News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Merseyside beyond the top three
« on: November 22, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
Planning a trip with Birkdale possible and Formby set. We are leaning toward Hillside and West Lancs.

Other ideas?
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

Re: Merseyside beyond the top three
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
Personally I love Hoylake and Lytham more than Birkdale.

If you wanted some fun you could jump over to North Wales GC for a day.  Or if you wanted to get off a links course for half a day, Delamere Forest is beautiful and not so far out of the way.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »
I'd vote for Lytham, Hoylake, Formby, Birkdale in that order.

Also a heads up if you've just begun your planning - I believe Birkdale is hosting the Amateur this year.

Michael

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »
In order of recommendation

Hoylake 2*
Birkdale 2*
Formby 1*
Cavendish 1*
Lytham 1*
Reddish Vale
Formby Ladies
Prestbury
Castletown
Wallasey
West Lancs
Delamere Forest
Hillside
S&A

Duncan likes Manchester and Bury

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:31:35 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 09:22:10 PM »
 We are playing Formby Ladies and would do some non links. We will be heading to Wales for a couple of days before Buda.
Delamere looks like a good place between Merseyside and Wales.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:26:36 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
If you're down near Hoylake, Wallesy is a good choice.
North Wales is fun a well as Tom mentioned-but it's not anywhere near Formby.(It all depends on where you are coming from and going to)

If you're up near Lytham, St. Annes Old Links has grown on me.

I played West Lancashire last year and enjoyed it a lot-I'd go Wallesey, West Lancs, St Annes Old (ranking in that order) but relatively close and probably more a matter of location, access and timing.

I haven't played Hillside or Southport & Ainsdale which is why I dod not mention them.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 10:39:40 PM »
North Wales is fun a well as Tom mentioned-but it's not anywhere near Formby.(It all depends on where you are coming from and going to)

I played West Lancashire last year and enjoyed it a lot-I'd go Wallesey, West Lancs, St Annes Old (ranking in that order) but relatively close and probably more a matter of location, access and timing.

I haven't played Hillside or Southport & Ainsdale which is why I dod not mention them.

Jeff,

You know more than Irish golf?
AKA Mayday

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 02:37:38 AM »
I believe most golfers will enjoy Wallasey more than Hoylake and prefer Formby over Birkdale or Hillside.

St Annes Old Links and West Lancs are also very good links courses but don't really have holes that linger long in the memory like some of the others.

Tom Doak mentions North Wales, but to my mind nearby Conwy is a far better course. He's dead right about Delamere Forest though - its a great course in a stunning setting.

If you're flying into Manchester a quick game at Cavendish and/or Reddish Vale is the perfect appetiser before heading to the coast.

There isn't much worthwhile inland golf in the immediate Liverpool area.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 04:08:48 AM »
Echo, loudly, Formby Ladies.
And Wallasey is seriously underrated.
Atb

Joey Chase

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 05:10:01 AM »
On my one visit I quite liked Southport and Ainsdale.  Starting with a strong par three, if I remember correctly.  Although, in the area you can't go wrong, especially if links golf is what you're after.  I would like to get back to this area, if only to take another crack at Lytham!

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 08:10:56 PM »
 I’m beginning to think instead of 3 days in Wales the quality of golf west of Manchester requires 6 instead of 5 days with some 36 hole days meaning just 2 days for Wales.
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »

Jeff,

You know more than Irish golf?

The older I get the more I find I don't "know" much at all, but I've played quite a bit in the UK- I think I've played a few more different courses in Scotland than Ireland but I've played far more repeat and total rounds in Ireland with multiple repeat trips to the same region(s)
PM sent
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:51:10 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
Lytham

Lytham

Lytham

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »
I’m beginning to think instead of 3 days in Wales the quality of golf west of Manchester requires 6 instead of 5 days with some 36 hole days meaning just 2 days for Wales.

There is no right or wrong answer here, there are lots of fine courses to choose from.  As I get older, I'm more inclined to opt for less driving.

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »
Mike -

The 55-odd miles between Liverpool and St. Anne's could be the strongest stretch of links golf in all of the British Isles. There is no need to visit Wales.

DT 

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »

Well, a bit of common sense! Wales drags you well out of the way for Buda. It makes sense to play where there is a concentration of quality golf. That said, because clubs have hosted Opens does not necessarily mean their courses will be the most interesting way to spend your time.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 10:41:43 PM »
As I take input and read some Finegan I’m placing Hoylake as the top Open choice for what I like . Wallasey, Hillside, Southport and Ainsdale, West Lancashire look like a good time.

Conwy and North Wales could be a good day.

AKA Mayday

Bill Gayne

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
Mike,

Of the the three Open rota courses my first choice to go back to would be Hoylake. I caught the course in perfect links conditioning firm and running fast. Birkdale is probably the best test for an Open championship but it also seemed a bit sterile at times for me. I really enjoyed my stay at LSA in the Dormie House and would love to go back.

If you enjoy music and pop culture history go to the Cavern Club in Liverpool. It's very touristy but it's also the birthplace of the Beatles (although I'm not sure how much is original). I thought Southport was a nice beach holiday town with plenty of places to unwind and enjoy a meal.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:04:52 PM by Bill Gayne »

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 11:15:59 PM »
Mike,

Of the the three Open rota courses my first choice to go back to would be Hoylake. I caught the course in perfect links conditioning firm and running fast. Birkdale is probably the best test for an Open championship but it also seemed a bit sterile at times for me. I really enjoyed my stay at LSA in the Dormie House and would love to go back.

If you enjoy music and pop culture history go to the Cavern Club in Liverpool. It's very touristy but it's also the birthplace of the Beatles (although I'm not sure how much is original). I thought Southport was a nice beach holiday town with plenty of places to unwind and enjoy a meal.

Bill

Are you going to Buda? If so let me know your thoughts on courses you want to play.
AKA Mayday

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 11:47:13 PM »

Mike,

Probably yes but I need to get a little closer to the dates to know for sure. I've committed to being in Northern California Labor Day week.

Bill

Keith Phillips

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 05:54:28 PM »
We did a 16-man father-son trip last summer and spent a week staying in Southport.  Was great to unpack and stay in one hotel for a week and the golf was fantastic.  We played Lytham, Liverpool x2, Birkdale, Formby, Wallassey, West Lancs, Southport & Ainsdale and Silloth.  Hillside was closed that week.  Silloth was a long drive and polarizing - my boys loved it but for many it was the least favorite (weather was bad).  I haven't played golf in Wales but can 'third' the notion that you should stay put and enjoy the golf in this area.  AND the Cavern Club was a blast!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 05:37:35 AM »
There is no need to visit Wales.
Hold on now!

Wales may be a small principality but the Welsh welcome visitors with open arms. For example, a large crowd of coal covered men will gather outside the window of any visitors bedroom and will serenade them loudly all night with songs about little saucepans bubbling on stoves. And when visitors drive along the scenic Welsh roads they will be guaranteed to be led slowly on their way by an aged, muddy Land Rover towing a wagon full of friendly sheep followed closely behind by a quad bike with a barking sheepdog riding pillion. And the Welsh are always greatly appreciative when visitors leave tokens of their generosity behind for locals to find, new ProV1’s in the semi-rough are particularly appreciated.
 :)
Atb
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:05:00 AM by Thomas Dai »

Paul Dolton

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »
Wallasey is great fun .
Played Delamere for the first time , a couple of months ago.
It is on a fantastic piece of land and I would highly recommend it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back