News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: A Week in E Lothian and Northumberland: Bamburgh Castle - WOW
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
Looks like it could be a peat bog or something like that.  I'm guessing you step on it and may sink down a bit, like Scottish quicksand?

Bear Grylls got in one on a Scottish Highlands episode and they look to be pretty nasty...  ;)

That picture lies or we both need to go to Specsavers (uk reference!).

I took Dinkie to be a local word for the inlet that you hit across on one.    The dark area falls away down to the sea and they are warning you to keep off the rocks.

PS as usual I can offer no proof whatsoever.

Tony,

That's a bit of an illusion with the shadow.  I looked at the aerial and that part doesn't fall off to the sea...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bamburgh+Castle/@55.6166029,-1.7287738,329a,35y,180h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4880aea65a02c42f:0xfc42605b9141c368!8m2!3d55.6089596!4d-1.7099001

It looks like none of the holes get within 50 meters of the rocks.  So the "dinkie" must be the gunch which i'm guessing gets quite soggy where you could lose a shoe or something.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:36:34 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 12:38:22 PM »
Bernie,
Ok, then. Be on the lookout for such a post in the next month or so. I have one other topic first.

One of the things friends ask me about a trip like this is how much did it cost? So I thought I would put a price on it. I shared a car with Jason and also a rental apartment, so that savings is reflected below.

Golf
Kilspindie  £59
Dunbar £60
Muirfield (2 rounds plus lunch)   £380
Alnmouth Village  £20
Warkworth   £20
Northumberland  £60 (This is normal rate – I paid less as member’s guest)
North Berwick (2 rounds)  £195
Goswick/Dunstanburgh Buda (5 rounds plus lunches)   £150
Bamburgh Castle  £25
Total golf  £969

Accommodation
Greywalls 3 nights (tiny room but includes breakfast)  £420
Airbnb 3 nights (share of total)  £216
Hotel by airport 1 night  £60
Total accommodation:  £696 

Travel in UK
Rental car (share of total)  £117
Fuel (share of total)  £56
Total travel  £173

Total works out to £1,838 or $2,254 for 14 rounds of golf, rooms for 7 nights, and a rental car. Of that expense, I could have easily saved £200 splitting an airbnb in Gullane, getting the cost down to $2,000. Of course, this doesn’t include all meals, but spending on that sort of thing is very variable. Yes, we saved some money by playing in the 3 day Buda but that’s also a terrific reason to make the trip over. Joining everyone at Kington in September would be a fine introduction.

For comparison, 7 days of 36 holes would cost you $2,730 at Bandon for just the golf and probably another $1,400 for rooms. Sand Valley would be a little cheaper, but not much. Ok, maybe most of us wouldn’t spend 7 days at one of those resorts, but you also don’t have to spend 7 days playing golf in Scotland/England.

Oh, and if there’s anything at a US resort like standing on the 18th tee at North Berwick, looking at the beautiful town setting and the sea and just praying you don’t hit a parked car on the right with your tee shot, let me know!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 12:47:10 PM »
Kalen,
Tony has stood on the 1st tee and looked at "the dinkie" in person, so his observation is a bit more credible than you seem to think. That or maybe you are misunderstanding what he means. The entire inlet does fall down to the sea. It's not a straight drop, but you're headed that way. A ball could stay up, but someone who went in to try to retrieve it might risk the ground shifting and an unpleasant result.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »
Kalen,
Tony has stood on the 1st tee and looked at "the dinkie" in person, so his observation is a bit more credible than you seem to think. That or maybe you are misunderstanding what he means. The entire inlet does fall down to the sea. It's not a straight drop, but you're headed that way. A ball could stay up, but someone who went in to try to retrieve it might risk the ground shifting and an unpleasant result.

Its all good John,

When he said he could offer no proof, I took that to mean he hasn't been there, but not a problem.  Either way, i'd be staying off the dinkie, especially if I had a few drinkies before hand.   ;D

P.S.  I noticed you didn't include airfare in your last post.  Frequent flyer miles or are you living in the UK now?

Jason Topp

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »
Bernie,
Ok, then. Be on the lookout for such a post in the next month or so. I have one other topic first.

One of the things friends ask me about a trip like this is how much did it cost? So I thought I would put a price on it. I shared a car with Jason and also a rental apartment, so that savings is reflected below.

