News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Yet Another Renovation
« on: November 24, 2019, 10:18:25 PM »
The par-3 Peter Hay course at Pebble Beach is roped off with a sign saying "Coming soon a new & improved Peter Hay Course."

Niall Hay

Re: Yet Another Renovation
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »
The par-3 Peter Hay course at Pebble Beach is roped off with a sign saying "Coming soon a new & improved Peter Hay Course."

Any idea who is doing the work? Design?

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »
About time. Even when I knew nothing about golf courses and before The Cradle type places, I thought it was a waste of space

Niall Hay

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »
Pebble Beach Company Partners with Tiger Woods and TGR Design to Redesign Par 3 Course at Pebble Beach

As its Centennial celebration winds down, Pebble Beach Company looks to the future, announcing today it has entered into a partnership with Tiger Woods and his TGR Design firm to design a new short course on the former site of Peter Hay Golf Course. 

“Pebble Beach has always been a special place to me,” said Tiger Woods.  “It’s an honor for TGR Design and me to partner with Pebble Beach Company to design a new short course at such an iconic location.”

Named for the former, long-time head professional at Pebble Beach, the Peter Hay Golf Course has been a focal point of the golf-centric community since its opening in 1957. Among its many uses, it has served as the home course for generations of young golfers and host to dozens of junior tournaments and charity events annually.

"It’s an honor for TGR Design and me to partner with Pebble Beach Company to design a new short course at such an iconic location."

“Peter Hay’s founding vision for this course aligns perfectly with TGR Design’s ideals – introducing new players to the game, bringing families together, and providing a fun golf experience for players of all abilities,” said Woods. “We at TGR Design look forward to building on and enhancing this vision with our redesign, which will incorporate more variety into the hole lengths and shot options, add more puttable areas within the green surrounds, and take advantage of the spectacular ocean views.”

Pebble Beach Company’s goal with the redesign is to elevate the year-round quality of its short course to that of its other golf courses (Pebble Beach Golf Links, Spyglass Hill Golf Course, The Links at Spanish Bay, and Del Monte Golf Course).  In addition, the new short course will leverage the first-class amenities of the adjacent Pebble Beach Golf Academy, and offer an incredible food and beverage venue with expansive ocean views.  The experience will be a “can’t miss” for golfers of all ages and abilities.

“We are thrilled to partner with Tiger Woods and TGR Design to transform the Peter Hay site into a world-class short course,” said Bill Perocchi, Chief Executive Officer of Pebble Beach Company. “Tiger Woods and TGR Design are the perfect partners for this project, given Tiger’s commitment to youth golf and experience in developing fun, creative, and playable courses for golfers of all levels.”

The project is expected to take less than a year to complete, with a Grand Reopening targeted for the fall of 2020. Pebble Beach Company and TGR Design look forward to sharing more details on the design and reopening date in the coming months.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »
What does TGR actually stand for?  It is a confusing acronym as I assume the T is Tiger but GR?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
What does TGR actually stand for?  It is a confusing acronym as I assume the T is Tiger but GR?
I believe it stands for "grrrrr".
Sorry, couldn't resist.  ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »

I think it’s just an abbreviation of TIGER

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »

I think it’s just an abbreviation of TIGER
Ah...... yeah could be just take out the vowels.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
This has the makings of a great acronym contest, but I don't want to upset the big guy.

Kudos to Tiger for taking on a project like this.  Who would have guessed that he would corner the market on short, fun golf courses for kids?

Of course, for all I know, he's probably getting paid more for this one than I was for Memorial Park.

Niall Hay

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »

Tiger Woods is changing the look and feel of his brand, launching TGR (pronounced by the letters T-G-R), which will serve as an umbrella for all of his current and future business interests.
TGR will comprise four of Woods' current businesses, including the Tiger Woods Foundation, which delivers educational programs through its learning centers and scholarships for participants. The educational curriculum will be renamed TGR Edu, with the learning centers redubbed TGR Learning Labs.
Woods' tournament management arm, previously under the umbrella of the Tiger Woods Foundation and called the Tiger Woods Charity Event Corporation, is now TGR Live. The company manages three PGA Tour events (Quicken Loans National, Genesis Open, Hero World Challenge) and two other events (Tiger Woods Invitational, Tiger Jam).

