News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

North Berwick as it once was - old photos
« on: December 21, 2019, 06:44:24 AM »
Here's a collection of old b&w photos of North Berwick now converted into colour.
Enjoy.
atb

The 'other' North Berwick - ie, East

MCirba

Re: North Berwick as it once was - old photos
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 07:52:20 AM »
Stunning.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 09:28:03 AM »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »
Thanks, Thomas.

This is probably wrong, but with the fancy hotel and the horseback riding and the fresh sea breezes, NB suddenly struck me as an early 'resort course' -- the design more interested in offering an engaging and enjoyable experience than a championship 'test'.   

Peter Flory

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 06:58:30 PM »
That Redan bunker with footprints looks like it would have been very fearsome. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
Stunning is right.

Always amazed seeing older pictures courses that look very similar to what they are now being played with rudimentary equipment and agronomy of the time.
Looks like a blast-and the courses look quite busy

Amazing to me how many comment that "golf" won't survive and be virtually impossible if there's a slight roll back towards such conditions to avoid further expansion and expense.

I've bought three different sets of beautiful persimmon woods in the past month off ebay.
I sure wish they had been this readily available and affordable 40 years ago.
I sure hit the center of those clubs more often than I do a modern waffle iron-"aim small miss small" I guess
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 08:17:20 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 07:49:30 AM »

Fantastic work Thomas.  I have lots of old postcards form NB but haven't seen many of yours.

I can recall reading before but looks it to me that the common 1st and 18th fairway featured a large hollow right n the centre. In the first picture, although the camera is positioned much higher, it looks like a man is only just visible in it?

Today there is still a ridge but it plays much smoother. It seems that with this hazard both holes had to be played much closer to OOB than today? Although these would be more challenging shots, H&S and practicality means we'll never see it reinstated. Same goes for the sandy horse track/path which appears to be sited further along the road (on 18), making it far more of a hazard - even more so on 1.

I think these two date from the era when 17 used today's first green (and visa versa)?

The centre line hollow would have likely favoured both as L_R Doglegs with OOB on the opposite sides to the changed layout?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:59:34 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »
ATB,

Thanks for providing this stunning glimpse into the past! Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Especially resizing all the photos; no tedious scrolling necessary!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 05:28:35 AM »
When I first played the course the pit shy of the sharp incline to the first green was a sandy waste with bits of grass etc sprouting through. It would be something to recreate this area with the sandy paths in front of 18 tee, 17 green and 2 tee.

Thanks for your efforts ATB.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Simon Holt

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 05:49:21 AM »
Sean,

I agree and at the same time I'm just happy to have one long continuous bunker in front of 17, rather than the proposed spilt one the club tried to push through earlier this year.

A few years ago there was a huge sand blow from the beach across the first fairway.  The depression in front of the first green was full of sand like a blowout bunker, as well as the area you describe over the path being completely covered in sand.  It looked awesome.

When I first started playing the course as a kid in 1995, until about 2010, you went over the path at your peril.  It was a sketchy lie at best, with an awkward half shot, blind onto a downslope and was really to be avoided.  Now people fire away with driver knowing mostly that there is no chance of them reaching the green but also they'll get a half decent lie before the hill so not as difficult a pitch as days gone by.

I still think it's a good first hole.  Given the course is from an era of no warm-up, it was a gentle opener that allowed you to ease into the round before facing the stout run of 2, 3 and 4.  If you look at the stats on Howdidido after a Medal, it's always in the top half of difficult holes; maybe because people are cold but I think more to do with the pin usually being on the upper half of the green which means plenty of 3 jabs.  For a 320ish par 4 to play in the top 9 hardest holes without being contrived, it says something about it's quality as a standalone hole.

All the best for 2020.

Simon

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 07:02:41 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words.
Old photos do tend to open up rabbit holes to explore and discuss and colouring old b&w photos sometimes, but not always, highlights features that may otherwise be missed.
It’s also important as well to collect and collate such photos for the benefit of future enthusiasts, historians etc.
Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 05:14:24 AM »
Came across this old b&w photo of the 13th at NB-W recently and added a bit of colour to it.
Seems somewhat different to these days.
Love the gates. :)

Enjoy.
atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 05:36:43 AM »
Have you got a present day shot from the same angle, David? Be good to see what has changed. Too long since I’ve been there.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 06:28:09 AM »
Have you got a present day shot from the same angle, David? Be good to see what has changed. Too long since I’ve been there.

Here is our man Niall in a spot of bother circa March 2018.

I would like to see the green extended for a nasty front hole location which brings the beach seriously into play.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:55:11 AM by Sean_A »

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 05:15:48 AM »
Spot of bother !!!! You'll be hearing from my lawyers............apologies, I came over all Pat Ruddy there. Actually, for those that are interested I placed my ball expertly so I was pitching up the length of the green, honest.

As an aside, do you note in the photos of the golfers putting on the Point Garry green on what looks to be the section used for the first green, that the flagstick says 17. How would you fancy going for that green in two off the 17th tee ?

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 06:35:31 AM »
Spot of bother !!!! You'll be hearing from my lawyers............apologies, I came over all Pat Ruddy there. Actually, for those that are interested I placed my ball expertly so I was pitching up the length of the green, honest.

As an aside, do you note in the photos of the golfers putting on the Point Garry green on what looks to be the section used for the first green, that the flagstick says 17. How would you fancy going for that green in two off the 17th tee ?

Niall

Yes, the greens were reversed back in the day....absolutely nuts.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back