News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Carey

PGA Tour leaving Trinity Forest
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:37:01 AM »
Disappointing

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/2020/01/12/pga-tour-says-att-byron-nelson-tournament-will-move-after-2020/

The article did not mention Maridoe but it’s built with big events in mind.

John Emerson

Re: PGA Tour leaving Trinity Forest
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:30:18 PM »
This is sad news, but I think I saw this coming.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »
It’s only sad that a charity could be dependent on fans of Matt Kuchar.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
Dang. Three years. That's not enough.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »
I think this news tells us little about whether a minimalist style golf course is acceptable to tour pros.  In a recent magazine article I read, Coore/Crenshaw were identified as the favorite current architects by the most current tour players.

It is a reminder of how many other factors go into a successful tournament venue.  The old venue was not much of a course but it was in a terrific location and attending the tournament was akin to going to a party with golf as a side attraction. I suspect it was tough to recreate that atmosphere or come up with a substitute at Trinity Forest. 

I would love to see them really firm up the course and play it as it was intended to be played for the last go round.

David Harshbarger

Re: PGA Tour leaving Trinity Forest New
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 02:30:02 PM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:10:47 AM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jim Hoak

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 02:34:18 PM »
It is sad, but it shows two things--
1)  PGA Tour golf is based around charities.  The Nelson, for all its past problems, was one of the leading generators of charitable dollars on the Tour.  With the difficulty of attending and staging the tournament at Trinity Forest, the charitable dollars were way off.  A lot of charities counted on these dollars.
2)  The Nelson has always had the problem of getting a good enough field of players to generate interest in a tournament.  When Byron could twist arms, they could get a passable field.  But now, and with some issues around the Trinity Forest course, the field was just not there.  This seems to be a problem of most of the "secondary" Tour events, that somehow the Tour needs to address--through required play every few years by players or whatever.  Otherwise they risk losing these tournaments.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:36:36 PM by Jim Hoak »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
A sad day indeed, but the signs were there from nearly the beginning.

There are some of us locally who really enjoy the course and applaud the attempt of doing something entirely different.  I've played the course three times with a variety of players, attended the Nelson last year for a few hours (followed Koepka  for maybe nine holes), and officiated one qualifier.  But for the high price to play, it is a course I'd like to play semi-regularly, which I can't say about other highly-ranked parkland courses in Texas.

I doubt that a more favorable date would have made a difference on net proceeds to the charity.  My impression is that the universal real estate principle  Location, Location, Location is at work here.  And for all the perceived shortcomings of the Four Seasons TPC course, a great many positives had to be responsible for the tournament's leading contributions to charity despite less than stellar fields.

With the exception of the sartorial judgment of the Salesmanship Club of Dallas, it is a group of committed people who know what they are doing.  I have it from good sources that the club was not enthusiastic about taking the tournament to a new course south of downtown, and I am sure that leaving after only three years was not something that it wanted to do.  As Jim Hoak notes, it is about the money that goes to charity and I take my hat off to the SCoD for being decisive about making an unpopular move.

Last week I received a call from a member at one of the top clubs in Dallas who had just finished playing TF.  He asked me to tell him why he liked the club so much.  As a member of a course that is the antithesis of TF, I noted that perhaps he liked the change of pace and that variety may be a large part of it.  He agreed, and though he is a mid-teens player, he said it was more than that- the freedom it invited to hit a variety of shots, more than a few that he had little chance to execute successfully, probably had more to do with his high opinion.

Something he said gave me pause to think that something big was happening- he repeated a rumor that "the bank" (actually an individual who has been a major mover for a few years in Dallas) had "forgiven" the debt.  I don't know if this is true, but if so, it sure would go a long ways in securing the future of the club.

Personally, I would like to see TF become more friendly (as in moderating its fees) with the locals and offering the course regularly for USGA and Texas Golf Association qualifiers and tournaments.  All the clubs in the Metroplex benefit from the many competitions offered and it would be good for everyone to spread the events around.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back