News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl David

Re: Golf Magazine Top 100 World List - thanks, Ran
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »
Could someone post the link that lists all of the Golf Magazine panelists?

TS

https://www.golf.com/top-one-hundred/2019/11/23/meet-golfs-top-100-course-raters/

Shocked at how many folks I know got the ax. Wonder if they were given a reason for termination. Something like “we want the magazine to move in a different direction and you are not part of that plan”. Being a rater is getting tough!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »

Shocked at how many folks I know got the ax. Wonder if they were given a reason for termination. Something like “we want the magazine to move in a different direction and you are not part of that plan”. Being a rater is getting tough!

Well several of them might have attended one too many rater functions in faraway places, on someone else's dime.  And others got lumped in with them because they failed to distinguish themselves as different.

Ran told me I am now the second-oldest person on the panel, which was quite a culture shock for me, TBH.  [From the time I was seven, I was pretty much the youngest person in the room.]  But since then I have met three other panelists, and two are older than I am, so maybe I just look old for my age?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2019, 12:06:56 PM »
Does Ran have a consiglieri, you know, a Tom Hagen type? Or an Luca Brasi type enforcer?
It seems quite a cut-throat business, this ratings game.
Ran always struck me as the kind of Don who didn't want to get his hands dirty.
If there's a horse's head to be severed from the horse, or a troublesome Senator who won't play ball and has secret and unsavoury predilections, he'd send out a lawyer in a fancy suit...and then (washing of the hands emoticon) all the problems would disappear, like they never existed.
So, who is Ran's Luca Brasi?   
(Whoever it is, I sure hope he doesn't meet the same fate...)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:20:15 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »
Peter,
I can't screen grab and upload Ran's video where he is sitting in his chair introducting the panelists criteria, but it does remind me of Michael Corleone from The Godfather a bit. ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »
 :)
I can imagine it, Jeff.
Ran and Tom having a serious discussion, including:
R: We're both part of the same hypocrisy, Tom.
T: All right, Ran - some people have to play their little games. You play yours.
R:Uh, Tom, you can have my rating now if you like -- it's nothing. A zero. A course that should never have been built.

William_G

« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »

TOC is a touchstone for most anything to do with quality golf. While I am entertained by Opens held there I am no longer convinced TOC provides an adequate challenge for Open contestants. IF this is the case, and IF that should mean therefore that being a challenge for pros while remaining playable for decent markers has become too difficult to achieve, what then is the added value a pro golfer brings to the table that warrants a rater diversity imbalance?

Well, who is going to tell you whether The Old Course is still relevant for the best players in the world?  A bunch of 10-handicap amateurs, your own lying eyes, or a couple of pros?

Brooks Koepka says it's his favorite course in the world - unprompted, and not in front of any media.  Not every pro agrees; Scott Hoch thought it sucked.  But are you going to listen to Nicklaus, Tiger and Koepka, or Scott Hoch?

personally, what pros think doesn't really matter, but that is cool for them for sure, just like the NLU gooofers
what does Bill Coore think? Ben Crenshaw? Don Mahaffey? Jim Urbina? Mike Nuzzo? DMK? Mike Keiser? Tommy?

so many things set TOC apart, but what struck me most on my first play there as well as my latest, is the number of blind and semi-blind shots on a flat piece of bay-front sand
It's all about the golf!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »

TOC is a touchstone for most anything to do with quality golf. While I am entertained by Opens held there I am no longer convinced TOC provides an adequate challenge for Open contestants. IF this is the case, and IF that should mean therefore that being a challenge for pros while remaining playable for decent markers has become too difficult to achieve, what then is the added value a pro golfer brings to the table that warrants a rater diversity imbalance?

Well, who is going to tell you whether The Old Course is still relevant for the best players in the world?  A bunch of 10-handicap amateurs, your own lying eyes, or a couple of pros?

Brooks Koepka says it's his favorite course in the world - unprompted, and not in front of any media.  Not every pro agrees; Scott Hoch thought it sucked.  But are you going to listen to Nicklaus, Tiger and Koepka, or Scott Hoch?

personally, what pros think doesn't really matter, but that is cool for them for sure, just like the NLU gooofers
what does Bill Coore think? Ben Crenshaw? Don Mahaffey? Jim Urbina? Mike Nuzzo? DMK? Mike Keiser? Tommy?

