News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:57:42 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Forrest Richardson

Re: Dave Bennett - ASGCA RIP
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 10:40:51 AM »
Did not know Mr. Bennett well, but he was always cheerful and I recall some laughs when he attended our ASGCA meetings. I recall a proud Texan who had lots of stories and was always thoughtful in acknowledging you and asking what you were up to. There is a generation of golf architects slowing fading away — too bad we have not better recorded their stories.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Dave Bennett - ASGCA RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »

Had I known he retired near Dallas, I would have visited.  Thought he was always in Austin.

Met Dave on my first ASGCA meeting, sitting next to him on the 9 hour plane ride.  It was clear he had been a good golfer at one time.  He said he would play one round with me, as long as I wasn't a "hack," saying he never shot over 74.  We did play, and he did shoot 74......but quit after 15th to protect that score, LOL (Also, his back was hurting him.) So, yes, he could be funny.  Texas LA license 007 giving him the right to kill plants.  Hilarious.

I remember him many years later at the GIS show in the ASGCA booth.  Had a rendering of one of his housing development courses, was showing it around because the pattern looked just like a frog.  Not sure why I remember that one.

Agree with Forrest, ASGCA is taping all of us old guys now, but there will probably be some gaps in the record for those post WWII guys before we started.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back