News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Cruit Island (Ireland)
« on: September 24, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »
I know Cruit Island has been discussed on here before, but I thought I'd throw together a quick course tour in case anyone is considering a trip to northwest Ireland. There aren’t too many 9-hole golf courses in the world that you would go out of your way to play. However, Cruit Island is well worth the detour.

Caveat: The course is remote. The roads to get there are the width of a shoelace. The weather is likely to be severe, bordering on insane. And it’s all worth it.

It’s difficult to stand on the first tee and not find yourself spinning around, trying to take it all in. The human body is simply not equipped to handle a 360 degree view — an owl would be better served here. But to your right and behind you is coast and ocean and Owey Island. To your left is the clubhouse and glimpses of the course. And in front of you is a wall of dunes and thick grass. A walking path mowed into the hill gives you some indication of direction, but if you’ve never played here before, you’ll find yourself hitting and hoping. Oh, and there will likely be at least a 20 mph wind pounding you from seemingly all sides. The day I played Cruit in late July, it was warm and raining, with gusts well over 40 mph. Needless to say, I had the course to myself.

The 430-yard first hole takes you back out the entrance road to the eastern-most part of the property. The small green is nestled into the base of a hill and is fronted by a minefield of small knobs that will plinko any ball that land short.

At 422 yards, the par 4 second hole hugs the edge of the property. A miss to the right is a certain lost ball, but there is plenty of room out to the left. The left side of the rumpled fairway also gives a much better view of the green.

The third hole presents a new and unique challenge. From a tee perched high up on a hill, the fairway disappears over a sharp ridge, leaving a blind landing area. The par four is only 330 yards, but it is entirely exposed to the wind coming off the water. The green teeters on the edge of a cliff, so a second shot that misses long or right is going to get swept out to sea.

The tee shot on four is another knee-buckler. At first glance, it isn’t even clear where the hole goes. Until you notice a tiny sliver of fairway out to the left, on the other side of rocky cliffs. At 347 yards, it’s another short hole, but the blindness of the tee shot presents a serious challenge.

The 5th hole goes back down to the water. A 280-yard driveable par 4, it once again finds a green pressed up against the edge of a cliff. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of the hole is focusing on it, rather than looking ahead at what’s to come at the sixth.

The best hole at Cruit (and one of the great par 3s anywhere) is only 150 yards. Those 150 yards travel over a deep chasm, and jagged rock outcroppings, and bus-size grass mounds, and end at a small peninsula green that falls off into cliffs on three sides. Tough not to miss left here, which is the only miss that gives you a chance of a second shot.

It doesn’t get any easier at the seventh, which is the most dramatic tee shot on the course. The 320-yard hole runs along the coast, with the heavy surf ready to grab any wayward tee shots. The view from the tee will make you laugh, and if there is a strong breeze, just swinging a golf club without falling over is a mighty accomplishment.

The 8th isn’t a bad hole, but it can’t possibly hold up to the drama that came before it. A long par 3 at 213 yards, there is no ocean, or cliff, or dunes. In fact, the defining characteristic of the hole is the power line that runs its length. Not a very attractive design element. However, the somewhat bland 8th sets the stage for a very fun finish.

Turning back toward the clubhouse and the ocean, the finishing hole is 316 yards, with a rolling fairway that ends at a small green that fronts the beach. With the wind at your back, it is driveable for those willing to take the risk.

I can't really comment on the architecture here, because I'm not sure there is any. The course seems like a perfect example of the minimalist ideal ... locate a tee and a green, mow out some fairway, cut 9 holes and go play. A perfect day would be 18 at Narin & Portnoo, lunch at their clubhouse, and then laps around Cruit until the sun goes down.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:43:50 AM by Dan_Callahan »

Thomas Dai

Re: Cruit Island
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
Splendid post. Well done Dan.

I did a Cruit photo-tour a few years back but Mr Photobucket has done his best to make the photos now pretty much invisible so these fine photos are very welcome.

If your on a golf trip to Donegal and you don't take the opportunity to visit Cruit you're daft. Once visited never forgotten and fine golf too.

atb

Jim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »
Site looks amazing.  Any comments about the greens: contours, slopes, speed, surrounds, etc?

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »
The greens were about as basic as it gets. Reminded me of some of the small, pitched greens you find on old New England courses. I don't think a whole lot of shaping went into them. And it's tough to comment on speed, because it was raining and incredibly windy when I played. I can't imagine they could get them rolling too fast with the amount of wind that site must get. The fun of the course is tee to green ... and the views ... and the terrain.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Cruit Island (Ireland)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
Thanks for the tour. I have long wanted to get up there but haven't made the trek yet. It looks better than I even thought it would. The terrain looks pretty severe and the rumpled fairways look perfect.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:46:55 PM »
Thanks Dan - Truly inspirational imagery for what looks like a really fun opportunity to enjoy a day enjoying the walk on an elevated level.

Can't wait to get there soon'ish. Just wow!