William:  I don't understand your post.

I trust the opinions of a lot of the guys you listed more than the opinions of most golf pros, about the quality of a golf course overall.  But, Sean had specifically brought up whether "The Old Course still provides an adequate challenge for Open contestants," and I'm going to stick with my premise that Brooks Koepka is a more relevant guy to ask that question than Don Mahaffey, Jim Urbina, Mike Keiser, or David Kidd.  Or myself.

corey miller

« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2019, 02:35:11 PM »

Does anyone know how Ran handled the courses that did not want to be rated? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2019, 03:10:17 PM »

Does anyone know how Ran handled the courses that did not want to be rated?

Are there any?  In my time I can't recall any club formally or informally requesting not to be considered.

William_G

« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
TD

Happy TG

I get that you prefer Brooks or yourself in your opinion, all good and fun as well as JC's opinions.  8)
Memorial Park and your, Brooks', and Don's thoughtful Astro redo there is something cool, hope to play there soon before the Houston Open.

Trust is one thing that is earned, but for different reasons and needs, as I'm not ITB.

If perusing ratings and opinions, I might be interested in all types of opinions just for fun, Trevino, Watson, Koepka, Mickelson, TW, but not some other pros for instance.

Yet for real design perusing I'd look to others ITB whom I like, BK? As all sparkling wine is not champagne technically, but who cares as it's what you enjoy from the glass. Isn't a sense of place that really matters? I need to taste it. and TOC has that sense and taste.

Some many ratings, so little time, LOL

Cheers
It's all about the golf!

corey miller

« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2019, 05:22:58 PM »

Friar's Head.... makes the ascension all the more remarkable for such a new club.

Sean_A

« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »

William:  I don't understand your post.

I trust the opinions of a lot of the guys you listed more than the opinions of most golf pros, about the quality of a golf course overall.  But, Sean had specifically brought up whether "The Old Course still provides an adequate challenge for Open contestants," and I'm going to stick with my premise that Brooks Koepka is a more relevant guy to ask that question than Don Mahaffey, Jim Urbina, Mike Keiser, or David Kidd.  Or myself.

Tom

Was Keopka asked if TOC is proper challenge for the Open or did he say its his favourite course? To me these are very different things.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »

Tom

Was Keopka asked if TOC is proper challenge for the Open or did he say its his favourite course? To me these are very different things.

He volunteered the latter.  I did not ask him about the former, but I will try to remember to do that the next time I see him.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2019, 07:00:15 AM »
Seems like only a couple of the raters were ladies whereas something like 15% of golfers are female.
Makes me wonder what the GM T-100 would look like if there was a more appropriate male-female distribution of raters, and furthermore, what such a list would look all the raters were women.
atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2019, 07:04:13 AM »
Seems like only a couple of the raters were ladies whereas something like 15% of golfers are female.
Makes me wonder what the GM T-100 would look like if there was a more appropriate male-female distribution of raters, and furthermore, what such a list would look all the raters were women.
atb
Thomas this is astute and something any opinion gathering exercise should endeavor to capture. There has to be a turning over stones mentality to identify and recruit this demographic and the ranking will be that much more representative of all and hit closer to the target.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2019, 07:23:14 AM »
atb
Thomas this is astute and something any opinion gathering exercise should endeavor to capture. There has to be a turning over stones mentality to identify and recruit this demographic and the ranking will be that much more representative of all and hit closer to the target.

Except for the fun they provide, I do not care much one or other about ordinal rankings, but I agree strongly that better representation of women is important. My wife and I generally agree on courses, but the exceptions are notable. She thought much more highly of Caste Stuart and Kingsbarns than I did. Part of that is she puts a higher premium on setting than I do, and part is that she enjoyed the benefit of the courses playing easier than they looked. Conversely, my wife ranked Nairn much lower than I did because there were too many forced carries over bunkers into the greens for her. And she found the greens at Old Mac to be intimidatingly large while I found them terrific even though I am not a good putter. I am not asserting that gender directly affects her perspective, but I do think it would be beneficial for all rankings to have a greater representation of women.

Ira

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2019, 10:32:58 AM »

Well several of them might have attended one too many rater functions in faraway places, on someone else's dime.  And others got lumped in with them because they failed to distinguish themselves as different.

