News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: "Getting to Eighteen" by Tom Doak
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2020, 06:01:14 AM »
My copy of the 'big book' arrived safely today. Thank you Tom! Very excited to get started on it.

Now I've just got to save up for the house extension to put it in!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Bill Brightly

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2020, 08:15:15 AM »
Sheep Ranch question: Did C & C use any of TD's original greens in their routing?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2020, 08:50:23 AM »
Sheep Ranch question: Did C & C use any of TD's original greens in their routing?

I don't know whether they changed the contours -- I would assume they did -- but greens A, B, E, H, I, and the one Don Placek called 'AKA' [because it was between A and K] are the locations for Bill's 14th, 6th, 16th, 2nd, 18th, and 4th greens, respectively.

Bill was kind enough to send along his routing for The Sheep Ranch for the book, and I analyzed the differences and the three things he did in the routing that we hadn't seen.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2020, 03:20:08 PM »
A large, heavy, flat package arrived by courier.
With great anticipation and enthusiasm I placed the package on a table and opened it.
Not only was there a most fascinating book inside but there was a spider as well!
Was it a Traverse City spider or a spider with a sense of adventure who had joined somewhere en-route?
I’m really not sure which, no time to question it, for it hopped off the table, raced across the floor and disappeared under a kitchen unit.
Did I attempt to find it? Hell no, I’ve a book to read!
 :) :) :)
Atb

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:21:51 PM by Thomas Dai »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »
As George Thomas bred roses, so does Tom Doak breed spiders. He is a low-key arachnologist. I'm making this up.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »
I think a big part of the challenge of such a book is what to leave out .....??
Pacific Dunes
Tom, could you discuss some of the issues that led to the double green at hole 9?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2020, 03:01:15 PM »
I think a big part of the challenge of such a book is what to leave out .....??
Pacific Dunes
Tom, could you discuss some of the issues that led to the double green at hole 9?

Sure.  [I call it an alternate green, not a double green which is a single green shared by two separate holes.]

The genesis of the hole is as a connector hole:  I had to find a way to get to the upper tee for #10, and access from the south was blocked by David Kidd's course being in the way.  So, I started with the upper green for #9, and looked back for a place to attack it from.  It had to come on the diagonal due to the series of ridges and valleys to the west, and it was less uphill if it came from the northwest, with the tee on a little knob.

I liked that hole a lot, for how the long hitter's tee shot would tend to run away to the left and leave him a blind second shot, requiring him to think about what he wanted to do.

Once we had the fairway cleared of gorse, my eye started being drawn down to the left by all the golfers passing by on the 7th hole at Bandon Dunes, and the thought occurred to me that it would only require a few more sprinkler heads to have an alternate green over there.  I was already thinking I wanted to have a lower, back tee for #10 to make the length as different from #11 as possible.  When Mr. Keiser came back to check on progress, when we got to the landing area on #9 I asked him which he preferred for a green site, and he pointed left, because he could see it better, even though he was much more of a fan of the upper tee for #10.

I liked the idea of alternate greens, because they would reward different tee shots.  With the hole on the right green, you want to hit a shot that holds against the R-L slope and stays up where you can see that green; but with the left green in play, the play from the tee is a big hook that will run down the slope.  I might not have chosen that if it was the play all the time, but for a half-time option, it was very appealing.  And the idea that I could tie the left green into the lower tee for #10, and the right green into the upper tee for #10, to make the walk easier for both options, was the clincher in deciding to build both.

When we built the lower green there were a couple of gorse bushes we left behind two of the bunkers to make them more frightening -- again, something I was emboldened to do because they would be in play only half the time.  But that was too much for Mr. Keiser's tastes and the bushes disappeared after a couple of years.  In fact, they stopped using the lower green altogether for a while, before I asked for it to be put back in the rotation.

PCCraig

« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2020, 05:06:20 PM »
Is anyone in the US still waiting for their copy?

I ordered a while back (January/February) but still waiting on mine. Maybe I'm in the last batch to go out?
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
Pat,

LOL< I just emailed his book division, because I ordered on Feb 13 and still no book.  You are not alone!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ken Fry

« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2020, 05:38:09 PM »
Pat & Jeff,
It's obviously done by popularity.  I just received mine end of last week.  At least I know I'm ahead of you two!
Ken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »
I sure have answered a lot of questions about when every customer is going to get their book!  Some of you whom I know, did not get yours yet, because I got behind on personalizing them and just numbered a bunch more of the first batch to get them out the door.

The final 1000 books were supposed to be delivered to my office today, but the local freight company balked and told us to expect them tomorrow, instead.  Highly frustrating, but we have no control over truckers.