Emil Weber

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:14:34 AM »
Thanks for this little tour Dan, the course looks spectacular. If I got it right, 7 of the 9 holes have the ocean in play in some way?

It seems like one of those romantically rough places where I'd just love to spend weeks at. Playing golf, reading, working... Reminds me of Durness on the north coast of Scotland.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 08:33:53 AM »
I can't really comment on the architecture here, because I'm not sure there is any. The course seems like a perfect example of the minimalist ideal ... locate a tee and a green, mow out some fairway, cut 9 holes and go play.
Dan,

Thanks for posting this tour. In my mind, locating a tee and green and doing some mowing IS architecture - especially when the land supports it. I thought the hand of man was used pretty well here. A bit crude looking, but that's not all bad. The greens had a good bit of interest for me. I don't believe a big budget could make a significantly better course here.

A few more pics for those that are interested.
DSC02904 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02922 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02945 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02947 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02948 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02971 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02973 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02975 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02978 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

A couple of interesting ways to deal with blind shots.DSC02928 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC02952 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The route to the course is as Dan describes.IMG_4467 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
IMG_4469 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
IMG_4470 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 09:24:27 AM »
\
Dan,

Thanks for posting this tour. In my mind, locating a tee and green and doing some mowing IS architecture - especially when the land supports it. I thought the hand of man was used pretty well here. A bit crude looking, but that's not all bad. The greens had a good bit of interest for me. I don't believe a big budget could make a significantly better course here.

Hi John,

Don't get me wrong ... I think Cruit is just about perfect in its rugged pureness. And I'm only guessing at what went into it's creation, but my guess is that the "architecture" consists of a thoughtful routing and that's about it. Which isn't to downplay its excellence. I feel the same way about the greens. I think they are perfect for the site. But I wouldn't want someone going there and expecting wild modern rolling undulating greens.

I could do laps at Cruit all day. And it's got to be near the top of the list in a ranking of best bang for your buck.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
In my view, these are the kind of courses that should be on the 147 list.

What a gem of golf course this looks to be...

Rob Rigg

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 09:44:47 PM »
In my view, these are the kind of courses that should be on the 147 list.

What a gem of golf course this looks to be...
Spot on Kalen - It looks like pure golf fun. Laps for days!
Thanks for the additional pics John - Just awesome.

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 05:23:05 AM »
Very nice.  Thanks for sharing.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jeff Schley

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 06:13:45 AM »
I just looked up where this course is and is pretty remote.  I really like the character of it and how raw it is.  You are playing blind for much of it and I'm sure wind is pretty pronounced there. If one were to make it to this area you would need a reason and playing there would be a pretty good one.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 06:27:18 AM »
I just looked up where this course is and is pretty remote.  I really like the character of it and how raw it is.  You are playing blind for much of it and I'm sure wind is pretty pronounced there. If one were to make it to this area you would need a reason and playing there would be a pretty good one.

It’s part of a 27 hole day with Narin & Portnoo for those looking to include it on a touring itinerary.

It’s at least 80 minutes away from other courses of note (Murvagh to south and Rosapenna to north).

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 06:35:05 AM »

I think it depends on your disposition. If you are willing to make a day of Cruit then its worth the drive.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »
There’s the 12-hole links at Gweedore about 20 mins from Cruit. And about 45 mins north is the unheralded links at Dunfanaghy, which is also a good village/town to use as a base if in the area.
Atb
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:34:19 AM by Thomas Dai »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 07:32:15 AM »
Dunfanaghy is where I stayed. The beaches there are unbelievable. And the pizza at the Rusty Oven is great.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 07:36:55 AM »
Cruit Island is worth going around at least twice.
I stayed at the Viking House Hotel - about ten minutes from the course.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 07:42:27 AM »
There’s the 12-hole links at Gweedore about 20 mins from Cruit. And about 45 mins north is the unheralded links at Dunfanaghy, which is also a good village/town to use as a base if in the area.
Atb

45 minutes north of Dunfanaghy puts you in the pool!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
I think he meant that Dunfanaghy is 45 minutes north of Cruit.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 08:18:42 AM »
Atb

This...
and pairing with N&P is a nice day for those based in Dunfanaghy or Rosapenna

Great pics Dan-awesome and IMHO an under rated course

Hard to believe that "surrounds" and "speeds" would enter the conversation even simply from looking at the pics

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »

Hard to believe that "surrounds" and "speeds" would enter the conversation even simply from looking at the pics

Can we talk about shot values?

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing these pictures and recap. Looks like an amazing place. Makes me want to throw my bag over my shoulder and get out there - now.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »
Cruit Island is truly a magical place... the kind of course that GCA'ers dream about.

Jerry Kluger and I visited after the Irish Buda a couple of years ago and we could not believe our good fortune. It makes you feel like a little kid, running unbridled on a playground. There is natural beauty, fun and amazement in every direction.

It would never happen, but Cruit Island (pronounced "Critch") would be a really special location for a Buda... think Painswick.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 12:14:01 PM »
Check out this drone video of Cruit Island: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4n2ZNv4Kro&feature=youtu.be
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back