News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-bradford-becken/

No better way to ring in a new decade than a Feature Interview regarding Donald Ross. And no one better person to do so than Bradford Becken. Brad is the current President of the Donald Ross Society and even more impressive, he is the only person that I know who has played every Ross course.

He completed that journey in 2018 and he played the majority of those 366 courses in the past decade, so he has ‘fresh eyes.’ I stay away from questions re: here in the Sandhills because that gets covered often by others. Rather, we use our time with Brad to bounce around to gain a better understanding of Ross’s full reach, including California, Canada and of course, up-state New York.

Based on Ross’s incomparable ability to route, he effortlessly produced courses in droves that are a delight. From household name courses that have hosted televised events to courses that any architect would kill for (Franklin Hills, Essex County, Mountain Ridge, Plainfield, Holston Hills, etc. ) to ones that I am still itching to see (Teugega, Longmeadow, Hyannisport, Misquamicut, Oak Hill West, Monroe, Barton Hills, Idle Hour), the list of Ross’s accomplishments go on and on. Let Brad via this Feature Interview act as your tour guide. What other architect’s roster is so deep?!

To think that Brad has seen all of them is impressive, especially going to the effort to visit the ones that likely are a few notches below those listed above. There is always something to be gleaned by traveling and seeing courses, even if the raw land wasn’t but so compelling or maybe time has been cruel. Still, a Ross course always fits the land so well that success was baked in at the start. My Southern Pines CC isn’t blessed with a lot of Ross features but the routing is so exemplary that I am 1000+ rounds deep in playing there and look forward to this afternoon’s 8 holes with Chris Buie as much as ever.

In reading this Interview, two other things stand out. One, Brad suggests that the hands-on Ross visited more sites than is generally thought and two, trying to stereotype Ross’s work is foolhardy. Brad lists some unusual features and takes the time to bust some myths. Also, give the Ross Society credit for its loud drumbeat for decades extolling the merits of Ross designs. Witness how non-Ross features are being unwound at some of his most heralded courses like Oak Hill East, Scioto, and Oakland Hills and how Inverness has been reinvigorated by what Andrew Green accomplished there.

Bottom line, it’s a great time to be a Ross fan as clubs now more than ever seem to understand that they should revere his work and treat it as a piece of art. In fact, that’s how Brad concludes the Feature Interview with these words of advice to clubs: ‘You have a precious work of art that should be preserved and/or restored. I also think in this challenging economic environment for many golf courses, being a Ross course is a real asset and competitive advantage. It is unusual to look at the website for a Ross club and not have the fact that Donald Ross designed the course highlighted. Also, please don’t change the routing of the course because 1% or fewer of your members can hit the ball a mile.’

Best,
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:15:47 PM by Ran Morrissett »

John Butler

Re: Feature Interview with Bradford Becken regarding Donald Ross
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:04:54 PM »
My thanks to Ran for choosing to interview Brad Becken.  I was Brad's predecessor as President of the Donald Ross Society.  The Society, founded in 1989, is very much alive and well today - the largest and most active of such architect societies.  Our board and membership benefit greatly from Brad's obviously extensive knowledge of Ross and his courses.  For those interested in knowing more about the Society, our website is rosssociety.org.  Ran and Brad, thank you for putting the time and effort into this great interview!

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
I appreciate Brad's kind words for White Bear YC!
H.P.S.

V_Halyard

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 08:04:37 PM »
Ran, thanks for showcasing an excellent warrior for the cause. Brad, thanks to you, as well as Steve, Pam and Chris at the DRS for wrangling, planning and hosting.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 12:46:18 AM »
What a great interview and add my respect for such a passionate journey.  I will read it again and much more carefully.  Sadly, I wish I'd read it twenty years ago when I was infected by the bug for exploring new (for me) courses purely for the pleasure of experiencing great works of landscape art.  I've lost that, along with my game and my aging, creaky body and know that those problems exist squarely between my ears.  However, in my modest travels, I don't think I've ever played a Ross course.  I've bounced a few exploratory bullets off some facsimile shooting gallery targets--playing Dornoch, strolling by his birthplace, admiring Newport as a tourist, and so on--but never actually buying a ticket and taking the ride.  I don't have many left, but surely I have to add this to the bucket list.  Put all that vanity aside and just do it.  I'm still capable of picking a course. but if Brad or any other of our esteemed colleges would favor me with a recommendation, I'd be eternally grateful.  No access required.  If I add it to my bucket list, I'll figure it out.  Yet, I can be bribed by somebody who can put me out with the Super and his dog.  I'd love to pay that one back.   

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »
A terrific interview.  Mr. Becken and I share two things:  we both have residences in Chapel Hill and both are members of Hope Valley.  One big point of departure: I have played 10 Ross courses so only 358 to go! 

One of the remarkable facts about the interview is that PH2 is not even mentioned.  What a tribute to the breadth and depth of the Ross roster of designs.  I believe there have been a couple relatively recent threads making the same point.

Ira

PS I agree with Mr. Becken that it would be great if Hope Valley is able to restore the greens and bunkers one day.  I have looked at the original Ross plans; the greens would be spectacular.  But as it is, Hope Valley is an excellent course.

Cob Carlson

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:34:54 PM »

What a tremendous odyssey by Mr. Becken.
[/size][/size]One great thing for all of us interested in the genius work of Donald Ross is the ongoing realization that there is always something new to learn about the man and his body of work.
[/size]
[/size]Fabulous insights from Brad. He and the rest of the gang at the Ross Society do yeoman's work. They were incredibly helpful and generous when I was in production on my Ross documentary, and their support since the film premiered has been steady and unwavering.
[/size]
[/size]Great stuff, Ran!
[/size]
[/size]

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:47 AM »
Ira, et al/

BB mentions PH2 in the first response. It's a casual reference, but it is mentioned.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 03:57:55 PM »
Great interview and congrats to Mr. Becken for continuing to run down the new ones as they are discovered.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 07:18:02 AM »
Amazing to think that he's seen all of those courses in only 9 or so years.

Shelly Jones

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
A fascinating interview and thanks again to Ran and Brad for the effort. Those of us who are members at Hope Valley are privileged to be able to play a wonderful gem.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back