News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The Naught Teens
« on: October 14, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »
10 years ago this month I took out on a road trip through Nebraska to find myself a course to join. It was to be a treat to myself for turning 50 in January of 2010. As many of you may know I settled on a struggling Dismal River. What a long strange ten years it has been. To be continued...

John Kavanaugh

Re: The Naught Teens
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »
Does anyone know the year that Colton joined Ballyneal or Huckaby got in Sand Hills? Or what were the years Dismal hosted the 5th Major? Each were milestones of the last decade.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »
I played Sand Hills for the first time with Mac Plumart and a couple of other guys. If any of you remember what year that was pleas let me know.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »
I need GPS to follow this thread.

...to be continued.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 09:24:24 PM »
It’s quite simple. I turned 50 in January of 2010. I’m trying to construct a timeline of my 50’s which coincide with what is commonly known as a decade. Interestingly enough now that I am turning 60 in 2020 I have started a new chapter in Orlando.

I was quite fortunate to have been born 10 days into the modern golf era. No less fortunate to have spent that fifth decade on a number of the finest courses in the world. I just can’t remember it all on my own.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 05:47:56 AM »
It’s quite simple. I turned 50 in January of 2010. I’m trying to construct a timeline of my 50’s which coincide with what is commonly known as a decade. Interestingly enough now that I am turning 60 in 2020 I have started a new chapter in Orlando.

"From Dismal to Disney - The Kurdish nomadic decade of a GCAer in search of the anti-Doak" :)

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Kline

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 06:31:53 AM »
Does anyone know the year that Colton joined Ballyneal or Huckaby got in Sand Hills? Or what were the years Dismal hosted the 5th Major? Each were milestones of the last decade.

I'm pretty sure I played Ballyneal in 2008 with Colton. So it was at least that long ago.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 07:03:15 AM »
What year was the Colton raffle to help the young man injured in a skiing accident? I won an outing at The Prairie Club so it had to be after 2010.

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
Florida’s friendliest hometown???

Bob Montle

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
John, I'm ten years ahead of you, in that I turned 70 in January.
But behind you in that when I was your age I had never golfed out of the country and never heard of GCA.
This decade for me saw five trips to Great Britain, two 5th majors at Dismal, two Dixie Cups, one Buda and a chance to meet many of most friendly and knowledgable golfers around - my fellow GCA-ers.
My biggest disappointment was missing the last day of Buda last month due to back pain and a relapse of Mono.   But meeting folks like Marty, Sean, Tony, Jerry and others made it all worthwhile. 
Thanks to Ran for all of you that I have had the pleasure of meeting due to the existence of GCA
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Buck Wolter

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 10:01:19 AM »
I expect to see you with Chamblee and Ginella on IG playing the WP9
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Billsteele

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
You are the last person I expected to need a ghostwriter.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 10:18:42 AM »
I expect to see you with Chamblee and Ginella on IG playing the WP9

My ole buddy Buck. If memory serves I closed out my 40's with you at Norwood Hills. It took me years to realize why I quit going to St. Louis. Internet shopping...my wife no longer needed to go to a city so she could shop. And thus as the malls died remote destination golf came alive.

No doubt Orlando is where it is at as 2020 approaches and those in the know move away from the coasts. I don't escape the confines of Disney often but when it do I find myself in Winter Park. As all good things do I'll let Chamblee and Ginella come to me.

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 10:51:32 AM »
... and a couple of other guys.

Guess I'll raise my hand here. Thanks for the memories. :-*

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »
John,
The first 5th Major I attended was June 2012. I'm certain you were there. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
Bruce, thanks for the update. We had some great times out there. You got anything going on anywhere else now?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back