News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Your worst photogolphic experience.
« on: November 19, 2019, 11:54:51 AM »
Sure I’ve been attacked by drones a couple of times but even that isn’t as personal as begging a close friend just to get on with the golf. I get on the first round of Pebble but on the second round in three days? On a rainy day in Indiana I’m sitting in a coffee shop tying to fill the time waiting on my Reuben. As my mind wondered to that sweet place of the sights and shots a trip to Monterey often provides I am haunted by a single image repeated time and time again. That of a clinched ass man in grey holding his phone in front of a sparsely coifed skull. I’ve been robbed, which is fair, but the question remains...For what purpose?

Tim Martin

Re: Your worst photogolphic experience.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
Sure I’ve been attacked by drones a couple of times but even that isn’t as personal as begging a close friend just to get on with the golf. I get on the first round of Pebble but on the second round in three days? On a rainy day in Indiana I’m sitting in a coffee shop tying to fill the time waiting on my Reuben. As my mind wondered to that sweet place of the sights and shots a trip to Monterey often provides I am haunted by a single image repeated time and time again. That of a clinched ass man in grey holding his phone in front of a sparsely coifed skull. I’ve been robbed, which is fair, but the question remains...For what purpose?

Were said photos ultimately uploaded and shared on Instagram?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »

Pebble 2 times in 3 days?

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »

As my mind wondered to that sweet place of the sights and shots a trip to Monterey often provides I am haunted by a single image repeated time and time again. That of a clinched ass man in grey holding his phone in front of a sparsely coifed skull.

Where is Diane Arbus when you need her?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »

I am not on Instagram so have no way of knowing. Even if they are why should I be robbed of my own memories of a great day of golf? You see, I don't think people who are taking photos understand that they become part of the landscape when they quit being golfers and become photographers. I think we can all agree that either a photo or memory on a golf course is not spoiled by the inclusion of golfers. This is a much different argument than the typical pace of play question. This is the obstruction of the natural beauty of the struggle of man against nature. While I understand that the inside of a movie theater of quite different than that of a golf course I see little difference in the obstruction that may be caused by the use of a phone.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »

I am not on Instagram so have no way of knowing. Even if they are why should I be robbed of my own memories of a great day of golf? You see, I don't think people who are taking photos understand that they become part of the landscape when they quit being golfers and become photographers. I think we can all agree that either a photo or memory on a golf course is not spoiled by the inclusion of golfers. This is a much different argument than the typical pace of play question. This is the obstruction of the natural beauty of the struggle of man against nature. While I understand that the inside of a movie theater of quite different than that of a golf course I see little difference in the obstruction that may be caused by the use of a phone.

I don’t think that you should be robbed of any memories as a result of overzealous photographers.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
Those who insist on documenting every waking moment on a golf trip on social media can greatly reduce the amount of trips tolerated by an employer or spouse.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »
I think we could all agree that a defined etiquette on golf course photography would be a great thing for the enjoyment of the game.

On the other end of the spectrum while playing MPCC my friend who is a member asked if I wanted to stop and take a picture on top of a tee that is a common spot for pictures. I was unprepared for the request and did a quick evaluation of the situation and declined. As I told my buddy I could think of no one in my life who cared and or would benefit from seeing me golfing. Thankfully and surprisingly he agreed. Thinking back I most probably behaved poorly and should have happily agreed to the photo.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »

You just don't get a better trip to document by photograph than the following:

Rustic Canyon
Valley Club of Montecito
Pasatiempo
MPCC Shore
Pebble
Spyglass
Pebble
Cal Club
Olympic Cliffs

I can't argue that most sane individuals with access to a camera on their phone would have an extensive photographic documentation of their trip. The question I am trying to answer with this thread is at what cost.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »

You just don't get a better trip to document by photograph than the following:

Rustic Canyon
Valley Club of Montecito
Pasatiempo
MPCC Shore
Pebble
Spyglass
Pebble
Cal Club
Olympic Cliffs

I can't argue that most sane individuals with access to a camera on their phone would have an extensive photographic documentation of their trip. The question I am trying to answer with this thread is at what cost.

