News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Access Request - weird story
« on: December 16, 2019, 12:05:54 PM »
It was otherwise unremarkable winter day here in Chicago yesterday until I received a bizarre email that began a truly surreal exchange with a young man whom I have never met or heard of before. He claims he received my contact info from a "friend of a friend:

"Hi Ian, I hope you are doing well. I wanted to reach out to see if you would be willing to host my father and I to XXXX Club next summer. I would be willing to cover all the expenses from the outing (guest fees, your caddy gratuity, lunch, etc), so there would be no cost to you. Over the past several years my dad and I have had an annual ritual of playing several of the top ranked golf courses around North America (see below), and would love the opportunity to experience XXXX as well. "

I admit to being a bit surprised by the brazen approach. I also admit to being somewhat sympathetic.So, I opted to counsel him on a better approach while letting him know that most clubs have a strict policy against this type of thing. I also encourage him to go w to Scotland where golf was more interesting, less expensive and FAR more inclusive.(His provided list of played courses included mostly resorts with one private course.)

His next reply is what floored me:

"I appreciate your responses however, I would say your expectations of others generosity is incorrect. I've contacted a few other members at other highly exclusive US clubs and have been fortunately welcomed. My goal is to play the top 25 golf courses in the US with my dad and thankfully only need one member at each to provide the invite."

My question to you here is...does this really happen today?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:09:16 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

John Sabino

Re: Access Request - weird story
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »
Ian - very bizarre indeed. I would say he is not being entirely truthful when he is telling you that he was "welcomed" by other clubs. This is a cold call approach and should be treated as you would a robo call, that is, ignore it.

My experience asking to play scores of courses around the world is that this NEVER works. You need to know someone and develop a relationship before asking. I got a similar email over the weekend where the sender was asking if he could use my contacts to get a tee time at Augusta, Cypress, National or Chicago (I kid you not). I felt like replying, "no problem, what time would you like to play?" but didn't.

John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »
What is the policy against taking someone who asked you for access to your club? Is it that he is buying lunch and paying your caddie?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »
What is the policy against taking someone who asked you for access to your club? Is it that he is buying lunch and paying your caddie?

If you have to ask the question, then it's clear that you don't understand...;-)

And I have learned years ago that it is energy poorly spent bantering with you on inane manners.
Move along now and stop hi-jacking someone else's thread... ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
I've had people most of my life ask me to take them out to where I play and I have never used the excuse that it is against policy. I was just wondering if you had a point or were just reminding us once again that you are a member of a top 25 club.

George Smiltins

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »

While I personally wouldn't make such a brazen request unless someone put out a "happy to host" vibe on the site here or elsewhere on social media, I think the Instagram world is starting to make people feel more informed about and excited to see courses which in previous eras might seem off limits.

I agree that the emphasis in the request on playing top rated courses is a bit gauche. Would much rather see the requester gushing about the architectural merits of the place, and give a little more reasoning behind the ask than that he's a just a list chaser.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:40:15 PM by George Smiltins »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 12:41:49 PM »
I've had people most of my life ask me to take them out to where I play and I have never used the excuse that it is against policy. I was just wondering if you had a point or were just reminding us once again that you are a member of a top 25 club.

1. I am NOT a member of a Top 25 club.

2. MOST clubs forbid the "sale" of tee times by members. That's what this dude was asking. Not, "hey, would be great to get to know you over a round of golf and lunch." No, it's I'll pay you to take us. If the policy was ok, then members could sell tee times online.

Ok, JK, now back under the bridge you go...nice try.... ;D ...it's almost lunch time.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »
If all this kid was doing was asking a member of Glen View Club to take out him and his father "at no expense to you" then you overreacted. I see that all charges must be made to a members account. The idea that you are not permitted to be reimbursed for your expenses is foreign to me. Didn't the Scots invent this game?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 12:59:24 PM »
If all this kid was doing was asking a member of Glen View Club to take out him and his father "at no expense to you" then you overreacted. I see that all charges must be made to a members account. The idea that you are not permitted to be reimbursed for your expenses is foreign to me. Didn't the Scots invent this game?

when you begin a discourse based on incorrect assumptions,John, you just never really ever get on track or make any sense.
Let it go. Spit it out. Turn on the TV and watch women discussing Xmas recipes.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »
Since I've began spending most of my time in Orlando I get many more requests like this then when I was in Indiana. I can only hope that threads like yours don't discourage other people who love the game from making a simple request to play "at no expense to you".

I am fully aware of instances where members sell tee times for profit. This young man made no such offer and did not deserve first private and now public humiliation.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »
This is basically the Thousand Greens model of access, where you have to be a member of a similar tiered private club and then request away. Works well IMO and you don't have to approach your club pro much of the time anymore, make a golf buddy and also you fully reimburse your host for guest fees etc.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »
Since I've began spending most of my time in Orlando I get many more requests like this then when I was in Indiana. I can only hope that threads like yours don't discourage other people who love the game from making a simple request to play "at no expense to you".

I am fully aware of instances where members sell tee times for profit. This young man made no such offer and did not deserve first private and now public humiliation.

Wel, well...I cant count the number of errors in your responses. I was VERY helpful to the guy who wrote to me and also told him of a better path to take. I am hardly outing him here as the only identifying mark is "young man"....

If he did that here, he would be flamed as an "access whore". Hey, playing "Celebration Golf and Tennis Club" in Orlando may be a worthwhile "ask" for many. But, in this case and not in your hypothetical one, the subject of the post is intent on playing the nations' "Top 25" and nowhere does he mention fourth decile clubs in Central Florida.

My question remains: Does this really happen and is it widespread?

