News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Corby Robertson Jr. New
« on: November 08, 2019, 02:23:40 PM »
 https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-corby-robertson-jr/

Suppose you were incredibly well-off - how might you give back to golf?

We get an answer this month from Corby Robertson Jr., founder and visionary of Whispering Pines GC, located north of Houston near Trinity, Texas. Corby has been exposed to this secluded part of Texas for six decades (!), courtesy of his parents having bought land there in 1963. That's a long time ago - I know, as I was born that year.  :-[ Corby founded Camp Olympia with a friend in 1968, and much later, he tinkered around and built 3 holes that were so well-received that he was encouraged to keep going.

Before doing so, he asked one key question. In his own words, he explains, 'The question that I asked before the undertaking: what is golf missing? There are great golf courses everywhere. There are amateurs and pro tournaments everywhere, too. The only thing missing for golf was its participation in the Olympics (at the time golf was not a summer Olympic sport). There are many important attributes to the Olympics. The world comes together in peace to celebrate the universal human spirit, to share values and to realize hopes and dreams from every corner around the world.' Ultimately, he hired Chet Williams from the Nicklaus organization and Whispering Pines Golf Club opened in 2000.

While the course is surely among the best in Texas, what distinguishes Whispering Pines is its structure and philanthropic commitment. To play here, members join the Spirit Golf Association, a 501-C-3, and make a charitable donation to the entity. As Corby explains, ‘The SGA receives annual membership contributions and each member receives rounds and privileges at WPGC. The value of their rounds is not tax deductible and the rest of the contribution is a charitable deduction. SGA member contributions are made to the SGA, a charitable organization that has 501-C-3 tax designation. The SGA and the WPGC also promotes amateur golf and has hosted AJGA tournaments, the Big 12 Conference Golf Championship and the Texas Amateur Championship for the Texas Golf Association.’

Joe and I played there six years ago. The course rests naturally on undulating land with a routing that rubs past specimen trees and large expanses of sand. It reaches a crescendo at the 13th where you break out alongside Caney Creek and now natural waterways, inlets, and lakes punctuate the golf from that point on. The truly exciting home stretch reminded us both of Harbour Town and how that course builds throughout the round. We saw the makings of the Needler (either a warm-up or warm-down nine) but it hadn't opened at the time. Remember though this was in 2013, well before every other place seemingly pursued a par 3 course, and it's another example of Corby being ahead of the curve, not playing catch-up.

The Whispering Pines story is a neat one: A man attached to an area gives back to the sport that he dearly loves by hosting and staging amateur golf. Membership is full, so clearly many others in this proud state have 'cottoned' to the idea and also feel strongly about its support. I wish there more stories like this! Amateur golf is golf; 99.9% of all players who play the game are amateurs and so it is nice to see the spotlight shine on the sport's core. Hats off to Mr. Corby Robertson Jr. - few people have contributed so much, so well.

You can stream The Spirit International 2019 right now at golfweek.com.

Best,
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:25:48 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Mike Sweeney

Re: Feature Interview with Corby Robertson Jr.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 05:05:42 AM »
Really inspiring interview. Thanks Ran for opening the conversation with Corby Robertson. It is easy to get snarky these days towards the professionalism of sports, including Amateur sports.

This is a really cool story, and I hope to take a few things in the interview and apply it to my not-golf life. I really love the closing:

Amateur golf is the foundation of the game. Amateurs are the audiences for the pros; amateurs buy the merchandise; amateurs volunteer their time in golf associations all over our country and world to honor golf’s finest traditions and make the game playable and available for everyone.

The golf pros are big business; amateurs play for the love of this great game!

Goat Hill Park Amateur Golfers - Oceanside, California

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:13:42 AM »
I didn’t realize WP was so philanthropic, I think it was very creative of Corby and his love for giving back allowed him to come to what I think is a genius model and one worth replicating isn’t he future for clubs. We all like to give back and his mission is touching many as are the members by extension.  Well done.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »

I believe it was Mr Robertson's father who bankrolled Pete Dye's new course for Austin CC in the 1980's.  Pete loved to tell the story of how he was given "an unlimited budget," and then at the end he was told he had exceeded it by $2 million - because the client had been assured by consultants there was no way Pete could spend more than $6m on it!  That's chump change now . . .

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 06:46:39 PM »

I believe it was Mr Robertson's father who bankrolled Pete Dye's new course for Austin CC in the 1980's.  Pete loved to tell the story of how he was given "an unlimited budget," and then at the end he was told he had exceeded it by $2 million - because the client had been assured by consultants there was no way Pete could spend more than $6m on it!  That's chump change now . . .

Tom,

In the spirit of "frank commentary", your post is gossipy and not informative about golf course architecture. I will adjust this post as appropriate modifications are made, but the Corby Robertson interview genuinely inspired me and I think it is an OPPORTUNITY to show the greatness of golf.

#AeternusUmbra
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:48:17 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

David Wuthrich

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 12:21:43 PM »
Tom, you are correct about the Pete Dye story.

Ran, thanks for the article on one of the "good guys" in my hometown of Houston.  Corby gets it!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back