News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

148th Custodian is.............
« on: November 22, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »
No it isn't official..... Ok so that was click bait I admit. So the below is only my opinion, so keep reading if you will........
Since there hasn't been an official 148th Custodian announced and there is rumbling from some on this site that Ran maybe onto something else with his gig at golf mag. (not IMO).  It was going to be announced in July of each year, yet we are in purgatory. So, I wanted to propose what I would think a good addition to the list.

Here are the principals Ran laid out:
  • engaging puzzles to solve
  • ball should be able to run
  • should be able to carry your bag
  • should be able to play fast
  • enjoy at any age
  • have understated maintenance
  • club that is simple and not status oriented
  • you want to play again and again
Keeping with the above my proposal as the 148th Custodian is........

Austin Golf Club
It checks all those boxes above and really enjoyed playing it in early August.  It is Ben's place (cool to use first names), and is understated elegance. Yes it is private, but it is not status oriented. Rolling hill country where you can walk with plenty of space off the fairway, I don't think any water hazards, it's share of doglegs while having greens that are capable of handling many pin positions for variety. A fairly easy walk (as long as it isn't too hot), flat with oaks presented in moderation. I would love to play it over and over and if I lived in the area would be proud to call it my club.The only criticisms could be: pretty flat course without much elevation change, and perhaps more trees in play than some on here would like although I'm not one of them. This is a top 100 course in the US IMO and my suggestion as the 148th Custodian. 

What do you think?  Or perhaps more interesting is what is your nomination?
Edit: formatting always it seems
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:54:26 PM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ryan Carey

Re: 148th Custodian is.............
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »
Ridiculous click bait right there.

With that said, it should be Sweetens Cove

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 06:53:17 PM »
Ridiculous click bait right there.

With that said, it should be Sweetens Cove

Sweetens Cove is click bait in the dirt.  But, Ran had played it before his list, and somehow left it off.  So it couldn't be much higher than 148th.

Ryan Carey

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »
Agree to disagree there. I think Rob Collins created something special out of absolutely nothing.

And what Sweetens has done to popularize the right kind of golf (and golfer) embodies everything the 147 Custodians list is all about.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »
I don't wish to bad mouth Sweetens in anyway. However, it is social media which has pushed the so called 147 Custodian concepts forward. Sweetens is merely one example in a very long line of examples stretching back countless years. At some point social media will find a new thing to push forward and there will be loads of already existing courses which embody those concepts, yet a few new courses will get much of the focus. It's the way of media in general.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »
Agree to disagree there. I think Rob Collins created something special out of absolutely nothing.  I can agree with that, without having seen it.  Kudos to him and his partner for putting their money where their mouth is - although, I guess they now have some bigger hitting financial partners, which helps explain all the media attention.

And what Sweetens has done to popularize the right kind of golf (and golfer) embodies everything the 147 Custodians list is all about.
Arrogance about the "right kind of golfer" is not what golf needs.  I thought Sweetens Cove was supposed to be an example of a different take on that, not a place that we have to bow down to as correct.

Ryan Carey

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
Wait, you've never seen Sweetens?

And here I thought we were having an intellectual conversation.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
Wait, you've never seen Sweetens?

And here I thought we were having an intellectual conversation.

I think you were having an intellectual conversation, before this post.
H.P.S.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
No it isn't official..... Ok so that was click bait I admit. So the below is only my opinion, so keep reading if you will........
Since there hasn't been an official 148th Custodian announced and there is rumbling from some on this site that Ran maybe onto something else with his gig at golf mag. (not IMO).  It was going to be announced in July of each year, yet we are in purgatory. So, I wanted to propose what I would think a good addition to the list.

