News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

David_Tepper

Re: No Laying Up At Notts (Hollinwell)!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:24:17 PM »
And visits Formby Ladies as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AedGH0etl0M

jeffwarne

Re: No Laying Up At Notts (Hollinwell)! New
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KYkWB4F57s

The course itself looks very appealing-awesome terrain and texture
Not sure opening the video with subtitles of
"7250 yards"
 and
"public welcome"
 are the phrases that I would lead with,,, but....at least the Secretary did clarify later in the video
yes mostly semantics but...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:31:26 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »
The thought has occurred to me often: ie much too hard a golf course for me, and yet I can’t think of another course over 7200 yards that I’d rather play — whether or not I actually could play it, which I think I could since, despite being a card & pencil type, my ego would have no problem marking down many a 4, 5 and 6 instead of a 3, 4 and 5. To my eyes it seems like the rare course that was actually meant to play — designed to play, figuratively if not literally — at 7200 yards. And it’s one of the only courses I can think of that warrants/merits 5 sets of tees; somehow I’m not offended by this, here at Notts.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
Everyone says Notts doesn't feel as long as the stated yardage. That may be due to shortish par 5s, a few shortish 4s and no ball breaker short holes.  I would agree that Notts is very playable from at least the medal tees of ~6900 yards.  The problem for me is many of the fairway bunkers are out of play from this distance.  The consequence is some of the longer 4s may feel a bit of a slog.  However, the variety between the longer 4s is terrific.  The only serious drawback of the design (assuming the right tees are picked) is the greens...they are very average in interest.  I think the texture of the property make it easy to overlook any perceived shortcomings. 

We have discussed this before, but in general the best northern heathland courses are more rugged than the southern counterparts. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
Some videos of this ilk don't appeal to me, too long and too much joking around etc, but the two highlighted in this thread are pretty good and show up the courses well. Not sure the 'how did I score' bit is necessary though.
Nice to hear the positive and encouraging concluding comments about the length, fun factor, quick playing time at 'short' (ha, ha) etc delightful Formby Ladies.

atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 06:05:15 PM »
BTW-I have no issues with them having a set of tees at 7200 yards-they are a Final Open qualifying site after all-and with the warm weather of the last couple summers that's absolutely not long at all for better players

just not what I would lead with

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Nick_Christopher

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
The No Laying Up guys are doing a tremendous job with their new media business.  The Notts video is a great example.  They are bringing all of the best aspects of golf to a younger audience.  They "get it" and are providing outstanding golf content for free.  They show their personalities and make the videos entertaining and funny while highlighting the best aspects of destinations.  In no way do they claim to be a pure architectural focused group.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »

We have discussed this before, but in general the best northern heathland courses are more rugged than the southern counterparts. 

Ciao

This is because they are located on upland heath (which is basically moorland) rather than the lowland heath seen in the south which is gentler and more bucolic. And why northerners are tougher than southern wimps  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
I’ve watched a couple of the No Laying Up videos (tourist sauce) and like them.

The new season 4 is out in the next few weeks and is all about the west of Ireland. Should be fun.

William_G

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 12:20:44 PM »
The No Laying Up guys are doing a tremendous job with their new media business.  The Notts video is a great example.  They are bringing all of the best aspects of golf to a younger audience.  They "get it" and are providing outstanding golf content for free.  They show their personalities and make the videos entertaining and funny while highlighting the best aspects of destinations.  In no way do they claim to be a pure architectural focused group.

yes they have taken a golf boondoggle and made it their life for all to enjoy whether you are a golfer or not LOL
It's all about the golf!

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
"The new season 4 is out in the next few weeks and is all about the west of Ireland. Should be fun."

Speaking of NLU visiting Ireland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKy-PKjUuqs

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back