News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Mickle

Southern Pines Golf Club
« on: December 19, 2019, 12:18:11 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:20:23 PM by Jay Mickle »
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Ronald Montesano

Re: Southern Pines Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »
In truth, this course (and the wee nine I haven't played) and Mid Pines are my favorites in the area. If I travel to the region, I would play ToeRoad, SoPines, MiPines and (just to see the restoration) Pine Needles. I'd go to Dormie if available, but would feel absolutely no need (as spectacular a land as it is) to set foot on the resort property.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »
Jay,

I had debated about starting a thread since I heard the news a couple of weeks ago.  I held back since it was not public and thus my comments would be premature.  Now that it is in the Pilot...Game On!!

Southern Pines is a golf course I love dearly.  I think it has the most interesting topography of any of the courses in the area and the routing of the golf course on that property is sublime. 

The line on SPGC has always been "man, if this place had a couple extra million..."  The general assumption is to get rid of the cart paths, the abandoned/falling down structures, clear out a few thousand trees to increase turf quality in those areas and open up a few site lines and renovate/restore all of the bunkers to reclaim green space and give it a better aesthetic and playing quality.

I have never heard one person say the greens should be redone.  Although many if not all are not Ross original (I have Chris Buie's new book on order), it is nonetheless a wonderful set of BENT GRASS greens that are almost always in playable to great conditions. 

The work at MidPines and Pine Needles has been great.  However, the "new" greens at Mid Pines are still rock hard and very grainy and the Pine Needles "new" bermuda greens are slightly more receptive but also very grainy.  It would be a damn shame if they took the Southern Pines greens to bermuda (several of those holes couldnt hold approach shots with turf has hard as Mid Pines).

Id rather keep paying $80 to play the existing course than pay $200 to play a "restored" golf course with bermuda greens.

I couldn't be more excited to see SPGC get some new wind behind it, I just hope its blowing in the right directions.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 04:58:56 PM »
On my Sandhills trips, I have played MP, PN, TR, Domie & SP, I never thought SP was a second tier option .... just a real good course without all the whistles and bells.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 05:04:40 PM »
Jay,

I had debated about starting a thread since I heard the news a couple of weeks ago.  I held back since it was not public and thus my comments would be premature.  Now that it is in the Pilot...Game On!!

Southern Pines is a golf course I love dearly.  I think it has the most interesting topography of any of the courses in the area and the routing of the golf course on that property is sublime. 

The line on SPGC has always been "man, if this place had a couple extra million..."  The general assumption is to get rid of the cart paths, the abandoned/falling down structures, clear out a few thousand trees to increase turf quality in those areas and open up a few site lines and renovate/restore all of the bunkers to reclaim green space and give it a better aesthetic and playing quality.

I have never heard one person say the greens should be redone.  Although many if not all are not Ross original (I have Chris Buie's new book on order), it is nonetheless a wonderful set of BENT GRASS greens that are almost always in playable to great conditions. 

The work at MidPines and Pine Needles has been great.  However, the "new" greens at Mid Pines are still rock hard and very grainy and the Pine Needles "new" bermuda greens are slightly more receptive but also very grainy.  It would be a damn shame if they took the Southern Pines greens to bermuda (several of those holes couldnt hold approach shots with turf has hard as Mid Pines).

Id rather keep paying $80 to play the existing course than pay $200 to play a "restored" golf course with bermuda greens.

I couldn't be more excited to see SPGC get some new wind behind it, I just hope its blowing in the right directions.
JC,

On this one, we agree completely.  I would hate to see Southern Pines regrass the greens because too much contour and interest would be lost, OR too many interesting pin positions would be unplayable. 

My hope going forward is that whatever is done is done slowly, after MUCH consideration, and after much consultation with design people who really understand the implications of changing the greens.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jason Thompson

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 01:19:56 PM »
This development has me at the same time semi-excited and semi-terrified.

Several times I've walked SPGC and thought it's the best combination of value, design, and fun in the area. It's a great opportunity to play a wonderful track for a reasonable price, not to mention being walkable and not surrounded by McMansions. Nearly every time I bring it up with visiting golfers however I'm met with a blank stare and/or dismissive look.

I've often thought about how great it could be if the same fantastic renovation work that's been done on #4 and Mid Pines could be brought to SPGC, but at the same time been slightly concerned about losing its hidden gem, imperfect, and affordable status.

