News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Access Request - weird story
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »
Why even respond to such a request? What am I missing?

I doubt that Ian even told the kid that he wasn’t a member of CGC. Stolen Valor!!!

JC,

Jeff was the first guy I knew to wear Johnny O. He was a true influencer.

Your doubt is as misplaced as your intentions.
Now, back under the bridge you go...melba toast and Sanka is being served at lunch today to all trolls.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »
I don't know I'd allow someone I don't know (or know through someone who's supplied some sort of reference) out with me to play.  While it hasn't occurred often, I was called a few times in the past over the actions of my unaccompanied guests.

I agree with the last bit.  It's one thing to offer some of your own time for someone you don't know.  It's quite another to ask a third party to do that, on behalf of someone you don't know, or even someone you do know.  That's why I have trouble with all of the access requests to Crystal Downs -- because I'm not going to pawn them off onto Mike DeVries, or another member, if I can't be there in person to host   :D

John Emerson

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
Do you carry a Chicago Golf Club golf bag? Before this thread carrying a golf bag from a club where you are not a member was the most egregious example of Stolen Valor that I had seen. Somehow, somewhere this kids friend of a friend thought you were a member of a club where you are not. It happens to me from time to time and is always interesting to find out why.

Would someone seriously carry a bag with a logo of a club to which they didn’t belong?

I think we both know the answer to that question. I am leading up to a serious Stolen Valor question myself. At the end of this year I will no longer be a member of Prairie Dunes and over half the shirts I wear on a daily basis, and one headcover and my Yeti cooler from which I go from coffee to Bloody Mary every morning sports their logo. Yea, and even my original leather Mackenzie bag has a yucca plant on its side. Ouch.

I suppose that being an ex-member in good standing gives me certain rights but it will never be the same.

Stolen Valor????!  You can’t be serious?  So what about all the NFL AND MLB jersey sales?  Is that stolen valor too since they’re not a member of the team?  Or what about any item ever sold with a copyrighted emblem on it?  That’s ridiculous and pompous.  That’s the type attitude that makes golf look awful!
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

JC Jones

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
Do you carry a Chicago Golf Club golf bag? Before this thread carrying a golf bag from a club where you are not a member was the most egregious example of Stolen Valor that I had seen. Somehow, somewhere this kids friend of a friend thought you were a member of a club where you are not. It happens to me from time to time and is always interesting to find out why.

Would someone seriously carry a bag with a logo of a club to which they didn’t belong?

I think we both know the answer to that question. I am leading up to a serious Stolen Valor question myself. At the end of this year I will no longer be a member of Prairie Dunes and over half the shirts I wear on a daily basis, and one headcover and my Yeti cooler from which I go from coffee to Bloody Mary every morning sports their logo. Yea, and even my original leather Mackenzie bag has a yucca plant on its side. Ouch.

I suppose that being an ex-member in good standing gives me certain rights but it will never be the same.

Stolen Valor? ??? !  You can’t be serious?  So what about all the NFL AND MLB jersey sales?  Is that stolen valor too since they’re not a member of the team?  Or what about any item ever sold with a copyrighted emblem on it?  That’s ridiculous and pompous.  That’s the type attitude that makes golf look awful!

Do grown men wear jerseys?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2019, 12:40:19 PM »

My guess, Tom, is that your letter to the club presidents had just a bit more meat on it than an access request...;-)

Student at Cornell, studying architecture, lived in St. Andrews, etc...may I please come and walk your hallowed grounds...?

It's a far cry from what I ran into which amounted to: Hey, I don't know you, but my dad and I are on a quest to play the top 25 and was wondering if you could hook us up...?

He thought I was a member at CGC. I am not and have never pretended to be. I told him I was not and offered more that, as far as I knew, CGC planned to be closed next summer anyway.

I also could imagine me being that kid years ago and having pure intentions, but misplaced efforts. So, yes, I was empathetic and somewhat surprised when he replied that he was having some success.

My original question still stands: Does this happen a lot to members of "top 25 courses"? (Cold calls I mean. Friendly referrals are one thing, but out of the blue...?)

Has it happened to anyone here?

Honestly, for many years, it amazed me that so many busy people would make some time for someone they didn't know.

Nowadays, it amazes me more that some people won't.   :(

I understand that people need to have some boundaries, and that someone's quest to play the top 25 or top 100 is not really a "good cause".   That's one of the things that bothers me about many of the course rating panelists, that they seem to just be using it as a means of personal gratification.  They don't talk about what they are learning from the experience, they talk about what an expert they are now.  They aren't giving anything back to golf.

John Emerson

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »

Stolen Valor? ??? !  You can’t be serious?  So what about all the NFL AND MLB jersey sales?  Is that stolen valor too since they’re not a member of the team?  Or what about any item ever sold with a copyrighted emblem on it?  That’s ridiculous and pompous.  That’s the type attitude that makes golf look awful!

