News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The Mackenzie Whisperer. Gary...
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:32:40 PM »
Koch. I played Mystic Dunes for the first time today just outside Disney World. While the course is far too difficult for its intended resort audience Mystic Dunes has the 18 most interesting greens on one course that I have ever played. Is this a common theme in Koch courses? Can the modern golfer accept such a thrill ride even when like today the greens are running perfectly in relation to slope? Has the study of architecture stifled modern design in that only the dead guys are allowed to build greens like this?

If you don't believe me just give me a toot and I'll take you out to play Mystic. If I'm wrong I'll pay your green fee.

Tom_Doak

Re: The Mackenzie Whisperer. Gary...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
Gary Koch was the only guy on Tour in Ben Crenshaw's prime that some people thought was better with the putter than Ben.  So, it makes sense that his golf courses would focus on greens contour.

I have never played one of his designs to agree with you about the greens, or not.  He did do one course in northern Michigan, the Tribute at Otsego Resort, in Gaylord.  Had a beautiful piece of land to work with.  But I have never heard anyone here mention the course since the year it opened.

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 09:15:34 PM »
I had forgotten he'd done the Tribute.  The two courses at Otsego club are the only 2 courses I think I've not played in Gaylord.  Maybe next summer I'll make the short drive south to check them out.

I've heard several reports that the greens at Mystic Dunes, and the course generally, are an oasis of decent golf in a sea of crap golf that is Orlando.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 09:16:14 PM »
In an odd twist of fate the resort of Mystic Dunes has always struggled financially so they never had the money to "fix" the greens. Everything about the course far exceeds the ability of the average mind to enjoy. He even built suicide volcano bunkers.

Thanks for the note about Crenshaw as it explains why the greens may be as they seem.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 09:29:57 PM »
Everything about the course far exceeds the ability of the average mind to enjoy.

Especially the routing and land plan!  I just looked on Google Earth and I had to seek help to piece together which were the starting and finishing holes, and just where you had to dodge between homes to get from one hole to the next on the front nine.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »
I have lived behind the par 3 8th tee for 5 months and today was the first time I played the hole. Imagine my astonishment when I found the yardage from the one up tee to be 234yds. My favorite template in all of golf and this whole time it has been in my front yard.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 10:13:35 PM »
The few pictures on this site give a glimpse into a suicide volcano bunker. While not all that all uncommon well over 100 years ago it is fascinating to see so many on one course today.

https://www.golfzoo.com/-orlando-golf-vacation-packages-mystic-dunes-golf-club-.htm

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 04:46:04 AM »
Everything about the course far exceeds the ability of the average mind to enjoy.

Especially the routing and land plan!  I just looked on Google Earth and I had to seek help to piece together which were the starting and finishing holes, and just where you had to dodge between homes to get from one hole to the next on the front nine.

I think I played it twice in my Disney era, but as a walker, my view probably got clouded by some of Tom's observations and the condo squeezing holes on the back. Highlands Reserve, discovered by FatBaldyDrummer, was my "goto" as it had the Biarritz and some other decent greens.

That said, the greens at Mountain Lake are superior to all. There are many Midwesterners at ML too, so you can avoid New Yorkers when you finally take the ride to Lake Wales.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 06:39:12 AM »
I guess I am now living in an era where John Kavanaugh blows the doors off all my little secrets.

I'm here for it, honestly.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back