News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Royal Melbourne as it once was - photos
« on: December 23, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »
Below are a few old B&W photos of Royal Melbourne that have had some colour added to them.
Includes different course and clubhouse locations and folks involved in the clubs development.

Enjoy.
atb

The ship on which Alister MacKenzie travelled to Australia, the RMS Otranto.

1950 aerial

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 05:39:09 AM by Thomas Dai »

Kalen Braley

Re: Royal Melbourne as it once was - photo
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »
Thomas,

Looking at the ginormous cop in the first pic made me think of another Australian moment when comparing size... ;D

"That's not a knife....that's a KNIFE!"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8EbNN8NM

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
For those interested the clubhouse in the second photo is still standing in the middle of suburbia.  16 Turner st, Malvern East.

Worth a look on Google street view.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:53:17 AM »
Kalen Braley
There is still a large cop on #15 West (the par 5 on the other northern paddock).About 100 metres from the green.  It is a 'cross-cop'.
James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 03:31:17 AM »
James,

The top aerial it looks like 12 west green (in the bottom right corner of the photo) is still in its original position to the right.
On the bottom photo it looks like it's moved to the current position.

Luke Eipper

Re: Royal Melbourne as it once was - photos
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 06:24:32 AM »
Thomas, thanks for colourising these photographs. You've done an incredible job. It is really something to see vintage Royal Melbourne in colour.
Merry Christmas.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 06:32:10 AM »
Thomas-Thanks for taking the time to post these as well as the North Berwick photos. Fantastic!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »
Great stuff, Dai.
Did you do the Pebble Beach one featured on Geoff Shac’s site?
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 07:42:06 AM »
Great stuff, Dai.
Cheers,
F.

Marty-I was just looking at Shack’s site and won’t get sick of the old pictures of number 7 Pebble Beach no matter how many times I see them. I don’t know how practical it would be from a maintenance and pace of play stance but it looks glorious in it’s original form.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 08:10:33 AM »
Great stuff, Dai.
Cheers,
F.
I know the photo on Geoff S’s site you mention and in the distant past I’ve done a colour version of the same photo but mine is nothing like the quality of the one Geoff has shown. It seems to be a proper professional colour restoration. Mine are simple amateur versions!
I have a few other now coloured old b&w photos of various courses that I shall in time put onto individual threads.
Photos, plans, sketches and the like are important for historical etc reasons and collating and sharing them is a great way to try to prevent historical information from being lost or forgotten. Not just architecture but other aspects as well such as construction and maintenance. And preservation of ‘nows’ Information for the study and use by future generations is very important too. Such a shame we don’t have more details in collated formats stretching back through the Golden Age to the times Old Tom and Allan Robertson and Co at St Andrews etc.
Atb

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 11:34:08 PM »
Thanks so much for posting these. Really enjoyed seeing them.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ken Fry

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
Not sure if anyone else is having this issue but...
I can't see the photos!
I'm I doing something wrong??
Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back