Do grown men wear jerseys?

Doubt it...oh wait it’s a billion dollar business
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Daryl David

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2019, 12:52:06 PM »
You gotta love GCA. Four pages in 24 hours on an access question.  ;D

Jeff Schley

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
In about 24 hours to!  Impressive huh?  ;)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Lapper

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2019, 12:55:59 PM »

You mean like the guy who graces these pages (and others) and carries a Cypress Point McKenzie bag??
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JC Jones

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »

You mean like the guy who graces these pages (and others) and carries a Cypress Point McKenzie bag??

;D ;D ;D ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

JC Jones

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »

cabin fever is a real thing

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »
I think that we can all agree that for every person that asks us if we are a member of a club because of a logo we are sporting another ten people don't. As soon as even one of those people assume we are a member we have Stolen Valor.

I recently played Islesworth and wore my newest best shirt from MPCC. The logo is unrecognizable in most circles but not that day. I suppose my ego got a bump when who turned out to be a former president of Disney World gave me a heads up. I shouldn't have bought the shirt but was weak after such a great day. Turns out my biggest mistake was not wearing my Tara Iti shirt when playing MPCC. My playing partners were all excited about flying out the the member/guest. I could have been the bell of the ball.

JMEvensky

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »

Walked into the grocery yesterday wearing a Yankee cap and 4 people asked me for tickets to the next Red Sox series.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
 :D
Oh, it's endless, Jeff.
I had my clarinet on the way to the repair shop and two people asked me to play "Begin the Beguine".  And one of them was a lady!
Another time I was wearing my favorite cardigan and people kept shouting "Won't you be my neighbour?" from passing cars.
On the other hand, I wore my one golf memento -- a cap from Crystal Downs -- for years and years, everywhere I played cause I thought I looked so nice in it, and not one single person ever asked if I was a member. I must not look the part. Silly people: don't they understand 'slumming'?   

Rob Marshall

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2019, 01:39:25 PM »
This thread make me miss Pat Mucci.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »

Walked into the grocery yesterday wearing a Yankee cap and 4 people asked me for tickets to the next Red Sox series.

Oh that's nothing. I went to the gym with my Nike Bron gear and everyone was asking me if I could arrange to meet him.

Pity, I'll have to throw it all away in the name of Stolen Valor!

Eric Smith

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2019, 02:06:46 PM »
How many times is Ian going to call John a troll? 50? 100? Fun.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2019, 03:13:00 PM »
Barney,

I thought the term sounded familiar..."Stolen Valor"...so i looked it up.

I find it both amusing and not surprising that you use it completely out of context, just like being "woke". In this case it specifically applies to those impersonating a military member, and there is even a law governing it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2013.  Congratulations on trivializing our nations bravest and finest!

Eric Smith

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »
Kalen ever heard of Comedy Central?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »
How many times is Ian going to call John a troll? 50? 100? Fun.

And here I thought that Troll was John's middle name.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2019, 04:08:14 PM »
It is uncommon for me to get strokes from someone very clever. Ian can give me two a side and call me names all day long. I'll even make the trek up to Glen View for the match. Just tell me where to turn at the water tower shaped like a golf ball.

David Davis

« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »

Thanks for noticing! I'm flattered. A guy can always have dreams. In fact, it's the best damn golf related gift I've ever received and I absolutely love it.

Oh wait, I guess I should hang it on a wall because a couple guys I have never met don't approve. Hilarious!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2019, 04:52:14 PM »
It is uncommon for me to get strokes from someone very clever. Ian can give me two a side and call me names all day long. I'll even make the trek up to Glen View for the match. Just tell me where to turn at the water tower shaped like a golf ball.

As long as you play fast, JK, you are welcome to play with me anytime....;-)
No water tower here. Just perhaps a room dedicated to Chick Evans (his home club) and a couple of our past pros who won majors.

But, you might have to ditch that Orlando Magic wife-beater with the mustard stain on it for a collared shirt.

You sure about two a side...?
I'll take that bet.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2019, 04:56:10 PM »

As long as you play fast, JK, you are welcome to play with me anytime....;-)
No water tower here. Just perhaps a room dedicated to Chick Evans (his home club) and a couple of our past pros who won majors.

But, you might have to ditch that Orlando Magic wife-beater with the mustard stain on it for a collared shirt.

You sure about two a side...?
I'll take that bet.

Sure it took a bit of work but the above is a lesson on gaining access.

David Davis

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Ian,

Given my location, which is off the beaten track in terms of golf destinations, for the past 10 years when someone was crazy enough to travel here for golf and they contact me I always try to help them, whether I know them or not. I also try to help them with other clubs that are part of our Old 9 clubs in The Netherlands. I've always thought it's the least I can do given I've often been the recipient of others kindness, camaraderie and generosity when traveling abroad.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back