News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Yet Another Renovation
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 11:14:21 AM »
Gotta say that rebranding the Peter Hay course as "The Hay" and coming up with a logo for it has jumped the shark [oops, I guess that's jumped the sea lion] in my book.

Are they going to charge kids $65, too?  If kids are free, the price would be much more palatable [and relatable].

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 11:21:34 AM »
From what I have seen in the images it is an improvement over the course that was there, but that's not saying much as the course did a better job as a parking lot for tournaments than it did as an interesting golf course. This is a real shame as a short course like this and a really cool putting course could have provided a really interesting community amenity, but they decide to do a couple of template holes and then copy one of the most famous par 3's on golf and call it a day.

Have you actually seen the course?  Those are strong opinions for a course you have only seen via photos in a press release.  I have not seen it, either, but I know that the short course at Bluejack National was very well received [though of course everything Tiger does, is, because golf media are afraid of him].

I doubt that the suits at Pebble specifically requested the replica of #7, but surely that is just the sort of marketing-friendly feature they embrace, because otherwise it is very hard to describe what's so good about a par-3 course . . . it all just sounds like baloney unless you are a true believer in whichever architect has done the work.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 12:06:20 PM »
Gotta say that rebranding the Peter Hay course as "The Hay" and coming up with a logo for it has jumped the shark [oops, I guess that's jumped the sea lion] in my book.

Are they going to charge kids $65, too?  If kids are free, the price would be much more palatable [and relatable].

12 and under are free, and they'll be a member of Youth on Course (which you can have membership in thru age 18 IIRC) where you can play for $5.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 12:33:53 PM »
Preserve is $50-$100.  Resort golf is expensive, nothing new here.

The cost of the Preserve goes ??% to environmental costs. So it is not exactly a straight up green fee.

And, Shorty's is a lot cheaper (you choose what to pay). Furthermore, my best guess is that Shorty's would be a lot more fun to play than the money sink they have created at PB.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 06:07:35 PM »

The cost of the Preserve goes ??% to environmental costs. So it is not exactly a straight up green fee.

I believe that 100% of the net proceeds from Bandon Preserve go to the environmental charity set up in honor of Howard McKee, the Wild Rivers Coast Alliance

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »

So it is not exactly a straight up green fee.

Then what is it?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 09:55:22 PM »

Then what is it?

According to Tom (above), it is a charitable donation.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2021, 10:15:31 PM »

Then what is it?

According to Bandon it is a green fee.

http://https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/green-fees

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 11:22:51 PM »

Well, I didn't say that, exactly . . . I don't think the golfers get to write it off.  But the proceeds do go to charity, and I think that enables the resort to charge a little more for the course before people balk at the price.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2021, 12:09:25 AM »

According to Bandon it is a green fee.

http://https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/green-fees

::) Fine, go play Shorty's then. It has no green fee.  :P

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
I don't think its any surprise that top notch destinations charge a pretty penny for their short courses, especially when they are such high quality from what I've read and seen.

P.S. I can only imagine how valuable that land is where the short course sits at Pebble, even if it'd be next to impossible to get it zoned for housing purposes now.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »

P.S. I can only imagine how valuable that land is where the short course sits at Pebble, even if it'd be next to impossible to get it zoned for housing purposes now.
At PB back in 2010 when I went with my dad/brother we got paired with a realtor who got comped (once a month, or so he said). He was throwing out figures I couldn't really imagine. He said land is either built on or protected environmentally or for public use. Your only option for land is to tear down what is there for privately owned. A 1 acre lot with a 1970's house he sold to a client for 7 million who tore down the house and was going to build something for another 5 million. So 7 million for 1 acre. Hard to comprehend when you factor in the property tax, which has to be obscene as well.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back