News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_DeVries

Synthetic Turf Greens
« on: January 05, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
Looking for examples of synthetic turf greens on golf courses.  Do you know of a product that has been used for greens that accepts shots and works with regular grass fairways?  I have a potential project that may consider using artificial greens but bermuda everywhere else, due to poor water quality.  I am concerned about how the greens would play (this is not just a pitch and putt course or a backyard chipping/putting green, but a regulation golf course) and what the maintenance would be to keep them well conditioned.

Any thoughts or recommendations of products would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Synthetic Turf Greens
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:21:07 PM »
Mike-
  I worked with a Pine Tree member 4-5 years ago building a par 3 at their house. I’ll email you details of the supplier of the turf tomorrow
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:27:52 PM »
I saw an elaborate par-3 course with artificial turf greens in Asia a couple of years ago, and nine holes in Alaska as well.  They played "okay", but it wasn't like the conditions were better than mediocre turf.

How is the water okay for Bermuda fairways, but not for greens?

Doug_Nickels

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »
Mike,I have built several private practice areas using synthetic turf greens.  All the products were supplied by Synthetic Turf International.https://synthetic-turf.com.  They have an extensive product list with specifications.  The installer I was working with placed a rubber mat  under the turf to provide some cushioning for accepting longer shots.   As this was a few years ago I do not know how they have held up over time.

SB

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 03:00:31 PM »
You should definitely call Mike Riley.  Golf course architect that also sells synthetic greens on the side.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 04:33:21 PM »
Mike-
  I worked with a Pine Tree member 4-5 years ago building a par 3 at their house. I’ll email you details of the supplier of the turf tomorrow
Thanks, Tony!

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 04:35:43 PM »
I saw an elaborate par-3 course with artificial turf greens in Asia a couple of years ago, and nine holes in Alaska as well.  They played "okay", but it wasn't like the conditions were better than mediocre turf.

How is the water okay for Bermuda fairways, but not for greens?

That is what I am concerned about - just "okay" conditions. 

Extensive cooler periods means they would like to do bent greens for year-round performance.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »
Mike,I have built several private practice areas using synthetic turf greens.  All the products were supplied by Synthetic Turf International.https://synthetic-turf.com.  They have an extensive product list with specifications.  The installer I was working with placed a rubber mat  under the turf to provide some cushioning for accepting longer shots.   As this was a few years ago I do not know how they have held up over time.

Thanks, Doug!

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »
You should definitely call Mike Riley.  Golf course architect that also sells synthetic greens on the side.

Thanks!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
I've worked with Eddie Pelz, Dave's son, as an installer of Synlawn.
They are a regionally based installer, but have helped refine the product over the years - there are a number of reasons why I liked their turf.
You may have seen Dave Pelz's back yard.
One of their refinements was to better replicate accepting a shot.
I don't know if that is for a wedge vs. a 200 yard shot.

The hole installations are more or less permanent.
I wouldn't recommend artificial turf for a regulation course.
You would certainly need to take a strong lead as artificial guys aren't used to interesting surface contours.
Bumps are easier than concavity.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:41:39 PM »
Wouldn't this idea help golf with its water consumption  problem?  Making the game more environmentally acceptable?  And thus more politically acceptable?

Wouldn't greater market demand create a supply for a more creative product?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Greg Chambers

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 06:47:24 PM »
Wouldn't this idea help golf with its water consumption  problem?  Making the game more environmentally acceptable?  And thus more politically acceptable?

Artificial turf needs to be replaced on a regular basis, as it’s worn out by traffic and sun. And it can’t be disposed of. Not exactly environmentally acceptable.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 10:05:56 PM »

At $15-20 per sft 60 acres of installed turf could cost $39MM
Cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 01:10:28 AM »
Here in the Middle East we had considered replacing our par 4/5 tee boxes with artificial turf several years back.  Wasn't on the committee, but at the time it was a significant capital investment although don't know the details.  The par 3's staying grass was deemed important for playability and wanted to maintain that.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Brian Ross

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 08:52:16 AM »
Mike,

I built a four-hole short course outside San Antonio last fall and we used Celebrity Greens (based out of AZ but with an office in TX) for the tees and greens. The greens are surprisingly receptive as you can see if you check out the video in the the link below:

https://twitter.com/gatornational/status/1191442133422690304?s=21

I would recommend reaching out to Weston Weber with Celebrity Greens to see if he can give you some additional info.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »
Any thoughts on how practice on artificial turf translates to the course? 

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
Mike,

I built a four-hole short course outside San Antonio last fall and we used Celebrity Greens (based out of AZ but with an office in TX) for the tees and greens. The greens are surprisingly receptive as you can see if you check out the video in the the link below:

https://twitter.com/gatornational/status/1191442133422690304?s=21

I would recommend reaching out to Weston Weber with Celebrity Greens to see if he can give you some additional info.

Thanks, Brian!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
Any thoughts on how practice on artificial turf translates to the course?
Depends on the player. And the type of artificial turf.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »

Artificial turf needs to be replaced on a regular basis, as it’s worn out by traffic and sun. And it can’t be disposed of. Not exactly environmentally acceptable.
Just asking a question.  If there is no water, then no golf?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jeff Schley

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 12:49:08 PM »

It isn't recyclable at all?  Sounds like an Inconvenient Truth!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »
Jeff,

Don't know much in this area, but I agree that doesn't sound right.

http://artificialgreens.org/can-artificial-grass-be-recycled/

Mike Wagner

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
Looking for examples of synthetic turf greens on golf courses.  Do you know of a product that has been used for greens that accepts shots and works with regular grass fairways?  I have a potential project that may consider using artificial greens but bermuda everywhere else, due to poor water quality.  I am concerned about how the greens would play (this is not just a pitch and putt course or a backyard chipping/putting green, but a regulation golf course) and what the maintenance would be to keep them well conditioned.

Any thoughts or recommendations of products would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Check your PM

Jason Topp

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
This all synthetic par 3 course looks fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsPDOtjTHjc

Ben Stephens

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »
Mike,

Would a hybrid system work better? Has this been tried and tested for golf surfaces.

The Desso system is becoming more common in UK and Europe for Football, Rugby purposes and they have another system used for Hockey and Tennis.

http://www.dessosports.com

Cheers
Ben

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 04:27:48 PM »
Appreciate all the suggestions and help!  Thanks!

i have been in contact with Wes Weber and he really knows this subject and has been highly recommended by several.  The hybrid turf looks cool but is really for football/soccer type of fields and wouldn't be effective for golf, from what I saw.

Amazing how improved the products are from just 5, 10, 20 years ago.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back