Tiger Woods Design, Woods' course design firm, has been renamed TGR Design. Woods-designed tracked have opened in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, and near Houston, Texas, at Bluejack National. He has other designs in progress in the United Arab Emirates, China and another in Mexico.
The Woods restaurant concept also falls under TGR, with the sole Jupiter location currently open. However, Woods has been approached about bringing the sophisticated sports bar and restaurant concept to others cities and may in the future.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 10:12:57 PM »
(T)our (G)olf (R)evolution isn't going to like sharing. Grrr.

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »
Ping had the idea first: Anser

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 10:56:00 PM »
This has the makings of a great acronym contest, but I don't want to upset the big guy.

Kudos to Tiger for taking on a project like this.  Who would have guessed that he would corner the market on short, fun golf courses for kids?

Of course, for all I know, he's probably getting paid more for this one than I was for Memorial Park.

He's certainly going corner the putt putt market with this partnership with Pop Stroke. Smart guy, 
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 10:35:33 PM »
My question is whether the replica of #7 is cool (because people can play it who wouldn't get to play the big course) or silly (because it has six bunkers and is surrounded by rough, while the other 8 holes have something four bunkers combined and are surrounded by short grass).

Alex Miller

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 11:37:55 PM »
My question is whether the replica of #7 is cool (because people can play it who wouldn't get to play the big course) or silly (because it has six bunkers and is surrounded by rough, while the other 8 holes have something four bunkers combined and are surrounded by short grass)

#2?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 01:38:42 AM »
#2?

Yeah, #2 on the short course, replica of #7 on the big course.

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »
Matt

I suppose it will come down to how good it is in it's own right but for me the point about the 7th on PB is the ocean long and more importantly right. There doesn't seem to be anything there to replicate that so you wonder what's the point. I also have to say, views aside, the 7th was pretty anti-climactic the one time I played it. Maybe by replicating (if that is what they are doing) the hole with the same contours etc. some other features will reveal themselves that normally would get over shadowed on the original because of the ocean frontage..........or am I just clutching at straws ?

Niall

James Reader

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 08:48:59 AM »
Is anyone else really glad that they included an enlarged view of the putting course with a ‘sample routing’?  Really insightful! ::)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 02:57:39 AM »
They just posted their new rates. I know it’s Pebble Beach. But $65 for 9 holes on a par 3 course?

https://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/the-hay/#hayrates

John Blain

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 04:16:20 PM »
They just posted their new rates. I know it’s Pebble Beach. But $65 for 9 holes on a par 3 course?

It would be one thing if that were an all-day rate but it's not. The Cradle in Pinehurst is $50 but you can go around as many times as you want.  So PB is charging $97.50 to go around twice. That's obnoxious but given that it's PB not totally surprising.

Ben Malach

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 04:48:08 PM »
From what I have seen in the images it is an improvement over the course that was there, but that's not saying much as the course did a better job as a parking lot for tournaments than it did as an interesting golf course. This is a real shame as a short course like this and a really cool putting course could have provided a really interesting community amenity, but they decide to do a couple of template holes and then copy one of the most famous par 3's on golf and call it a day.
[/size]
[/size]This is a problem because no golfer who is playing Pebble will think of playing the Hay par 3 as they will get to or have just played the real 7th and a redan on the real course. So why would they add almost $100 to their day to play a facsimile on worse ground? This seems like a missed opportunity to create something really cool that could have been a great value add to an already awesome golf destination. This has to be one of the least interesting short courses built in the past decade.
[/size]
[/size]On the other hand it has a very strong logo and that logo will sell a lot of hats, golf shirts and other ephemera in the pro shop. So that is a nice thing for the Pebble Beach company.   

@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »

It would be one thing if that were an all-day rate but it's not. The Cradle in Pinehurst is $50 but you can go around as many times as you want.  So PB is charging $97.50 to go around twice. That's obnoxious but given that it's PB not totally surprising.

Kind of. As of Jan 1 you need a tee time on the Cradle and you can't make a replay tee time until after you finish your first round. Could be an hour later or never depending on availability. Given its popularity there doesn't seem to be a lot of "round and round" at the Cradle for $50.

The Sandbox is $75+ these days, right?
H.P.S.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 09:03:02 PM »
Preserve is $50-$100.  Resort golf is expensive, nothing new here. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back