I never tire of hearing stories of people inadvertently outing themselves on social media. Private Investigators have taken it on the chin in a big way since the advent of Facebook.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
Even at the conclusion of our trip as we are walking to our vehicle to finish packing and transport ourselves to the airport it doesn't end. Suddenly one of my buddies is engulfed in a bear hug so full of affection that I am stricken with envy. Why not me I ask myself as I prepare to continue down through a full parking lot rarely seen on a Sunday afternoon at a private club. An inspirational site to behold. Then comes the sirens cry of modern society. Picture, picture please, we so need a picture of this event where even a hug in not enough. Rather than continue with a perfectly planned day I comply and climb up a small incline, smile, suck in my tits, pose, listen for a click that never comes and eventually awkwardly move on. I so wish I had just simply said no thanks.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
Even at the conclusion of our trip as we are walking to our vehicle to finish packing and transport ourselves to the airport it doesn't end. Suddenly one of my buddies is engulfed in a bear hug so full of affection that I am stricken with envy. Why not me I ask myself as I prepare to continue down through a full parking lot rarely seen on a Sunday afternoon at a private club. An inspirational site to behold. Then comes the sirens cry of modern society. Picture, picture please, we so need a picture of this event where even a hug in not enough. Rather than continue with a perfectly planned day I comply and climb up a small incline, smile, suck in my tits, pose, listen for a click that never comes and eventually awkwardly move on. I so wish I had just simply said no thanks.

John, To play that list of courses I would happily pose for some freaking pictures..............
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »
The sad truth is that my memory is in such disarray that I had to go back and review a previous thread to be able to list which courses we played in what order. As I sit here now I do wish I had a picture of the signs that lined Pasatiempo asking people not to piss in their bushes. As someone who lives on a golf course myself I would be interested in such a sign if I was not so offended by people who put funny signs in their yard. Once I complimented a physics professor about his funny bumper sticker referencing quarks. The next day while walking to class I saw that he had ripped it off to the point it was unreadable. I think he passed me only so we never had to make eye contact again.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 03:04:01 PM »
Out of a sense of full disclosure: When playing with Josh Bills at TOC he filmed me hitting out of a famous bunker. I commissioned a painting from a still of that video that should arrive at my house this Thursday. I am very thankful that his camera was raised to document that event. Josh has an extensive social media presence and has posted pictures of said painting for those interested.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
Unless someone in your group is taking video of their ageing white rabbit while completing the round at Pebble you’ve got nothing to complain about.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
Unless someone in your group is taking video of their ageing white rabbit while completing the round at Pebble you’ve got nothing to complain about.

A reference to the rabbit was made on our drive to Pebble. While it did not warrant a chuckle it did lift the spirits of all involved.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 04:10:03 PM »

Pee Wee!
Just one of the best/strangest threads ever...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18015.msg319000.html#msg319000

;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
Wow FBD!

Pee Wee!

A wonderful segue, by you Sir, considering JK had not long before mentioned Wee Pee(ing) signs in the gardens bordering Pasatiempo fairways!

Top marks, Colin.
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Carl Rogers

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
The photos, only a few, should act to re-kindle the memory, not as a substitute for the experience.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 10:35:58 PM »
Don't golf with photographers.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Sweeney

Re: Your worst photogolphic experience. New
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 06:09:56 AM »
For what purpose?

My first trip to Sand Hills led me to this site, and it was the photography that stood out on GCA.com.

I think there is an argument that the clunkiness of posting a picture to GCA.com is a good thing as it takes time and thoughtfulness to post a picture. The process seems to self-select the good photos because it takes time.

That said, I don't think Jaka is entirely wrong as these situations are always nuanced. I have played with Joe and Ran (two well known photographers on the site) a number of times, and honestly the photo taking never bothered me. I viewed it as part of our community of sharing golf experiences. However, if someone is talking on their phone while playing golf, in an elevator or at the gym, it drives me bonkers so I do accept your personal issue with photos.

I will also say that while I really enjoyed the recent Drone video on the other thread, when you are flying drones and violating FAA regulations at one of the 2-3 biggest terrorist targets on the West Coast for the benefit of golf goobers, Jaka is not always wrong.

#AeternusUmbra
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:39:17 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 06:30:17 AM »
I will admit, I used to be that guy that took pictures all the time.  I wanted a full course profile of every new good course I played.  I took 3-6 pictures of every hole.  At the end of the round I would always reflect on the pictures, but then I realized I never really took in the experience while I was playing.  I was always more focused on when I could get a picture in. 

When I switched to working in turf.  I pretty much gave up taking pictures all together.  I have learned that time spent on the golf course should be cherished and enjoyed.  Now when I see my playing partners always pulling out there phone taking pictures left and right, I can see how that can be an annoyance to others in the group.   Instagram has definitely ratcheted up picture taking as everyone wants to show their friends which course they played. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back