News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Re: Flynn’s top 6 in Philly might be the best in an area by one designer.
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »
I heard a story about number 3 at WFW that Billy Casper laid up each day of the US Open rather than take on the well bunkered green. I see that as an indictment of the architecture of the hole.

The 14th at Rolling Green is a par three that allows a hook, a fade, a straight shot or even a layup. I don’t think WFW has a par three near it. Number 10 at WFW was one I liked. I’m not sure if I like it more than 10 at RG.

Mayday,

I would beg to differ. Casper laid up, because #3 at WFW was round-killer very early on the card.

At 192-243yds, "Pinnacle's" extensive bunkering and sloped green contours left very little room for any margin of error. Like anything at Rolling Green, it most certainly allows for any style of play, but slightly favors a fade. Casper exercised shrewd judgement in laying up, especially in light of the severity of US Open style grooming.

I take a little issue with Tom's statement either of the 2 front-nine par-3 holes "would be a castoff at Rolling Green, Manufacturers, or Lancaster." No doubt all three of those courses have wonderful sets of one-shotters, but I hardy think the terror of #3, or the demand on short precision on #7 would be castoffs anywhere, save for a Somerset Hills, Cypress Point, or a RMGC.

Lastly, although there is some question of derivative attribution, I'd offer that the examples of McKenzie-related architecture found on Melbourne's Sandbelt handily eclipse Philly's sextet....similar to the results of the last two Eagles games!

Steve,

I just want you to remember the Eagles win in the Super Bowl and the bet you made.

How many bets did he make!?  ;D

2....and they both will be paid off when I next see you two !!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2019, 01:43:40 PM »
Not 6, but William Watson is responsible for Interlachen, Minikahda, and WBYC all in the Twin Cities. A pretty good trifecta for a smaller market.

Or, another way to look at it is that Ross is largely responsible for five terrific courses in Minnesota, having redesigned Minikahda and Interlachen to the point where there's not much Watson left, as well as redesigning most of Willie Park, Jr.'s Minneapolis GC, Bendelow's Northland CC and designing Woodhill CC, which is largely untouched. Those inclined to do so can also give him credit for some undetermined work at WBYC.

Minnesota is not the population center that you would expect to find a half-dozen courses by one prominent architect, but Ross worked there a lot, and we are also fortunate to have outstanding courses by Tillinghast, Raynor, Stanley Thompson and Robert Trent Jones.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ted Sturges

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »
Pete and Alice Dye (Indiana):

Crooked Stick
Pete Dye Course at French Lick
The Fort
Brickyard Crossing
Kampen Course at Purdue
The Bridgewater Club

Two Doak 7's, and four 6's.

TS

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 04:28:47 PM by Ted Sturges »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back