News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Crump Cup @ Pine Valley Sunday September 29 Public Invited
« on: September 23, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »

It’s time for the 95th Crump Cup at Pine Valley
By Joe Logan
Pine Valley Golf Club will host the 95th George Arthur Crump Memorial Tournament Thursday, Sept. 26 through Sunday the 29th.  The public is invited to view the final match on Sunday, Sept. 29th.  The gates will open at approximately 12:45 pm.
Parking and transportation arrangements are being handled by the Clementon Youth Athletic Association. Parking will be at the Clementon Lake Amusement Park (144 Berlin Road, Clementon, NJ 08021).  Signs will be posted to direct you to the designated parking area.Please remember, Clementon Police will not allow any parking along East Atlantic Avenue between Berlin Road and the Club.There will be a fee of $20 per car which includes parking and the shuttle bus that will operate between the park and Pine Valley.  There will also be a refreshment stand set up inside the front gate of the Club.  All proceeds from the parking and refreshments will benefit the Clementon Youth Athletic Association.Cameras, video, photographs and cell phones will not be permitted.In case of inclement weather on the day of the event, please call (856) 783-3000 and select option 4.

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=20348&pid=20
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:52:44 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Sweeney

Re: Crump Cup @ Pine Valley Sunday September 29 Public Invited
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:02:04 AM »
Extending the Philly tradition of hosting the Army Navy Football Game on a neutral site, Pine Valley Golf Club is hosting the Army Navy "Star Match" on October 5th and 6th in Clementon, NJ. There is no public viewing and it is my understanding that there will be very limited outside viewing for the teams too:

https://navysports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mgolf

I probably won't "make the cut line" for this historic event, but I credit Pine Valley for stepping up during a busy Fall weekend.

#GoNavyBeatArmy
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Bill Crane

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
P V  -  Good NAVY warm up for the Bucknell Invitational at the gem on the Susquehanna - Bucknell GC.

And..................  the following weekend at Elon Phoenix Invitational at Alamance Country Club - that fine Burlington County NC Donald Ross design.

;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:36:43 PM by Bill Crane »

Chris Mavros

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »

I decided to take my 5 year old son yesterday as a way to introduce him to why his old man loves this game so much.  Listening to his perspective on the course and how it was being played was fascinating. 

The matches we saw were captivating.  A near ace on the Tenth was one of the highlights, whereas I empathized watching one of the players needing two shots to get out of the woods on the Fifteenth. 

Walking the course and observing gave me refreshing insight.  I have played PV in the past and am always either ultra focused on each shot, am flailing for my life with recovery shots, or candidly out of position (read, off fairway) so it was nice to be able to take in some of those details. 

My kid enjoyed it so much we may make it an annual thing. 

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 07:44:23 AM »
 8)

The Crump Cup practice of opening the finals to the local population is such a good thing. The group that attends is from every walk of life and all seem proud of having a treasure in their home town such as this. It's way cool to watch those who have visited before giving their "local knowledge" to newbies.

JESII

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:58:13 AM »
Archie - did you ever have a winner?

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:55 AM »
 8) ;D

Yes, but  Jay Sigel didn't need anything except for me not to trip and injure him. Just give the yardage and keep from losing any clubs. He was one of the greatest amateurs ever and I can laugh now and say that Elmer took over for me when I retired.

The most fun I ever had caddying in the Crump was what I have often here dubbed "Bator's Revenge". In those days it was a one day qualifier for all the flights , now it's 36 holes. In the infamous qualifier circa 1981 one of the best superintendents of all time turned a supposedly benign PVGC into a hot mess of a golf course. Best day for a good caddie ever.   Still remember almost all the details of that crazy day!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:16:40 AM by archie_struthers »

Mike Sweeney

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

JESII

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Well that is about as cool as it gets!

JMEvensky

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 11:54:06 AM »

Well that is about as cool as it gets!

I wanted to ask Archie that myself and had planned to get Crump Cup stories over cocktails--shame my host didn't know how to operate a cell phone.

If you were going to caddie for one player in the Crump Cup, JS would be a pretty good bag to carry.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 03:59:43 PM »
Just from getting to ‘know’ him from his posts over the years, I think I’d be more interested in hearing JS’s stories about Archie than the other way around!
We gotta get a bunch of PV members on this board — with the promise that we’ll banish anyone who even hints at an access request — and have them share their impressions of our man Archie.

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
 ;D :D

When the poster becomes a postee it means two things, either he's old or dead, so we will refrain from Peter's kind thought for a few years please! :-* However their are a myriad of great stories about almost all the holes at PVGC.

Here is one personal favorite.

Rocky Carbone a 7 handicap looper but a plus 5 raconteur was in the middle of the fairway on #17 (Circa 1998 )   Rocky is about 5'5 and fairly stocky, an important fact!  With two bags on his back and given that gravity is in play he looks shorter. That summer day he was working for Terry Francona, who at the time was the Philadelphia Phillies manager. Francona was a decent player and is a big guy, almost a foot taller than the aforementioned Mr Carbone. 8)

Francona hits a good looking second heading straight for the pin, which for those who know the shot is quite blind given its uphill and the green sits in an island of sand. It's really hard to tell where it ends no matter how many times you have seen it played. Terry is excited about his shot, as he has a decent round going so he's jumping up and down trying to get a better look at the green 125 yards away. He asks Rocky whether its close which elicits the following classic response.

"Hey coach, will you scrunch down a little, no really come on down I need you to see something"  Francona bends down almost to his knees and looks over. "Now coach that's what I'm seeing , any other stupid questions" ?

Not a Crump Cup story but one that always makes me laugh!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:41:01 PM by archie_struthers »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »
   Not the Rocky story I was expecting.

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
 ;D ;D :P

Respectfully Jim,  you have no idea how many exist. He was so funny if occasionally out of bounds!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:36:06 PM by archie_struthers »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 09:37:50 PM »
   I’m sure I know 1%.  Caddied for me a couple of times.  Great fun.

JMEvensky

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 10:06:15 PM »

"Right club,wrong Jap"?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 10:16:12 PM »
8) ;D

Yes, but  Jay Sigel didn't need anything except for me not to trip and injure him. Just give the yardage and keep from losing any clubs. He was one of the greatest amateurs ever and I can laugh now and say that Elmer took over for me when I retired.

The most fun I ever had caddying in the Crump was what I have often here dubbed "Bator's Revenge". In those days it was a one day qualifier for all the flights , now it's 36 holes. In the infamous qualifier circa 1981 one of the best superintendents of all time turned a supposedly benign PVGC into a hot mess of a golf course. Best day for a good caddie ever.   Still remember almost all the details of that crazy day!

Archie, Dick Bator?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 05:58:55 PM »

"Right club,wrong Jap"?

👍😀

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back