News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

Re: GCA Get-Together 2020 Pittsburgh
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 02:59:41 AM »
Count me in as well, especially if world renowned hickory golfer Kevin Lynch attends.  Oh, and the Oakmont tour sounds like fun.  The closest I've gotten to the course is driving under the bridge on the PA Turnpike!

V_Halyard

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
The TeeShirter and I were discussing on the Mess, the imminent shipping of the tee shirts, and we got to thinking, wouldn't Pittsburgh be a cool place for a get-together of GCA folk?

A) Are you interested? (comment below)

B) Can you suggest an accessible course? (comment below)

Ronald, we chatted a bit on this offline. Wondering if the group is looking for an all Public Course Trip or a Public/Private Mix? (Within reasonable Cost and distance of Pittsburgh)
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 07:45:21 PM »
I think what we need, first and foremost, is a sense of numbers. Guys who would go, no matter which courses were arranged, At that point, we can work out dates and courses. I think that numbers determine where we can play, more than anything.

I wasn't thinking Oak, Fox, Long or any of the other, elite courses in the 'burgh. I imagined that denizens might leap into the discourse with suggestions (a la Cirba, despite not being a denizen) for courses. My principle goal was camaraderie. As I told Vaughn, however, what turns out is what turns out.

My world is defined by coaching (unavailable in spring and fall, due to demands) and teaching (can't skip work for golf) so summer is my getaway time. I don't want this opportunity to be incumbent on me, so keep your thoughts and desires coming. We'll make it happen.

rm
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 08:05:00 PM »
Depending on schedule I might be able to make it work as well.  I am in Pittsburgh a couple times a year for business normally.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Steve Lang

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Ms Sheila and I would be interested in a Three Rivers Rendezvous, if we can get a tour of the T-Shirt shop or Oakmont! 

We were wondering if we'd recognize George, 20 years or so after the Land of Enchantment Tour??  Pretty sure we'd recognize that left to right game!  Public or private, great excuse to meet up with folks. 

Some one throw out a schedule, we'll try... will be on the 45th parallel in Pure Michigan June-Sept

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Emerson

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
In
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

archie_struthers

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »
 8)

Love Pittsburgh golf, hopefully would be in !

Doug Bolls

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 11:30:37 PM »
I would look forward to meeting some of you guys and playing some courses I haven't played.  I'm in.
Doug

Josh Bills

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
I'm 3 hours away, but would be interested. 

V_Halyard

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
I'm in because I think it might get me a Cobbs Creek VIP All-Access BackStage Pass with Cirba and Bausch.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
Count me in as well, especially if world renowned hickory golfer Kevin Lynch attends.  Oh, and the Oakmont tour sounds like fun.  The closest I've gotten to the course is driving under the bridge on the PA Turnpike!
Andy,

Don’t feel too bad. I think I was banned from Oakmont......during the famous tree removal project.....just for saying “Oakmont” on GCA!
Tim Weiman

MCirba

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 07:30:47 AM »
I'm in because I think it might get me a Cobbs Creek VIP All-Access BackStage Pass with Cirba and Bausch.

Word on the street is they're vastly overrated.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bill Crane

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »
If the date works out, I would really enjoy being involved.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
Where we are, is here: We are looking at a local, private club (DJRjr, undergoing work from a pair of good guys) and one of the munis. We would have the pair of good guys come to said local private club for a chat 'n chew, and play the course. We would also play one of local munis, based on recommendations. We would try to schedule the free Oakmont tour; this would tie us to a Monday for the tour. We would attend a Pirates game and hang out in the golden triangle. We might get a t-shirt factory tour, along with the opportunity to purchase shirts at twice their value, but that's up to GP.

Here's are potential dates when Pirates are home, with home-game dates in bold:
  • May 31-June 3 (Tuesday 2-Reds)
  • June 14-17 (Tuesday 16-Yankees)
  • June 28-July 1 (Monday 29-Rockies; Tuesday 30-Rockies)
  • July 19-22 (Tuesday 21-Padres)
  • August 2-5 (Monday 3-Brewers; Tuesday 4-Brewers)
  • August 16-19 (Tuesday 18-Tigers)
Let us know your best dates, and we will determine if we can move forward with a Pittsburgh event (cheesy name to be used on social media comes later) for 2020. TRANSPARENCY: Had to remove the name of the hoped-for club, as it is not yet confirmed.

rm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:11:50 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

MCirba

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2019, 09:21:47 PM »
And if you haven't been to Pittsburgh before oh, it is an ultra-cool City and a Hidden Gem.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

V_Halyard

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »
And if you haven't been to Pittsburgh before oh, it is an ultra-cool City and a Hidden Gem.
Seems to be a beautiful day in the neighborhood...
#CouldntHelpIt

Greg Hohman

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »
The South Park clubhouse, an architectural curiosity built in 1939, is worth a look. Are the grille and brick terrace still in use? Stupidly, I forgot to check in 2016.

Also worth a look in anticipation of the munis is Carnegie Museum of Art's online archive of the work of photographer Charles "Teenie" Harris:

cmoa.org/art/teenie-harris-archive

Searching the word golf gets 277 results.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:24:55 AM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Carl Rogers

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »
I would like to be in, please.  Blackout dates are Midwest Mashie and if played, the Dixie Cup.  August 14 to August 17 is out. l do not like to play in 55 degree or below temperature.
Otherwise dates are 100 percent flexible.
Don't know any courses in the area, so flexible in that regard.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:02:12 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jim Sherma

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
It's been too long since I've done a GCA event. Definitely interested. Won't know availability until I find out my clubs' tournament schedules.

Willingly admit that Kevin Lynch is a marquee draw. I've never experienced the whole package other than at Ballyhack.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2019, 11:52:39 PM »
Notre Dame is at Pitt for football on Oct. 17 a Sat probably an evening game. I would love to see that and tie in golf.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »
Sounds like a great time and will try to make this once dates are set.  Pittsburgh is indeed a great town and an even better one to catch a ball game and round of golf. 

John Foley

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
Interested and would love to attend as long as the dates are clear.
Integrity in the moment of choice

astavrides

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
The South Park clubhouse, an architectural curiosity built in 1939, is worth a look. Are the grille and brick terrace still in use? Stupidly, I forgot to check in 2016.

Also worth a look in anticipation of the munis is Carnegie Museum of Art's online archive of the work of photographer Charles "Teenie" Harris:

cmoa.org/art/teenie-harris-archive

Searching the word golf gets 277 results.

Thanks for that!

Greg Hohman

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2021, 03:36:35 PM »
Paul Rudovsky posted today that Bob O'Connor/Schenley Park is being rebuilt. The "Arnold Palmer Learning Center" (under construction) looks impressive, but I wish the old clubhouse could have been saved. Anybody have info about changes to the course?

The place has a new website: http://thebobgc.com

Recent newsletters were no help. 
newmonumentsgc.com

Bill Brightly

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2021, 05:56:20 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back