Golf
Kilspindie  £59
Dunbar £60
Muirfield (2 rounds plus lunch)   £380
Alnmouth Village  £20
Warkworth   £20
Northumberland  £60 (This is normal rate – I paid less as member’s guest)
North Berwick (2 rounds)  £195
Goswick/Dunstanburgh Buda (5 rounds plus lunches)   £150
Bamburgh Castle  £25
Total golf  £969

Accommodation
Greywalls 3 nights (tiny room but includes breakfast)  £420
Airbnb 3 nights (share of total)  £216
Hotel by airport 1 night  £60
Total accommodation:  £696 

Travel in UK
Rental car (share of total)  £117
Fuel (share of total)  £56
Total travel  £173

Total works out to £1,838 or $2,254 for 14 rounds of golf, rooms for 7 nights, and a rental car. Of that expense, I could have easily saved £200 splitting an airbnb in Gullane, getting the cost down to $2,000. Of course, this doesn’t include all meals, but spending on that sort of thing is very variable. Yes, we saved some money by playing in the 3 day Buda but that’s also a terrific reason to make the trip over. Joining everyone at Kington in September would be a fine introduction.

For comparison, 7 days of 36 holes would cost you $2,730 at Bandon for just the golf and probably another $1,400 for rooms. Sand Valley would be a little cheaper, but not much. Ok, maybe most of us wouldn’t spend 7 days at one of those resorts, but you also don’t have to spend 7 days playing golf in Scotland/England.

Oh, and if there’s anything at a US resort like standing on the 18th tee at North Berwick, looking at the beautiful town setting and the sea and just praying you don’t hit a parked car on the right with your tee shot, let me know!

My wife asked how much this trip cost and I was able to respond - "A lot less than your trip to Patagoinia."

I added two nights in St. Andrews at an AirBNB for 75 a night a round on the Eden for about 50 pounds and a Hearts of Midlothian Football Match for around 45. 

Greywalls for three nights and playing North Berwick and Muirfield were the big costs associated with this itinerary. One could cut those out and save a significant amount. 

I find this sort of itinerary superior to joining the herds of golf tourists moving from one Open venue to the next.  The BUDA adds a lot to the experience because of our hosts. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »
Kalen,
I did mention that I played Bamburgh Castle with Tony & Jason, but no last names. Now you know.

Intentionally left off airfare. Not to be misleading or because it's free or even cheap - it's just incredibly variable depending on where you are flying from and when. For example, I just now picked a random week in June of next year. Using Kayak rates, it would cost me $638 to fly to Portland from Louisville. Double that if I went to London. But if I lived in Boston, London is cheaper than Portland. People are welcome to do their own airfare calculations. Shopping dates and destinations makes a huge difference in flight costs, but not nearly as much in the others.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2019, 04:07:52 AM »
Terrific thread John. Well done for putting the photos and narrative together.
Atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2019, 07:27:47 AM »
Thomas,

Thanks. I enjoy photo threads after they're done, but am generally too lazy to do many anymore. I marvel at how many Arble has managed, and unlike mine, his even include some insight.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2019, 06:36:25 AM »
I phoned the Club and ....they don't know either!

They think at some point someone at the Club named 'it' a Dinkie, but no one knows who, or when, or if it's in use anywhere else!

I look forward to the next time I'm stood on a seaside hole, with a carry over rocks/water and saying

"One of the finest Dinkies I've seen".

Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »
Yes but just imagine how better it will be to ask the question "Is that a reverse Dinkie ?"

Niall

John Mayhugh

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
Tony,
Thanks for trying. I emailed the Secretary and asked, but haven't heard back. I was assuming that I had been dismissed as some sort of nutter. Maybe he just didn't know how to answer.

Niall is on the right track, I see.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
A wee dink, in Scots anyway, is a cheeky wee chip, especially in Football - SOCCER!
As in:
https://www.facebook.com/549820158450383/posts/2289541564478225?sfns=mo

Love,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2019, 02:55:30 PM »
A wee dink, in Scots anyway, is a cheeky wee chip, especially in Football - SOCCER!
As in:
https://www.facebook.com/549820158450383/posts/2289541564478225?sfns=mo

Love,
F.

As a junior we used 'wee dink' for chip shots around the green too. Suspect it is as you say F

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back