Ran told me I am now the second-oldest person on the panel, which was quite a culture shock for me, TBH.  [From the time I was seven, I was pretty much the youngest person in the room.]  But since then I have met three other panelists, and two are older than I am, so maybe I just look old for my age?

That can't be right. They have the picture of the one rater who, unless he's related to Benjamin Button, is older than you. And I've met another person on the panel who I know is in his 70s. Unless the opposite is true - you look very young for you age.

corey miller

« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2019, 10:42:34 AM »

Not sure I am buying that a ratings panel needs more women, or that a panel needs fewer women. 

I Know Ira did not assert this but large greens not being "appropriate" or "appealing" are not even close to being gender specific. 

What does matter, and what should be listened to is the play-ability of the course for women. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
atb

There used to be a magazine named Golf Digest Woman and they did do a ranking of courses once.  It was restricted to public and resort courses.

It bore little resemblance to any of the rankings we talk about here.  They were heavily biased toward courses that offered multiple tees and multiple course ratings for women, and certain amenities that most of us would not think about as being part of the criteria for a great golf course.  There HAD to be a set of tees that was under 5300 yards, which eliminates a lot of famous courses.

Only one of my courses was listed:  Old Macdonald was rated #3 in the U.S.A.  Ira's wife would surely object  :D

ADDING:  here's the link:  https://www.golfdigest.com/story/top-50-courses-for-women

Generally, I do agree that more women should be part of these panels.  As I suggested before, it's just difficult to find women golfers who have traveled and played a good fraction of the courses considered for the rankings.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:53:55 AM by Tom_Doak »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »

That can't be right. They have the picture of the one rater who, unless he's related to Benjamin Button, is older than you. And I've met another person on the panel who I know is in his 70s. Unless the opposite is true - you look very young for you age.

I'm sure it's not right, Ran was probably just teasing me because I'm a couple of years older than he is.  Or maybe I'm the oldest architect on the panel.  I'll be 59 in March, and unfortunately my appearance is starting to catch up to reality.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
atb

There used to be a magazine named Golf Digest Woman and they did do a ranking of courses once.  It was restricted to public and resort courses.

It bore little resemblance to any of the rankings we talk about here.  They were heavily biased toward courses that offered multiple tees and multiple course ratings for women, and certain amenities that most of us would not think about as being part of the criteria for a great golf course.  There HAD to be a set of tees that was under 5300 yards, which eliminates a lot of famous courses.

Only one of my courses was listed:  Old Macdonald was rated #3 in the U.S.A.  Ira's wife would surely object  :D

ADDING:  here's the link:  https://www.golfdigest.com/story/top-50-courses-for-women

Generally, I do agree that more women should be part of these panels.  As I suggested before, it's just difficult to find women golfers who have traveled and played a good fraction of the courses considered for the rankings.

FWIW, my wife would put all the other courses at Bandon, PH2, Streamsong Red and Blue plus several overseas favorites in addition to Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns on here high on her list. But when I told here about the thread, she immediately asked if I included her dislike for North Berwick 13 (she loved the rest of the course). I told her that might disqualify me and indirectly her from GCA.com.

Ira

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »
Royal Melbourne West is at #7.  After watching the Presidents Cup, maybe its to low.  Thoughts.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »
Royal Melbourne West is at #7.  After watching the Presidents Cup, maybe its to low.  Thoughts.

I have been on here for a long time. My personal view is that this is the LEAST contentious course in the history of GCA.com.

Everyone - pros, hacks and in between seem to love that course...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:31:44 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

JC Jones

« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »

I have been on here for a long time. My personal view is that this is the LEAST contentious course in the history of GCA.com.

Everyone - pros, hacks and in between seem to love that course...

I was speaking with a friend of mine last night who has seen roughly 90% of the current GOLF world 100 and has seen probably 20 courses in Australia along with a bunch of unranked courses all over the globe.  In his opinion, Royal Melbourne is not a top 10 course, maybe not top 30.  He wont come on here and make the argument himself so its moot to try and discuss it but I really wish he would.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2019, 06:53:50 PM »

We are required to vote for a top three in the GOLF Magazine polling . . . if you don't, you can only vote for seven courses in the top ten.  [It's a strange system.]

I voted for Royal Melbourne in the top three.

Or, you could believe JC's anonymous friend.  After all, he or she has seen almost as many of the top 100 as I have.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back