested a pseudonym - see if you can guess it!
Hopefully, you feel as we do about GolfClubAtlas that it remains fun, educational and beneficial while forming tons of friendships along the way.

Less than 1% of the world's courses (call it 340 courses out of ~34,000) enjoy what I would loosely describe as 'great' architecture. Therefore, as they say on Wall Street, there is 'a huge addressable market' for courses that would benefit from better thought and care. GolfClubAtlas’s goal remains to give voice to all that is good and needed in architecture and in the process, point out that which is bad and unnecessary.

On we march.

Best wishes for a great year from,

Ben, Joe, and Ran
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:07:55 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Mike Sweeney

Re: Season greetings from Ben, Joe and Ran
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 06:16:09 PM »
Oops, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:35:32 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »
Ran,

Seasons Greetings and inspiring words.

Your dormant bermuda section made me think you need to go back to Cape Fear CC if you haven't been there in awhile.

Cheers.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 08:33:15 PM »
Thank you, Ran, for having the site. Though NLU and other sites have "architecture" discussions from time to time, it's the exception, not the rule. GCA remains the only site with a strong, steady stream of actual GCA discussions.

I've contributed a small bit each year, and did my 2020 contribution on January 1, and I'm not one to contribute just for the heck of it. Still have a family, still with a kid to put through college, still only a lowly PGA professional. So I don't support many sites, and GCA is on the very short list.

Happy holidays to all, good luck for a great 2020, and best wishes to all. Thank you, Ben, Joe, and Ran for what you do.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:24:44 AM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:27:22 AM »
Happy New Year guys and thanks for running this splendid website for us.
Atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »

Less than 1% of the world's courses (call it 340 courses out of ~34,000) enjoy what I would loosely describe as 'great' architecture. Therefore, as they say on Wall Street, there is 'a huge addressable market' for courses that would benefit from better thought and care. GolfClubAtlas’s goal remains to give voice to all that is good and needed in architecture and in the process, point out that which is bad and unnecessary.

Thanks for this annual message. A few comments:
  • Great hearing that you hope to participate more on the discussion group. When I look at course reviews, feature interviews, and the like, I understand why you spend most of your time on things like that. They are always enlightening and certainly more enduring than a quick discussion in the forum, but maybe an improved search engine will change that somewhat.
  • As for off-topic threads, maybe a brief time out for those that offend the most could be useful?
  • Dormant bermuda can be great. But it ruins the drone photos....
  • Sadly, most of us are much more geared towards quick comments than in depth writing. I agree that it adds a lot to the site and wish I were a better writer.
  • The world's greatest 5 hole course - that's something I would like to see. Like you, I think that if the land provides something special, why dilute it just to fit a conventional number?
  • GCA does remain fun, educational and beneficial. I'm often reminded how many people read but don't participate in the discussion group. The friendships formed among those that do have been golf-life changing for many of us.
Looking forward to another great year. I appreciate this site more than I can say.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »

• GCA does remain fun, educational and beneficial. I'm often reminded how many people read but don't participate in the discussion group.

The "chosen" few with logins drive the view stats on each thread...and...I can only wonder what the real page-view numbers are.  There's got to be a *lot* of views.  Good to keep in mind when you are posting: it's not just the tree-house reading your...um...content!
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
Thanks Ran, for another great year. I have not been as active recently as normal but regularly check the site to see what is going on. I'd like to recommend that folks go back and reread some of the IMO, Courses by Country, and Interviews. They are very instructive and a lot of fun.

AS for OT threads, some of them are helpful. Most do not detract from the main purpose of the the website.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 03:56:55 PM »
Thank you, and Happy New Year. I rarely regret the time I invest on GCA. All my best.

David Davis

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »
Happy New Year!

Ran, just one magical word for you reflecting perhaps your favorite course and most certainly your 148th Custodian - Dunaverty. It will forever shine in my mind as the ultimate matchplay venue. But yes, thanks for making GCA.com something special in this 50th year of operation.

I did, however, have the honor of again playing with a true gentleman this year and obvious star of the Golf Club Atlas trio  ;D [size=78%]. [/size]
[/size]
[/size]Joe, single handedly out performed our pro-am team (including the pro) at Esbjerg Golfclub in Denmark. Leading us to a strong second place finish just missing out on a wonderful chicken dinner but receiving the complete Danish wood oven pizza making kit weighing about 15 pounds. (not joking). What a champion! Unfortunately, due to weight restrictions my pizza baking kit couldn't make the trip home but found a safe and protected environment and caring home in Silkeborg.[size=78%]

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 10:21:34 PM »
If only I can play more rounds in 2020 while being disrupted by a Caledonian MacBrayne (CalMac) Ferry.

Ah, Heaven!!

Seasons Greetings right back!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:29:23 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Dan Smoot

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »
Excellent website.  I am more of a lurker than contributor due to my insecurity on this subject.  I have learned so much.  Read/Own some excellent GCA books that I never would have come across without coming here.  I value the kindness and responsiveness of the people contributing.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
As always, thank you Ran for bringing us all together. Sadly, as you say, several of our good friends are no longer with us... but, we are all better for having known them, no matter how briefly. As I grow older I realize this will be an ever increasing occurrence. So... to all... let those you appreciate know your thoughts and participate in gatherings whenever you can. Time is short. 

I’m glad to see my annual appeal for more participation by you is not needed as you have made a preemptive strike. Thank you!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back