So, I will start signing books again tomorrow night, and shipping on Thursday.  Again, if you're in the USA, you'll get a notification from FedEx when your book ships.  If you're overseas, they will come by air mail, and it will take 6-10 days depending on where you are.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2020, 07:49:57 PM »
I'm at the end of the line. Ordered Leap Day, I think.

Update: Arrived today, minutes ago. (Leap Day to Bastille Day.)

First impression: Wow!

Second impression: I have to buy an extra coffee table.

Kudos, Tom. Good reading ahead tonight and many nights to come!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:36:56 AM by Tim_Cronin »
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2020, 09:48:56 PM »
Poor Tom!

This reminds me of the Fry's Chocolate bar advertisement that ran in UK many moons ago.
Desperation.
Pacification.
Expectation.
Acclamation.
Realisation "It's Doak's book arrived!"

Cheers Col

"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

PCCraig

« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »
Appreciate the update Mr. Doak! Just looking forward to reading it whenever it gets here![size=78%] [/size]
H.P.S.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Yes, appreciate the update. Just played Pac Dunes again for first time in a few years and it was the first time I played to the lower green on 9 and the lower tee on 10. I like the lower green option because I hook the ball. Lol. What a wonderful course though. Birdied #13 for first time. Hit a 4 iron into a stiff breeze.

Can't wait for the book. Oh and played RCCC again and it was as great as I remember. A little more lush since they have had a lot of rain so some of the mounding was not kicking balls like it is intended, and the greens were really quick.
Mr Hurricane

Carl Rogers

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2020, 09:06:47 AM »
I am a little surprised that there has not been more threads - discussion about different  courses in the book.  I am going to to start one in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:10:03 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

jeffwarne

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »
Arrived Wednesday.
Wow

need a few days/weeks to digest
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
Arrived Wednesday.
Wow

need a few days/weeks to digest

Indeed,  mine arrived today just in time for the weekend. 

Can't wait!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »
Got mine, loved the inscription and can't wait for next volume to come out.

Saw the owner of Beechtree the other day and asked him if he had seen the book. He had not. I told him the chapter on Beechtree was very interesting. He is going to purchase a copy.

Great stuff though. Loved Bill Coore's Foreword.
Mr Hurricane

Tom_Doak

« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2020, 11:24:13 AM »
Got mine, loved the inscription and can't wait for next volume to come out.

Saw the owner of Beechtree the other day and asked him if he had seen the book. He had not. I told him the chapter on Beechtree was very interesting. He is going to purchase a copy.

Great stuff though. Loved Bill Coore's Foreword.

Jim:

I actually have a free copy of the book reserved for Mr. & Mrs. Knott -- but I had been unable to dig up their address so far.  If you have one, please forward to me, or tell them to reach me at doakgolf@aol.com

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2020, 06:46:07 PM »
Gentlemen,
Just in case there are any of the Australian contingent who have ordered the book I can see my copy started out in USPS Traverse City on July 15th. and has now, amid the coronavirus, straggled its way to the Chicago International Distribution Centre by 3:15 on the afternoon of the 10th. August!! All of 540 kilometres and only 14,354 kilometres to go!

Will USPS be used to mail voting mail-in application forms come November!?

Chuckling here, Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tom_Doak

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2020, 06:57:09 PM »

Will USPS be used to mail voting mail-in application forms come November!?

Chuckling here, Colin

That might be the most political question asked here all year 😮

Sorry to hear of your book's journey.  Others sent for Australia at the same time have started to arrive.

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2020, 09:51:56 PM »
Received my copy last week, hours before we heading east to New Brunswick, Canada. I can't think of a better read to share a two week quarantine period with than this work of art. I'm now on my third reading and still picking out valuable tidbits. Well done Tom. Its now resting on shelf space between my original tattered and torn "The World Atlas of Golf " and "Creating Classics" The Golf Courses of Harry Colt. A perfect summer hat-trick!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2020, 10:21:57 PM »
Just wanted to share my dedication from Tom:

"To a man's man, a legendary behemoth of a human being, a fellow whose muscular girth is matched only by the size of his heart. When songs are sung about this generation, a vast majority will be dedicated to him. He makes women and men alike, swoon with affection, attraction, and attention. Please be sure to give him this book."

I won't lie. I thought he was talking to me, until that last directive. Now I have to find this fellow.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2020, 10:56:25 PM »
Just wanted to share my dedication from Tom:

"To a man's man, a legendary behemoth of a human being, a fellow whose muscular girth is matched only by the size of his heart. When songs are sung about this generation, a vast majority will be dedicated to him. He makes women and men alike, swoon with affection, attraction, and attention. Please be sure to give him this book."

I won't lie. I thought he was talking to me, until that last directive. Now I have to find this fellow.

I see you got my book. PM me and I will send my address for shipping.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back