Happy trolling, JK...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »
I received an email from a member of this site who asked me to get him on a prestigious club in DC. I didn’t know him. He figured the club of which I was a member had reciprocity, which it did. He had no interest in my club because he was playing all the clubs have hosted opens.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:19:29 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »
This is basically the Thousand Greens model of access, where you have to be a member of a similar tiered private club and then request away. Works well IMO and you don't have to approach your club pro much of the time anymore, make a golf buddy and also you fully reimburse your host for guest fees etc.

This is nothing like Thousand Greens. There is no quid pro quo involved. The kid is asking for access and not offering access in return.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »

This is nothing like Thousand Greens. There is no quid pro quo involved. The kid is asking for access and not offering access in return.
He is offering to pay his fees, just like in 1KG. There is no reciprocity needed or expected with each request it is totally voluntary to accept requests. The token system requires people to either post and offer or actually host someone to keep the balance.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »
I want nothing! I want nothing!

No quid pro quo!!!

Oops...sorry...wrong thread.  :P
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 01:42:21 PM »

He is offering to pay his fees, just like in 1KG. There is no reciprocity needed or expected with each request it is totally voluntary to accept requests. The token system requires people to either post and offer or actually host someone to keep the balance.

When someone signs up for Thousand Greens they do so knowing that they are selling access to their club in return for them gaining access to other clubs. This kid offered nothing in return for him and his Dad playing what isn't even a top 25 club. I am completely confused why he even contacted Ian in the first place if that was his goal. Wouldn't it be interesting if the kid was mistakenly asking for access to a club where Ian isn't a member. Let's see the unredacted email!!!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »

When someone signs up for Thousand Greens they do so knowing that they are selling access to their club in return for them gaining access to other clubs. This kid offered nothing in return for him and his Dad playing what isn't even a top 25 club. I am completely confused why he even contacted Ian in the first place if that was his goal. Wouldn't it be interesting if the kid was mistakenly asking for access to a club where Ian isn't a member. Let's see the unredacted email!!!

That's exactly what happened, dill-weed...;-) That wasnt the point.

Now, isnt Maury Povich on now or Kathy Lee...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
I call Stolen Valor!!! Your original post led us all to believe that you are a member of a top 25 club. I'm glad we got the cleared up.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 01:51:59 PM »
I call Stolen Valor!!! Your original post led us all to believe that you are a member of a top 25 club. I'm glad we got the cleared up.

It was cleared up 10 responses ago.

Now time for a new Depends, a new battery in the hearing aid, another 3 more spoonfuls of Metamucil with your cream of Mike Pence soup.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
Do you carry a Chicago Golf Club golf bag? Before this thread carrying a golf bag from a club where you are not a member was the most egregious example of Stolen Valor that I had seen. Somehow, somewhere this kids friend of a friend thought you were a member of a club where you are not. It happens to me from time to time and is always interesting to find out why.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Do you carry a Chicago Golf Club golf bag? Before this thread carrying a golf bag from a club where you are not a member was the most egregious example of Stolen Valor that I had seen. Somehow, somewhere this kids friend of a friend thought you were a member of a club where you are not. It happens to me from time to time and is always interesting to find out why.

I proudly carry a bag from my home club. It also has a tag on it from my club of 5 years in Scotland.

Perhaps you should look into one from here: www.thechiponyourshouldergolfclub.com

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »
I miss Jeff Dawson.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill Crane

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 02:25:48 PM »
It was otherwise unremarkable winter day here in Chicago yesterday until I received a bizarre email that began a truly surreal exchange with a young man whom I have never met or heard of before. He claims he received my contact info from a "friend of a friend:

"Hi Ian, I hope you are doing well. I wanted to reach out to see if you would be willing to host my father and I to XXXX Club next summer. I would be willing to cover all the expenses from the outing (guest fees, your caddy gratuity, lunch, etc), so there would be no cost to you. Over the past several years my dad and I have had an annual ritual of playing several of the top ranked golf courses around North America (see below), and would love the opportunity to experience XXXX as well. "

I admit to being a bit surprised by the brazen approach. I also admit to being somewhat sympathetic.So, I opted to counsel him on a better approach while letting him know that most clubs have a strict policy against this type of thing. I also encourage him to go w to Scotland where golf was more interesting, less expensive and FAR more inclusive.(His provided list of played courses included mostly resorts with one private course.)

His next reply is what floored me:

"I appreciate your responses however, I would say your expectations of others generosity is incorrect. I've contacted a few other members at other highly exclusive US clubs and have been fortunately welcomed. My goal is to play the top 25 golf courses in the US with my dad and thankfully only need one member at each to provide the invite."

My question to you here is...does this really happen today?

Ian;

The key to this situation is the "friend of a friend" - was that just a BS comment or was there really an intermediary who knew you?   

I have sent notes to members of interesting clubs when I had a genuine friend/acquaintance and always mention their names, and what is even preferable is if they offer to call their friend directly.  These things take judgment and tact which many people don't have any longer.

If this fellow never mentioned who the mutual friend was then I really would look at this askance.   In that case he is just some guy out of no where that nobody knows.  It is similar to the requests I get on LinkedIn for no apparent reason from people I have never met.

In this day of digital communications, I have met people in various communities that I am involved with including GCA and gotten to know them and played golf with them.  Usually the best way to get to know someone is to invite them to play at your club or somewhere interesting.   So, I do disagree with a few people who complain about not having access to clubs featured on GCA because they were not part of an "In" crowd.    Pardon me - I am digressing here.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »
Yes Ian, it does happen.  I try to help out when I can.  Play it forward.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back