News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Burr

Re: OT - Top 10 of non majors winners 1935 - 2010?
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2021, 11:09:09 AM »
I’m not questioning his place in this exercise, but Jerry Pate’s sadly curtailed career tracks very closely with BDC.  Pate won 8 titles by age 28, including the US Open and Players.  He also made a playoff at the ‘78 PGA and posted a third place in the Open Championship.  Before turning pro he won the US Am and was runner-up in the NCAAs.  At 27, BDC has 8 wins including a US Open, plus a US Am and the NCAAs.  Interestingly, BDC has only one other top 10 in a major besides his US Open, whereas Pate had 10 top 10s along with his title in ‘76.  What could have been but for the injuries...

V. Kmetz

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
I’m not questioning his place in this exercise, but Jerry Pate’s sadly curtailed career tracks very closely with BDC.  Pate won 8 titles by age 28, including the US Open and Players.  He also made a playoff at the ‘78 PGA and posted a third place in the Open Championship.  Before turning pro he won the US Am and was runner-up in the NCAAs.  At 27, BDC has 8 wins including a US Open, plus a US Am and the NCAAs.  Interestingly, BDC has only one other top 10 in a major besides his US Open, whereas Pate had 10 top 10s along with his title in ‘76.  What could have been but for the injuries...

So agree... it calls to mind the other aspect of improved performance reflected in the health medicine/special surgery advances (in all sports).  I mean you need look nowhere but Woods... he might've never gotten to Torrey in 2008...certainly not the recent back surgery comeback... So many of these wrists and backs and knees and elbows would've had us saying Pate-like things about so many players in the last 25 Woods-era years.

And as to this exercise, its brought me very in tune with appreciating the greatness of players, even as they perhaps rose one-time on the biggest stage, and how great they were/are even when they fall short of that one time.  It makes me remember that even the guy who misses the cut at a major, is PLAYING a major, and that likely means he was the hottest shit guy in his hometown or local region, probably his state and maybe in college... how hard it is to win a professional golf tournament at all, no less a major. I don't mean that like Jim Nantz or Dan Hicks or Terry Gannon; it's just the talent level is off the charts.

Trainwreck though he be, when we get to the 2x and Best 1x major winner comparisons later on, I hope it influences the board to marvel that John Daly won two majors and had a career, and is not just some Wild Bill story of yore, he was at Bethpage in a cart just two years ago!... that Angel Cabrera was smoking like a chimney while shot making like a Latin Minnesota Fats... and had a career. And Greg Norman...gawd, he's the Could Have Been Kid....
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Phil Burr

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »
The "hottest shit" you described is exactly an old friend of mine who dominated NoCal junior golf, played ahead of several later tour winners at BYU, set three course records while in high school, played in at least one US Open, yet never made it to the tour.  The difference between the tens of thousands of players who can consistently break par vs. the couple hundred who can make a living at it is impossible to comprehend.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2021, 03:55:01 PM »
These lase couple of posts draws parallels to the music industry. There are many bands and songwriters that are as talented as those that make it. However, those that can make a business out of their talent year after year versus all those that didn't is what determines the outcome, along with a certain amount of luck of course.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:02:11 PM by Thomas Dai »

V. Kmetz

« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »
I will start addressing more on this, and attendant lists, by and over this weekend... but I'm happy to take more input on which guys from the Least One Time list have achieved more distinction than players on the No Major List... see latest list post a few below.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Pete_Pittock

Re: OT - Top 10 of non majors winners 1935 - 2010? New
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2021, 08:50:55 PM »
Might be a player that moves from one list to the other. Only 2 of the top 10 prior winners
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:52:07 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back