News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian_L

January Golf in Melbourne
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:18:14 AM »
Hi all,

I will be making my first trip to Australia in January, armed with my clubs and the new Confidential Guide.  I would love the group's thoughts on a solid course with a good local feel. While the "holy grail" courses are amazing and I may look to play one during my trip, some of my favorite rounds away from home have come from the opportunity to share a round with a local golfer or two.

Happy to hear any and all thoughts on which courses might fit this description. And of course, if anybody wants to join up for a round feel free to PM me. I am in Melbourne Jan 2-4 (perhaps the morning of the 5th as well).

Separately, I will be driving to Adelaide over three days, so feel free to shout out any courses worth stopping at for a quick 9 or 18 along the way.

Many thanks,

Ian

Scott Champion

Re: January Golf in Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 02:32:19 AM »
Port Fairy fits both of those categories. Underrated, great value and on the way to Adelaide.

Brian Walshe

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:45:27 AM »
Second call out for Port Fairy.  The course is really good, the club itself is very welcoming and it's stupidly cheap.  The town of Port Fairy is very pretty and has some excellent accommodation, restaurant and café options.  It will be a busy place in January as it's school holidays and Port Fairy is a popular holiday spot.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »
I played Mt. Gambier and enjoyed it.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 01:59:03 PM »
prime golfing weather, but will be the hottest as well.  I played the end of Jan/beginning of Feb this year and was traveling from Chicago which was the coldest city in the world that day to Sydney which was the hottest city in the world. ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
Unless you have future trips planned to Melbourne, you would be making a huge mistake to skip Royal Melbourne West and Kingston Heath. That would be like visiting Monterey, being able to access Cypress Point, and going to Poppy Hills instead. Why?

Ian_L

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 11:27:24 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated.

John, fully appreciate your point. My dates don't seem to match up with the clubs' available visitor tee times, but it may yet work out to play Kingston Heath. I like playing a mix of (justifiably) famous courses and solid local haunts.

Ian

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 01:08:16 AM »
Ian_L
Horsham is worth a visit on the way through - it would be my second choice to Port Fairy.It can be very hot in Horsham in January, so don't plan on a late round.  Check the weather forecast before you plan your road travel and golf commitments.
It won't be as hot at Port Fairy.

I am in Adelaide myself.
James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 01:38:34 AM »
Ian are you going to try and hit Tasmania or King Island? Tasmania is easier to get to and a real treat. Although you are already in Melbourne one of the top 3 places in the world for golf itself.  ;D
First world problems.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Greg Gilson

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 02:38:22 AM »

Ian, I will be just south of Melbourne those dates. I am a member at Yarra Yarra & The National. Let me know if I can assist. Thu-Sat are not ideal days for non member play but it can be managed.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »
Ian,

There are a few members of this forum who may be able to assist you with getting on the likes of at Kingston Heath or Royal Melbourne.  Hopefully, they will chime in.

As to lower level clubs, Woodlands and Spring Valley probably fit the bill of courses which offer good quality sandbelt golf with a good local golfer feel.  I'd be able to arrange a game for you at Spring Valley.

I second the other comments regarding courses on the way to Adelaide - Port Fairy as first choice, or Horsham which is on the more direct route to Adelaide (make sure it's a morning round as you could potentially get 40C degree temperatures at that time of year).   

Ian_L

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 12:08:02 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your advice and invitations to meet up, both on this thread and privately.  If this board is any indication of the welcoming nature of Australians, it will be an incredible trip. I'll reply personally to those of you who have contacted me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back