News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

Ojai and Soule Park
« on: November 11, 2019, 09:00:33 PM »
How would people rate these two courses in the Ojai Valley on the Doak scale?  I see Ojai is a George Thomas design but not sure how much remains.  Soule looks like a Billy Bell layout that has been partially restored by Hanse.

Any thoughts from people and how would you balance 10 rounds between the two?

Making a first trip to the Ojai Valley in April. 

Brent Carlson

Re: Ojai and Soule Park
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »

James,

I've played each course once, so I'm far from an expert.  Both are enjoyable rounds.  I rate them both Doak 5 and would play Ojai 6-4 over Soule.  Ojai left me with more interest in what was there originally.  Scott Weersing posted an article that features great research by Tommy N.  Some of the holes could be restored but not everything.  The hotel took property from the golf course.  Wait until you see 'The Farmhouse'.  It destroyed two holes. You will enjoy the round however.  Great ambiance. 

https://thefriedegg.com/ojai-valley-inn-golf-course-review/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:02:27 PM by Brent Carlson »

Brent Carlson

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:01:21 PM »
double post

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 12:18:30 AM »
Ojai is a shell of it's former self. Hardly anything original remains. It's a Doak 5 at best.

Soule is a gem. Hanse and Wagner transformed the place. In proper conditions, it's 6.5-7.

I have played both courses about a dozen times each. I would play Soule 8 times out of 10.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:24:00 AM »
David is spot on!  I have played both of them at least a dozen times.  Soule Park pretty much got as much as the land would give Hanse.  Ojai makes you practically cry thinking about what had once been.  There are only a couple original greens, and the Carter Morrish work is pathetic at best! And what is worse, the resort promotes the fraud of having a restored Thomas, with a plaque commemorating how the lost Thomas holes have been restored, unfortunately, the old aerials show something different!

B.Ross

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
was up there last month, staying at the OVI, and skipped playing there to play soule instead. understand that the ask was purely about the holes, but soule park is $32 to walk whereas OVI is $150 minimum to ride (you can't walk). i really enjoyed soule park. holes 4/5/18 are great par 4.5's (5's on card but all can be had in 2 if you play the proper tees for your length) and 6 is a brutal par 3, almost a short par 4. the stretch 14-16 is also quite good, and if you play early, you'll play very fast. strongly recommend soule park

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back