While I have zero knowledge of the club's finances, I'm guessing they're not selling because they're killing it and swimming in $$$. I suppose it's ultimately a good thing if this sale goes through, even if it ends up that golfers have to pay similar rates that they do at Mid Pines/Pine Needles. I hate saying that because I dislike relative unaffordable golf as much as anyone, but I dislike the idea of losing a track like SPGC due to lack of financing much more.

Cob Carlson

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
I included some still pictures of the course in my Donald Ross documentary. I know that both Ran and Chris love the course because of its routing. So do I. A beautiful course to play and walk. A great starting hole and #16 is seared into my brain as a fabulous short par 4. Loved the Elks Club down home vibe. I have told countless folks that they MUST play it when visiting the Pinehurst area.

Hope the place will hold on to its economical charm.

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 09:32:54 PM »
 8)  First played The Elks in spring of 1980 and we always started our Golf Carolina tour week there on Sunday, with 2-3 rounds, probably played it 50 times over 25 years or so.  it was a very enjoyable ritual.  Having seen it in good and bad times, I'm hopeful that the new owners have its best interests at heart, and it will carry on in good form.  Hate to see the little 9 disappear, I always thought it was a laboratory for Ross to test his ideas...

Need to see it again!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Peter Gannon

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 01:21:35 PM »
This seems like great news, as a visitor. Seems it could have fallen into non golfing hands.  My two cents; if they tied it in with the Mid Pines/Pine Needles courses, while keeping it a more local option, with reasonable upgrades, seems like a great result.

I played it once, and loved it.  Interesting, strategic, fun, beautiful walk.  I loved the views of "ghost holes" seeming to follow my round, and set the imagination on fire on what they were, and could be.  I had to research more about them after the round!

I played Lawsonia Links earlier this year, and the vibe and feeling of history of the place felt similar.  Excited to play it again on a next visit to the Sand Hills! 

Matt Wharton

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 10:16:41 AM »
Jay,

I cannot believe I'm agreeing with Jason Jones  ;D  but I do.  I first experienced Southern Pines in the summer of 2008 as we were nearing completion of our 4-year renovation/restoration of Carolina Golf Club.  I had taken the opportunity during our project to experience several recently renovated/restored Ross courses in NC (Grove Park, Mimosa Hills, Forsyth and Sedgefield) prior to playing SP.  The first thought I had while playing SP was, "How cool would it be if Kris Spence restored this place!"  And I've held that thought for over a decade.  I recently said on Twitter I believe SP is more than good bones, I believe it is one of DJR's best and it deserves a proper restoration. 

Having said that, I too fear what may happen to the gem if the greens are converted and the wonderful contours are softened to accommodate.  Definitely a conundrum.  I knew the previous super, Brook Vickery quite well.  I have not met the current super, Matt Hunsucker, but I'm certain he will be happy to see the facility and infrastructure upgraded, that is long overdue.  Definitely a special piece of property.  My fingers are crossed!
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 05:45:23 PM »
I can’t imagine a much better membership than having your pick of Southern Pines, Mid Pines and Pine Needles. Hope the deal happens as it seems both parties have the right intentions and realize how important the golf course and surrounds are to the area and game itself.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
I'm playing at Southern Pines tomorrow.  I've been there a half dozen times or so over the years; always a treat if you love golf courses, even when the conditions have been scruffy. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 06:33:05 AM »
I'm playing at Southern Pines tomorrow.  I've been there a half dozen times or so over the years; always a treat if you love golf courses, even when the conditions have been scruffy.

A.G.-Conditions are good. Enjoy!!!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »

A.G.-Conditions are good. Enjoy!!!!
Tim,You are so right; the conditions were great!  After playing on clay-based mud for the last couple of months, going to the Sandhills with overseeded fairways was just wonderful.  And I think the greens were the best that I've ever seen them.  We had a great day in every respect.

I asked in the Pro Shop, and I think the only thing they "know" for sure about the sale right now is that the SP members would be protected for 5 years.  Whether or not there would be reciprocal privileges with the other two courses, or if there would be one membership, all seems to be TBD, or is at least unknown to the membership at this point.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 02:49:59 PM »
Mid Pines/Pine Needles are good custodians of the game. I would expect them to be a good custodian of SP as well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
Mid Pines/Pine Needles are good custodians of the game. I would expect them to be a good custodian of SP as well.

+1

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back