• enjoy at any age

Austin Golf Club
It checks all those boxes above and really enjoyed playing it in early August.  It is Ben's place (cool to use first names), and is understated elegance. Yes it is private, but it is not status oriented. Rolling hill country where you can walk with plenty of space off the fairway, I don't think any water hazards, it's share of doglegs while having greens that are capable of handling many pin positions for variety. A fairly easy walk (as long as it isn't too hot), flat with oaks presented in moderation. I would love to play it over and over and if I lived in the area would be proud to call it my club.The only criticisms could be: pretty flat course without much elevation change, and perhaps more trees in play than some on here would like although I'm not one of them. This is a top 100 course in the US IMO and my suggestion as the 148th Custodian. 
What do you think?  Or perhaps more interesting is what is your nomination?Edit: formatting always it seems

What you describe is amazingly close to course number 93 on the list.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 09:30:51 AM »
not predicting its inclusion...

but it belongs...
Southampton GC

ticks a lot of boxes the neighbors don't
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »

• enjoy at any age

Austin Golf Club
What do you think?  Or perhaps more interesting is what is your nomination?Edit: formatting always it seems

What you describe is amazingly close to course number 93 on the list.

Uncanny

Jeff Schley

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »
HAHA!  That is funny!  Did Ran hit the Edit button and put it in after my post? I want a congressional investigation! It seems like those are pretty easy to have these days. ;D ;D

Well I'm glad to have arrived at the same conclusion given the criteria, although in a more two different socks/rip in your pants/food on your chin without you realizing sort of way. ;D

So then I defer to Jeff's Southampton.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
HAHA!  That is funny!  Did Ran hit the Edit button and put it in after my post? I want a congressional investigation! It seems like those are pretty easy to have these days. ;D ;D

Well I'm glad to have arrived at the same conclusion given the criteria, although in a more two different socks/rip in your pants/food on your chin without you realizing sort of way. ;D

So then I defer to Jeff's Southampton.

That's funny-you can bet I carefully scanned the list before I hit send ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
Trump National Briarcliff
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
I always thought Pasatiempo was one that should really be included on this list....

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
I always thought Pasatiempo was one that should really be included on this list....

I doubt Ran would include a cartball course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 09:12:42 AM »
Suggestion: Schoolhouse 9 in Sperryville, VA.  Par 3, 9 holer ...... the epitome of mom & pop, low impact, low overhead golf that is interesting, fun & fast

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:17:42 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 09:33:39 AM »
Suggestion: Schoolhouse 9 in Sperryville, VA.  Par 3, 9 holer ...... the epitome of mom & pop, low impact, low overhead golf that is interesting, fun & fast

Not a mom & pop design, though:  it was designed and built by Mike McCartin, who worked for us on a few projects.  The client had actually contacted me originally and because the project was small and close to D.C. where Mike lives, I just gave him a referral.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 10:02:29 AM »

What a cool looking place and unusual for the US business model. We will have to take a drive out next year.

Ira

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:29 AM »
Here in Oregon, nominees might include Astoria GC.  It's been thirty years, but Tokatee up in the Cascades east of Eugene is austere and very beautiful.  However, the Custodians as a group are generally courses under consideration for top 100 status.

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 07:27:39 AM »
Beverly CC in Chicago, especially in its post renovated state.  This is not only for the greatness of the golf course (which I think is vastly underrated), but also for its place as a club in the Western Golf Association still tremendously committed to youth caddies and the Evans Scholars program. 

The value of having kid caddies for both the kids and the game of golf cannot be understated.  Pair that with a commitment to walking, camaraderie, fast playing conditions and to the part of the city in which it sits and I think Beverly is a custodian of the game.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 07:11:24 PM »
for its place as a club in the Western Golf Association still tremendously committed to youth caddies and the Evans Scholars program. 

The value of having kid caddies for both the kids and the game of golf cannot be understated.  Pair that with a commitment to walking, camaraderie, fast playing conditions and to the part of the city in which it sits and I think Beverly is a custodian of the game.

Doesn't that apply to a lot of clubs in the WGA and the Evans Scholars program?  And to clubs in Colorado and Michigan and other states as well?

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
for its place as a club in the Western Golf Association still tremendously committed to youth caddies and the Evans Scholars program. 

Doesn't that apply to a lot of clubs in the WGA and the Evans Scholars program?  And to clubs in Colorado and Michigan and other states as well?

It wasnt my intent to portray Beverly as unique in that regard nor that it was the sole determining factor.  I apologize if I wasn't clear on that point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back