News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Angel's Crossing Golf Club - Vicksburg, Michigan
« on: November 29, 2023, 07:54:07 PM »
This past August I took a solo golf trip up to Grand Rapids to play a few golf courses. I played American Dunes, The Mines, Pilgrim's Run, Arcadia South, GVSU Meadows and Angel's Crossing on this trip over 3 days. My last course I played on the drive back home to Cincinnati was Angel's Crossing GC. I am posting these pics for Sean A! I had originally planned on laying Stotin Brae, but I switched up at the last minute as this course was not out of my way for the drive home. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but the course was pretty fun. Designed by Bruce Matthews, but their website really does not give any insight as to the back story of the course or the design. It was a solid golf course, not really memorable to be honest, but it was a decent test of golf. I had heard that conditions vary here, but I found the course to be in great shape. This is a golf course that does NOT photograph well for some odd reason. Here are the pics Sean!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:48:28 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Joe Hancock

Re: Angel's Crossing Golf Club - Vicksburg, Michigan
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:28:10 PM »
Designed by Bruce Matthews III…..I haven’t been there in a looong time! Anyone remember Jim Thompson?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:49:15 PM »
Designed by Bruce Matthews III…..I haven’t been there in a looong time! Anyone remember Jim Thompson?
Not sure why I even typed Jerry!  Thanks!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 11:27:15 PM »
See the attached thread about Angel’s Crossing as well as Jim Thompson’s thoughts on the design:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,23879.msg440382.html#msg440382

I remember the course originally having a Raynor / Macdonald theme or at least several the holes having template bases.  I am not sure if the holes have been renamed because the 6th hole (called chasm now) is based on the Biarritz hole and the long par three in the back 9 was based on the redan hole.

I know I have the original scorecard somewhere and if time allows I will try to dig it up.

Course was originally supposed to be 27 holes, but only 18 were built.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 11:33:14 PM by Chris_Blakely »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 05:17:07 AM »
Just from the pictures, the tee shots look pretty demanding.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 02:03:41 PM »
Angels Crossing continues to be one of my personal favorites and I feel it may have one of the best finishing stretches that I have ever played.  Holes 15,16,17, and 18 are fantastic.

I have probably played the course at least 200 times (I was a member there for a few years) and a few things stand out about the course.  It has some of the biggest greens that I have ever played and many rival the size of Old Macdonald at Bandon Dunes.

The course plays fast and firm most of the time and the only courses that I have played that are more firm include Bandon, Sand Valley, Kingsley, The Loop etc so that alone makes it a blast to play.

It was indeed originally meant to be 27 holes but the course hit tough times around 2010 when the economy dumped.  The village of Vicksburg eventually bought it (very controversial) and had an agreement that they could not sell it until 2024.  Most people I have talked to have said there are over 5 offers for the place now and I am sure it will sell quickly based on the people who are bidding on it have close ties to the community and the wallet to back it up.

The village added a nice clubhouse, a new putting green and have really made great improvements on the course.  The original owners had a great vision, built an amazing course but the tough times of 2010 really was terrible timing.

Today the course is packed most days with guests.....full of golf leagues....has groups that come form all over Indiana, Ohio, or Illinois so the course has a great reptutation and charge green fees in the $80 range which does not seem to be a big deal to the players that like it.

It will be cool to see what the new owners this year do with the place as the village of vicksburg will be selling it soon when they legally are able to.  Not sure what a course like this will sell for but there is one in the area (Island Crossing) that is somewhat similar and the asking price on that is over $5 million but does include additional lots.

When the village bought it there is also a housing development next to the course with amazing houses and condos so I am not sure if the village got that or if its seperate. 
"Pure Michigan"

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 11:11:58 AM »
Richard

Thanks for the pix. For some reason I thought the land was more rambunctious.

Merry Christmas
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back