News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

New golf course development on mid-California coast?
« on: September 24, 2019, 10:55:53 PM »

I heard a rumour today that there was a multi-course project mooted for the Vandenberg AFB land that has been mentioned here on and off over the years (see quoted posts below).

Has anyone heard similarly? Does anyone know anything more?

There is some wonderful dunesland on the California coast south of the Pigeon Point Lightouse and north of Ano Nuevo (near Gazos Creek). I believe it is in San Mateo County. It is bona-fide linksland. It is also part of the state park system. No chance!
This first link takes you to the point in which David speaks of:Ano Nuevo

While this link takes you to 1972 photos of the dunes in the restricted Vandenberg AFB property
Vandeberg Dunes

I've never seen it, but I suspect there is superb golf land on Vandenberg Air Force base, which covers about 20 miles of the Pacific coastline west and north of Santa Barbara. Then, north of Vandenberg are about five miles of cliffs (Point Sal), followed by 20 miles of sand dunes up to Pismo Beach.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:58:40 PM by Scott Warren »

Mike Sweeney

Re: New golf course development on mid-California coast?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 06:40:40 AM »
Obviously we are in new terrain here in the good ole USA, but Vandenberg AFB is a REALLY secure facility and it is now slated as one of two main bases for "US Space Command":

https://spacenews.com/u-s-space-commands-major-components-will-be-based-in-california-and-colorado/

Maybe our Air Force Pilot (retired) will see this, but I just don't see them letting golf goobers in there....
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »
According to some small group of experts, it's impossible for it to be bona fide linksland.

Plate tectonics
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:50:56 AM »

I heard a rumour today that there was a multi-course project mooted for the Vandenberg AFB land that has been mentioned here on and off over the years (see quoted posts below).

Has anyone heard similarly? Does anyone know anything more?

I only know about it second-hand.  It's been pursued, slowly, for several years now.  There are already layouts for at least two courses.  But the politics of getting approvals are impossible to predict, so there isn't much use talking about it until there is a green light on that end.

Presumably, since it's on Federal land, the project is exempt from the clutches of the California Coastal Commission, but since Washington, D.C. and California are in court about every other aspect of American life, do not be surprised if this project eventually adds to the list.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
I'm a little familiar with this project and it's still in contract negotiations and environmental review.

No announcement or approval is imminent.

Sam Kestin

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 03:33:08 PM »
I've also heard some rumors about a redesign/renovation/restoration/reimagining of the course at Sandpiper Golf Club just north of Santa Barbara. The land they've got there is pretty special and it sure seems to me like there is a ton of potential for something truly amazing on the site.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
I've also heard some rumors about a redesign/renovation/restoration/reimagining of the course at Sandpiper Golf Club just north of Santa Barbara. The land they've got there is pretty special and it sure seems to me like there is a ton of potential for something truly amazing on the site.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66849.msg1597788.html#msg1597788
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 04:13:08 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »

I spent a bunch of time looking at that site a few years ago.  Again, much depends on what the Coastal Commission would let you do.  But assuming that they won't let you make cuts right along the cliff edge, it's a tough puzzle to crack.  I've always thought the routing was not very good, but I did not come up with one I thought was great in my own attempts, and not for lack of effort.

I'm sure someone else will come in someday and prove me wrong - but only if the Coastal Commission lets them.  I'd have to guess that would be a hard sell right there in Santa Barbara.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »

I've talked with several architects who have looked at the property. I assumed Ty Warner was just jerking people around, dangling the site as bait.

Now that Montecito CC is finished, maybe he'll focus on Sandpiper and take on the CCC. 

DFarron

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 06:17:08 PM »
Last weekend I drove down Highway 1 to Cambria, spotted several parcels of land that would be perfect for golf the most promising near the Point Sur Naval Facility.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of the proposed C & C daily-fee course on the coast north of Los Angeles, maybe Santa Barbara?  The site was on the coast, formerly used for oil storage and logistics, and had some contamination.  Nearly 10 years and $3 Million in planning, the developers finally pulled the plug because the finish line kept moving into an indeterminable future.

Somewhere in my stored files I have a prospectus which showed that the course was to be squeezed between the ocean, hilly terrain and a busy railroad line.  It was some 25 years ago when I met with the project's attorney and I can only imagine that the then nearly impossible approval process has only gotten more difficult.  With the acute water shortages in the state, is new golf course development even possible?

David Kelly

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »

About 15 years ago Sandpiper had a plan for a luxury hotel to be built next to the course - on the north side of #10 and hired Johnny Miller's firm to renovate and re-route the course.  They even had a giant course map with Miller's new routing in the clubhouse.  If I recall he changed the routing so that many holes went perpendicular to the ocean with many more greens and tees near the edge of the property.  It all came unraveled shortly after that.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Kelly

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 10:17:12 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of the proposed C & C daily-fee course on the coast north of Los Angeles, maybe Santa Barbara?
Dos Pueblos.

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/gcnew/article/1994mar3c.pdf
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Thanks David.  That was the one.  My recollection is that the project got close to the finish line two or three times, only to have some outside group intervene to force a delay.  Does anyone know the status of the site? 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 10:54:13 PM »
John dos Pueblos?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back